weight gain after foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horseplay

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been watching this forum for about a year now and tonight finally took the plunge and registered. I have been wanting to ask a question for a couple of weeks now but was to afraid. I have been afraid because some people seem to be a little harsh on others and I can be a wimp at times.
default_sad.png
So PLEASE be easy on me
default_smile.png

O.K. here I go, I hope it is not to long. I have a mare who had her colt about 6 weeks ago. I noticed the next day after she gave birth she still had a huge belly. I figured it would go down after a bit, but 6 weeks later it is still really big. Now I have noticed she seems thin, (back bone and hips). She and baby other wise seem very healthy. Someone thought he might be taking to much out of her but she is 30 inches and he was born at 18, so he wasn't real big. She is 11 and this is her 4th foal. I am giving her about 3 cups of mare and foal with 1/2 cup of rice bran 2 times a day. she also has lots of good hay. I have never had a problem with any of my other minis getting thin after foaling. Any suggestions? Thanks for listening.

Sounds like she needs a major increase in feed.

Yes, I guess I should have asked how much of an increase. I know everyone has their own belief on what is the best way to feed. I never have given any of my horses, large or small, much grain. I feed excellent quality hay and no one is to thin and i have never had overweight horse either. I guess that is why I am not sure how much is too much. Also the HUGE belly is strange to me. Thanks.

Have you tried a really good worming. A five day Panacur or 5 day safeguard would probably help some also. I would also get her some alfalfa cubes - they help with nursing mares.

Increase her feed no more than 10-15% every 3-4 days or until she is acclimated. You can generally tell by her stool.

Hope this helps.

Have you tried a really good worming. A five day Panacur or 5 day safeguard would probably help some also. I would also get her some alfalfa cubes - they help with nursing mares.

Increase her feed no more than 10-15% every 3-4 days or until she is acclimated. You can generally tell by her stool.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, that helps. Also it is funny you mentioned the alfafa cubes, I have a bag and soaked a few tonight to add to her grain. What amount would you suggest, I only gave her about 5, I am not sure if they come all different sizes or not. The bag I have, they are about 1 1/2 by 2 inches. Thanks again
default_smile.png

Soaked beet pulp really helps also, you could feed her about two cups of soaked beet pulp twice a day and Calf Manna is supposed to be good for a nursing mare also. You could give it according to the directions on the bag

First, welcome to the forum! :aktion033:

Your mare sounds very similar to my mare who foaled a couple months ago. We are gradually increasing her feed (alfalfa/oat pellets in the AM, hay in the PM) and keeping an eye on her weight. You may also want to have her teeth checked, just to make sure they do not need to be floated. Also, we generally wean the babies at 6 months, but we may wean this one a little early, depending on how mom's weight is doing at that time.

Good luck!

Liz R.

I would make sure she doesn't need her teeth floated, and I would also worm her, if she had not been wormed, I would worm her along with worming the baby, so you dont reinfest. And only then would I increase her feed, if both other things would be ruled out.

My larger mares get about six cups of mare and foal 2x a day. It will take about three weeks to start to notice a major change. I wouldn't increase that much all at once, just gradually, mine also get about 6-8 hours grazing time each day. Good luck.

You've gotten good advice on her feeding but as for her big belly...well she's had 4 babies and is probably stretched out. The muscles have relaxed. They should strengthen over the next couple of months, but not all do. I have one mare that looks pregnant year round

Thanks for all the info. !

She just had her teeth done so I'm going to assume they are fine. I think I will use a different wormer and as far as the belly being stretched, you are probably right. She looks like there might be another baby hiding out in there
default_smile.png
! Thanks again this has been a great help.

We try to give alfalfa hay to our nursing mares; that generally keeps the weight on them & gives lots of milk for the foal. If alfalfa isn't available then we give soaked alfalfa cubes.

If feeding the cubes we give 2 litres of cubes (measured before soaking) plus a flake of good hay 2x a day, plus each mare gets a 500ml scoop of oats 2x a day.

Latest posts

Back