we are moved, I'm back in need of advice!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda_H

Reaction score
Hi

Well we moved into a great house in NH but it is a shock to go from 102 acres to 2 acres! I had to sell all but 1 pony They all went to great homes- making their new owners very happy. I am so happy to be forever away from that insane stepmother My mom now lives with us which is an adjustment as her cognition is not what it used to be But she is full of love and we are a family now.

I got a response link system set up so she can call for help while I am at work

Here is where I need help-- I did keep my Arenosa stallion soon to be gelding I plan to move him in here in October We ordered a small 1 stall barn & fencing I was assured there will be no problems with town I do need a credible manure management system to present to the health board What do you all do esp if you do not live on acreage is composting the way to go?

My husband is still in remission & we take each day one at a time I love this place lots of flowers but it will only be complete when Uno moves in!

ohh! Congrats on the move! I wish you all the best.. hope it all works out.

Seeing as how it's only one horse, I'd get a couple of garbage cans with wheels on it to use.

Then offer it to the county free for their flower beds etc.

I have a rolloff container from my local Trash co that I use for mine. Has a lid so keeps the smell and flies down-We use it for manure AND our household garbabge and it all goes away every week!

[SIZE=12pt]We have a 1 yard dumpster. It costs about $32.00 a month and they dump it every other week. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Joy[/SIZE]

I have 2.5 acres and right now 14 horses here soon to be down to 10.. I use a trash company they brought me 6 trash cans the big green ones on wheels with lids they come weekly. I use one for household trash and the rest for manure. I only fill them up just a bit past half so they are easier to manage and wheel from barn to street.

The dumpster might be an easy solution if they will take it. A couple farms near us pick up horse manure to make compost with it. A friend of ours in Exeter, NH takes in material to use making compost. I know they have some dropped off and also pick up some as well. Maybe a landscaper in your area might be willing to work something out also.

Mark

I use the city trash containers that they provide. They are on wheels with a lid. I have 4 of them that I keep at the barn. One for paper/household trash and the others for stall cleanings. They can be quite heavy when full, so I use my riding lawn tractor to move them to the street once a week for pick up.

Works great!

a big black garbage can with a good locking lid works GREAT for composting! just poke some small holes in it, line that with fine mesh along the bottom and sides before using it (screen works great!) and then be sure to give it a roll across the yard every week. Then every month or so you can dump that right into wherever you want good garden soil. Or you can be lazy like me....I just scrape weekly and put the manure right onto my garden areas.....they say it will burn your plants, but my garden in awsome! I am carefull with seedlings and new plantings though. Recover with mulch--and viola!

Back