Watching mares....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cams are not expensive and they are very easy to set up. You can stream them online for free now with Ustream or pay and go through Marewatchers.

You can buy a security cam or a baby monitor.

default_smile.png
Question; I missed the part about a "baby monitor" I have looked at security cams in the past because of the goats.....I am on the fence of whether or not to spend the money on the cam or not..... :/ I would love to be able to check on her while I am at work...Anywho, I am curious to know more about this 'baby monitor'?

I am finding cams that have up to 500 feet transmission range for the wireless cams.

Ok so make this very simple for me as I get confused on this sort of stuff. lol

What all do I need to hook up a cam, to make it viewable from my cell phone?

Obviously I need the cam, computer and cell phone..haha What else? (Wireless cam, that is. ;) )

Some cameras come with a router included....is this something I need or not since I have a wireless router for the computer?

Also, what about that 'dazzle' that was mentioned earlier? What is that and is that a must?

And another question if I get this set up to view on line/from my phone. Can the computer be on, but in sleep mode and it still work?

Thanks
default_smile.png

Wireless cams come with a router which serves to send the signal from the cam to your computer.

A dazzle is needed if you want your cam to stream to both your tv and your computer, I didn't bother and just watched the cam from my pc or phone, it is handy to have it streaming through the tv as the screen is much bigger but no neccesary.

As long as your computer is switched on it will work, you can just reduce the window. Is it a problem to leave your computer on?

Renee

I just don't like leaving stuff on when I am work. Do all wireless cams come w/ the router or are some a 'buy separately' kind of deal.....I am going to check out the local home depot store. Sure would be nice not to have to have it shipped! lol

So once I get the cam set up...how do I get it to show up on the computer/phone?

I want to make sure I can do this before I spend the money on a cam. lol My brother is good with stuff like this so he could figure it out I am sure but he lives about 40 mins or so away and works all the time so I would hate to ask him to come over and fix it. lol

Thanks
default_smile.png

Mine came with the router together. Most are really easy to set up. I will pm one of the girls that streams through Ustream asking for expanations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never mind. Bought the cam, it was a waste of money. It's being returned tomorrow. Spent $150 on it to. Oh well. I tried. At least I have the test strips (when they arrive) And hopefully she will foal in the night or on my day off. Bummer that I can't watch her from work but I'll just come home on my lunch break.

Thanks for the help. Too bad the cam didn't work. I am so glad I didn't order one after all.

What was wrong with the cam? was it too far from your connection?

I don't know what was wrong with it. I bought one with a 330 feet transmission range. I tried moving the receiver around and there were 4 different channels and we tried all 4 of them. When there was actually a signal, the picture was so snowy and grainy that there was no way I would even be able to tell if the horse was standing or laying down....at times I wouldn't have even been able to tell if she was in the barn. I don't know if it was just the camera or if it was too much interference. I am very glad I didn't go ahead and order one; I was going to but when those two stores had cams I decided to go that route. Took it back and got the money back so that's good. At least I am not out any money!

Latest posts

Back