We lost our only '08 foal today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
I went to the barn to feed the horses and instantly noticed my little mare was very dirty and slim. I looked in the corner and saw she had foaled. I was heartsick. She was due late feb/early march.

The foal was still in the sack but the sack was cold but the foal was warm, so I just missed it.

When I ripped open the sack I noticed instantly that the foal was a dwarf. Other than the domed head and the extreme offbite she looked normal. She was a lovely black, white filly and her eyes were blue.

I had read about this on the forum, but it is true you can't fully understand until you experience it firsthand.

My poor, heartbroken little mare. She is protecting and nuzzling her filly but she is quiet.

My full sized horse is all worked up and knows something is wrong and did not touch her grain.

My poor little daughter, 8 is devastated!!! She was so looking forward to the foal and was doing her 4H project about the pregnancy and birth. I tried to explain that it "perhaps wasn't meant to be" etc but she is too sad to understand.

Please advise me on anything you see in the pics and is it typical for dwarfs to come early??

I had sold all my minis but one. I bought this mare bred and we were very excited.

P1010013.jpg

P1010017.jpg

Sorry they are so small hard to tell much I guess from these The foal was at day 267

I feel responsible for the mares suffering. She didn't ask for this or deserve this. Poor thing
default_no.gif

It just seems dwarf foals are all too common. I know of 5 in my very small circle of mini friends.

This little mare is very pretty, I don't see any characteristics that would have made me think for a second that she would have a dwarf.

I think you never really know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry for your loss. We have had them here as well and somehow this part of foaling never gets any easier especially as they are so close to full term. (((((Hugs))) to you, your daughter, and your little mare. I check everyday as well when I go to feed as I am usually the first one in the barn. Scared for what I might find and relieved when I dont. Again I am sooooo sorry.

heartbreaking

so sorry for your loss
default_no.gif

and so sorry for your daughters heartbreak it must be so hard when kids are so involved

we had a mare abort 1 month before due last year (don't know the cause) but at least it was just us no kids

to be heartbroken.

Lori

so sorry, please tell your daughter we are all thinking of her too. I have a 9 year old and she would have been devestated.

I am so very sorry for your loss...My very 1st foal happened exacly like that (except it wasnt a dwarf)...when I just missed the birth and the foal was in the sack. I felt such guilt over that and every foal after that, I would always be so nervous around foaling time. You just never know and it isnt your fault that his happened!

((((Hugs to you, your daughter and your mare))))

I am so sorry for your loss. Most of us that breed have been there and know the pain

you are feeling. My grandaughter is 10 and would be devasted too. You are telling her

all the right things. It just takes time to heal .
default_no.gif
maryann

My heart goes out to all of you for your loss. We are new to breeding so haven't experienced this heartache yet.

The dwarfism poll done on the forum last November found that 42% of farms had a had a dwarf foal or aborted fetus, so they are pretty common. It was also scary to read about the ones that resulted from buying a bred mare.

My very deepest sympathy. I truly know how you feel when you loose a foal that was so anticipated.

I am so sorry! I know that pain of loss very well and I wish there was something I could say to give some comfort. That's so sad.

I'm glad your mare is ok. Give her a hug too.

{{{hugs}}}

I am so sorry for your loss.

It is heartbreaking and there are no words that I can say that will make you feel any better, but please know that I am thinking about you and your daughter.

We really appreciate your words of sympathy and your empathy.

I let me daughter read your replies and it means a lot to her.

Never really considered this side of it.

The kids have so many Q's, it is hard to explain it. My son who was 3 wanted to know why the foal was cold, and should we give it a blanket.

It is a learning lesson for everyone.

My poor little mare she is the one who is really suffering and I can't explain any of it to her
default_no.gif

She doesn't even have a little herd of mares to go back to
default_no.gif
I am really, really sad for her. I want to give her a big hug but she is a little standoffish and may not appreicate that.

One last Q, How long should I leave the foal with her?

Oh Fiona I'm so sorry to hear this. It's so heartbreaking. I haven't had a mare abort, but we have had a dwarf. Though he was out heart delight, he only lived to be 3 months old and it was devastating to have to tell him goodbye. My thoughts and prayer will be with you and your family.

I'm SO SOrry to hear you lost your foal.... How sad.
default_no.gif
My heart goes out to your and your family, and can only imagine who sad that would also be for the mare....

I have looked at your photos and honestly I cannot tell that the foal is a dwarf. The photos are small and you are there seeing it in person.

Minis can be born anytime after 280 days and survive. Unfortunatly they often do not give you any warning. Getting caught in the sack is the most common problem.

We leave the dead foal with the mare for several hours if possible so she knows it is not alive. It is usually easier to take the foal at that point. It gives her a chance to lick it and nudge it.

I too am sorry for your loss.

default_no.gif
my heart goes out to you, your daughter and your mare. We know your pain.We have had three mares abort in the last few months.We will be thinking and praying for you all.
default_pray.gif
We have a 10 yr and 13 yrs girls who hearts breaks everytime something like this happens.My girls know your daughters pain.

the foal was sure a pretty foal.

I am so sorry you lost this foal. Please go to the dwarf forum and send any of the information you can to the man doing the research on dwarfs. This can help to get a test for dwarfism carriers thus the possibility to avoid heartbreak over dwarfs in the future.

So sorry your loss
default_no.gif

Makes you wonder why these things happen, but I guess Mother nature knew best, even though that doesnt make it any easier on you all and your mare.. (((HUG))) her lots when she is ready...
default_wub.png

Oh no, I am SOOO sorry for your loss, however, if it was a dwarf, I guess maybe it was better it happened this way. It is NEVER easy though, to lose a foal, no matter why the reasons. (((HUGS)))

Oh No Fiona...

I am so sorry for you your mare and your kids. We would never knowingly put our horses through traumatic experiences. That foal of yours would have been cherished. You didn't do anything wrong. Your mare will be doing better in a little while. It is a horrible thing to have to go through. I am sorry.

Latest posts

Back