We could use some thoughts and prayers for my little guy please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wishing Jedi a comfortable night.
default_wub.png

Thanks so much for your continued thoughts
default_wub.png
Jedi is doing about the same. He's trying to use his leg more which is not good but says good things about his spirit
default_wub.png
He's such a tough little guy, I know that will help him out greatly.

Hi Shauna,

I was wondering how Jedi was doing. You guys are still in our thoughts and prayers.
default_wub.png

Epiphysitis

The growth plates located at each end of the long bones are also called epiphyseal plates. An inflammation of these growth plates is called epiphysitis and is characterized by swelling near the ends of the bones. Although the youngster may be lame during the active phase of epiphysitis, the lameness diminishes once the area ossifies. The area will often be permanently enlarged leaving the youngster with knobby knees or ankles. Epiphysitis usually affects weanlings and yearlings, however it may affect horses as old as 2-1/2 years of age.

Your veterinarian will probably suggest some changes to your youngster's diet and will probably prescribe stall rest for four to six weeks. She may also suggest changes in the way the youngster's feet are trimmed. The dietary changes often include a reduction in protein and reduction or elimination of grain and concentrates.

I am sure you have been checking all web sites for some ideas but I found the above and it may be something you didn't check out yet.

Hoping for a simple answer and something that is an "easy fix"

Jedi is doing well - we are continuing the treatment started last week and he's doing very well on it. His lameness is fairly slight right now, so the strict confinement and meds are doing their job. The problem of course is whether or not his growth plate will perform as needed, allowing his leg to grow properly. So, unfortunately this is one of those things where the short-term prognosis is ok, it's the long-term we are concerned about. I am willing to try anything and we are still hopeful that one fo the vets working on him will come up with a plan to "fix" that growth plate so it allows proper growth.

Genie, that was actually on the list of suspects before we did the films but this is from an injury to the growth plate. Subsequent to the injury there is inflammation in there but rather than being diet related it is an obvious injury. However we have implemented some diet changes to attempt to slow his growth a bit while his leg tries to heal, so some of the treatment has been the same.

Thank you Shauna for the update. Glad to hear he handling it well. I sure hope, hope, hope a solution exists for long-term health and happiness for your little guy. We're all pullin' for you Jedi!
default_wub.png

Genie, I also meant to add a big thank you to that, for your time and thoughtfullness
default_smile.png

I am completely overwhelmed by the support from all of you - I haven't had much time to answer every PM but I read them and take heart from them and absolutely will answer all of them before long
default_wub.png
I tell Jedi how many people he has pulling for him and I know both Jedi and the vets we are working with can feel all this devotion
default_wub.png

It's good to hear he isn't in too much pain for now. I have been thinking about you guys all week. Sure hope the vets have some good news soon. Hang in there.

Thanks for giving the updates on your little man.

It's this kind of synergy that makes us better "caretakers" of our animal friends.

We are praying for a happy outcome.

Hey Shauna,

Just checking in to see if you heard anything from the radiologist today. I sure hope Jedi (and you) are hanging in there. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. Hope to hear some good news
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back