We lost our only '08 foal today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so terribly sorry for your loss.

I send hugs to you and your little girl. Life lessons like this are so hard learned at such a tender age.

ellen

I am so sorry, unfortuantely too many of us know how much this hurts.

The mare will realize she is dead and leave her, then you take the foal. If she does not settle down within a couple hours, I would take the foal anyway. Be careful, if this is the case as she may be very protective of it by what you have said of her personality.

If you are set up to do so, open her stall and see if she will leave it.

Oh what a shame!! I am so sorry too! And at least your mare is ok.

These things just happen, and nobody has any way of knowing. Hugs to you all....

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss, I know what it feels like to loose one so anticipated.

Your mare should recover just fine. I do agree tho., it is hard to tell this filly is a dwarf. Often times they appear "odd" looking for a few hours after birth, then they fill out nicely.

Beth

Thanks for all your kind words.

You know I wonder is the foal definately a dwarf?

Her face markings on the white side make her look odd, they have an unusual pattern.

She looks very refined and delicate and her head looks proportional to her body but her jaw does not line up right and her head is domed.

She certainly doesn't look deformed other than that.

I am going to go to the dwarf forum and find out more.

I am so very sorry that you have experienced this heartbreak; MANY of us know and understand how you are feeling, because we have been there, too.

I would imagine you are correct in your perception that the foal was likely a dwarf. A pronounced underbite at birth is one definite indicator,and although all miniature newborns have pretty domed foreheads, this one's does look even more so. Especially with newborns, and not seeing how they appear 'up and moving', I believe that some dwarves are not immediately recognizable as such, especially when you have not closely studied the possible manifestations, and/or seen one before. My own vet, a kind and knowledgeble man, did not even recognize the dwarf born here as such; he was in attendance at her birth, and she was brachyocephalic-the kind usually more immediately recognizable...also, some manifestations seem to become more recognizable as they get a bit older. Any loss is a painful loss; but in some ways, it may well be that this was nature's way of offering a correction. Worst is that youngsters, who are too young to really understand, are hurt when this kind of thing happens. However, it IS a part of life, and you are clearly telling them what must be said....Sincere condolences, to you all.

Margo

I am so very sorry!!!
default_wub.png
{{{HUGS}}}
default_wub.png

I'm so sorry for your loss!
default_no.gif
I know this is hard for everyone, especially your daughter and the mare. When I had a mare that aborted at 9 months I left the fetus in with her for a couple of hours. Then I took her out for a walk and we removed the fetus. She did okay after that. Your daughter still could use this as a school project.......part of life is that things don't always have a positive ending.

Im so sorry for your loss. Most of us that breed minis have lost foals too. Its always hard.
default_no.gif

Yes, I examined the foal again and Yes she does have a dwarflike head, defiantely.

It has now been over 6 hours and the mare is still hovering over the foal nudging her.

She allows me near the foal but is clearly still wanting to 'care' for her......oh how terribly sad. Poor darling!

What I am most surprised by is my full sized Appy mare. She is acting like she is mourning the foal! She won't leave the barn door and when I move her away she goes nuts! I have opened the doors so she can see the foal but she is over 30 feet away, both mares seem comfortable with this.

I have only owned the Appy mare a short while but it looks like she has had a foal before, maybe old memories have come out.

You are a wonderful group here on the forum and taking the time to express your sympathy is really sweet!

I have learned another HUGE lesson in the depth of animals feelings for their young and eachother.......that is the silver lining here! Such wonderful creatures they are
default_yes.gif

Yes, I also agree my kids are learning a lesson here about life and death and mother nature.

Oh, I am so sorry!! Having seen your children in person certainly makes me imagine their heartbreak all the more.

Take care!

I am so very sorry for your loss, and for your children and little mare also
default_sad.png

However I agree with Joanne and the others who are not sure it is a dwarf.

I have had totally normal non dwarfs with domed heads to start out.

And I have also had foals born with underbites that corrected in days or weeks to perfect.

The rest of her...... neck, legs, etc. also looks normal to me.

But I would send the pics to John Eberth also if I were you. He has studied dwarfism more than anyone else and I'd get his opinion.

But again I am so sorry. I have had losses, and some were dwarfs.

But None were easy.
default_sad.png

Susan O.

I too, am so very sorry for your loss. We lost a baby goat yesterday..it did not get its head out of the sack..was still warm when I found her and I tried to revive but she was gone. I know its not a mini, but loss is loss and my granddaughter who is 3 helped me bury her ....I always feel you should never hide life or death...just help them deal with it in thier own way of understanding. Bless both your hearts and know we are all right beside you..

default_sad.png
Oh my dear let Carl and myself send you our sincere sympathy for the loss of your little filly. uess you'll always wonder "what if" as we tend to do, but God had other plans for her.

I hope all goes well with the mare and she comes well out of this.

Maxine

I'm so sorry for your loss
default_sad.png

Many times dwarf foals do not make it full term because internally there is something wrong. Sometimes they will go full term and only live a short life due to the internal problems. The foal was born dead- never breathed. You can tell from the way the foal is laying (most likely). Lovely color. Sometimes the parents show no dwarfism at all and it's a surprise like you had. Quite sad for all.

My daughter is now 10 and we went through losses also. She was always upset but I would explain truthfully and that is the best in my opinion. So sorry again
default_sad.png

Tammie

Latest posts

Back