Welsh Ponies?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNR

Reaction score
Dose anyone own a welsh pony? I am curious about them if anyone has any info that you can share that would be great!

Thanks

RNR

RNR said:
Dose anyone own a welsh pony? I am curious about them if anyone has any info that you can share that would be great!
Thanks

RNR

477238[/snapback]

A friend of mine has a part Welsh of Farnley bloodlines on the stud's side - he is adorable - chestnut with 4 stockings and a big wide blaze. Her daughter did very well with him at hunter shows and has sadly outgrown him so the pony is being leased now and is teaching new little kids about ponies and riding.

He is a character - when he was boarded, he enjoyed getting loose and "terrorizing" the barn staff (I worked at the barn). He would peek around corners to see if we were coming to get him to take him back to his stall and he would literally try to hide or more than one occasion! If he wasn't so cute about it I might have been angry as I had 54 horses in the barn that two ladies and I had to feed, turnout and clean but he was just too cute to get mad at.

Denise

Silversong Farm

I bred "A"'s and "B"'s for a few years- just sold my last "B" and I'm working with a Cob- "D" at the moment- what do you want to know???

I have a friend that bought one as a weanling he is now going on two and she has had 2 babies her self since she got him he has NO trainning and to me seems very inteligent! I was wanting to take on the challnge of working with him! My question really is dose anyone have a SHow bill they could e-mail me so I cansee what kind of classes they do with them! Dose the welsh assosiaton have shows stuff like that!

Thanks

Rebecca

I know here in Minnesota the local Heart of Minnesota Welsh Club puts on a couple of shows a year. I haven't been to any but I know they do halter, driving and more riding classes than you'll see at a Shetland or mini show.

The Ponies-L list on YahooGroups has a ton of Welsh folks on it and would be a good place to look for info on where to find show bills, etc.

We currently own one "B" sized Welsh mare, of Bristol Pony Farm breeding out of Texas.

Larry was thinking of us getting into breeding Welsh ponies at one point, but we decided against getting into too many projects at once. She is the only one we still own and will be selling her. She is right now at a local trainers being trained to saddle.

One thing I did learn from the ones we owned for a short time is that IN GENERAL, Welsh ponies are gentle, fairly even tempered equine. They have several different height divisions (sections) that I never learned very well....
rolleyes.gif
..... but would be wise to learn if you plan on getting one.

Section B welsh are typical horse size (approx. 14 hands). Section A are pony size. Section D are Cob/Draft horse size. The registry divides each section by hands.

MA

Whoa- Section B are 14 hands?????? Real section B stop at 13.2 hh. "A" ponies stop at 11.2hh, and "B" are not governed by height- they can be tiny, just NOT big!!! Cross an A with a B you get a B irrespective of size- "A" is a closed book. "C" are cob ponies and sec D are 14.00 ( I think nowadays 14.4hh) and up.

Not sure about US/Canadian rules- those are the rules of the originating Society

Here is what I know from my experience with welsh and a local welsh club. Rabbits is correct on the heights each section in the US is governed the same as the UK as far as heights and divisions.

Welsh rock especially the section A and section C my two favorites
biggrin.gif
the welsh society in the US is quite active but they do not have the huge numbers that we see in miniatures and shetlands. So the shows are smaller and a bit harder to find. The welsh are also very competitive in the hunter ring.......

oregon welsh club

AWE great group of people with some very nice ponies

welsh pony and cob society of america lots of info and you should be able to find a local club for your area.

The welsh in general are faily mild mannered and yet "showy" at the same time.....section A have lots of character.....the ponies are shown au natural in the US almost no clipping full manes and leg feathers are part of the breed so are not typically clipped off....tiny typey ears are very common along with poppy eyes and a general look that is ....spunky.....they are excellent childrens mounts.....when crossed with warmbloods they produce some of the best sport ponies and people pay alot for them......they are a breed with plenty of bone and substance they are not supposed to be light and airy (however section B to me is much lighter than the other sections)........they make absolutely beautiful driving animals as their natural gait is quite fancy without any extra effort......unshod most have powerful floating trots often with a fair amount of "high step" ........had I not gotten into the mini's I was looking at welsh seriously......strangely most of my miniatures have a very welsh look
rolleyes.gif
I have a number of other sites bookmarked if you want to go virtual touring...sites from both the UK and the US.

rabbitsfizz said:
Whoa- Section B are 14 hands??????  Real section B stop at 13.2 hh.  "A" ponies stop at 11.2hh, and "B" are not governed by height- they can be tiny, just NOT big!!!  Cross an A with a B you get a B irrespective of size- "A" is a closed book.  "C"  are cob ponies and sec D are 14.00 ( I think nowadays 14.4hh) and up.Not sure about US/Canadian rules- those are the rules of the originating Society

477590[/snapback]

Well, I did say I didn't learn the divisions very well! Thank you, Rabbit!

And if someone is getting into breeding, it would probably be good to learn.

MA

Latest posts

Back