Watching mares....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spindleberry

Reaction score
Who all has their mares on cameras? I've always wanted to get one for the goats so I could watch them from the house (we kid them out early winter so it's cold lol) It would be nice to be able to check on Sugar from the house instead of walking down to the barn...lol however I am just wondering about the cameras...are they hard to set up? Are they expensive?

Thanks ;)

Cams are not expensive and they are very easy to set up. You can stream them online for free now with Ustream or pay and go through Marewatchers.

You can buy a security cam or a baby monitor.

default_smile.png

How do you stream them online? If I do that, will I be able to see it through my cell phone? (I have a Samsung galaxy s2) ;)

Thanks!

do you have a good internet connection near the barn? Is so you just hook the cam up to your pc and then stream it online. Some cams come with the package to get them up on iphones and smart phones, if not download the app Puffin.

I have high speed internet at the house and have the wireless router for my laptop/cell phone but I lose access to it when I walk to the barn. (Checked my phone one time.)

We run a cable from the barn to the house to hook the camera (we have 3 that go through one multiplexer) to the computer in the house through a "Dazzle". Wireless cams won't work here because of our wireless router and lots of wireless connections in the house. We sign up with Mare Stare(MS) because we like having other people watch but we started doing that WAY before this chat/watch board was set up. But Mare Stare will also record the birth for you and put it on You Tube so you and others can watch it any time. MS provides software and allows people to watch on IPads, etc plus regular computers. Here is our computer link: http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=ontarget Our IPad link is on the cam links thread on here.

We run the cable through sections of PVC pipe and under our deck etc. to protect it from foot traffic.

Oh wow. Yea I am not going to be able to do that. I thought it was more simple than that. Lol thanks for the replies. ;)

how many meters is it form the computer to where the cam would be?

I dont know but I am not going to run a cable across the property to the house. Ill just have to walk to the barn. I thought if it was simple I could have her on camera while I was at work.and be able to see her from my phone. But ill just come home on my lunch break to check her when she gets closer.

Thanks

It depends how far it is, my cam is wireless and my computer can pic it up with no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
o.k sorry I had to go convert into meters, my cam pulls for 100 feet so if I had your problem I could move my computer further away from my router so it meets the distance or if not get a signal booster. Try talking to Heather at Marestare, she really is amazing or if not post a thread on MS and ask the ladies there as I am sure someone can help you.

Ok So if I get a wireless camera....(if I can find one that'll reach that many feet) How does it hook up to the PC and if I did that, will it still work, online, if my computer is shut off?

You will need a dazzle to connect it to your pc which will have to stay on when you want to stream online.

Bummer. I can't leave the laptop on while I am at work.

Thanks for the info though.
default_smile.png
I think I'll hold off on buying the camera since I can't watch her from my phone. Need to save the money anyways because of show season coming up for the dairy goats. Thankfully I don't live that far from work so coming home on my lunch break to check on her really isn't that big of a deal.
default_smile.png
Plus every other week I won't need to because my mom is off the days I work.

I do have a question though, since I have never dealt with a mare in labor.....are they like other animals, that make it obvious they are in labor over a baby monitor? See, that's what I use for the goats. I hook up baby monitors in the barn, in the stalls they are in and I can hear the goats when they get down to business and start really pushing....Of course I do own Nubian goats and they are known for their loud mouths. haha! But anyways, do they make enough noise that I would be able to tell something is going on?

Thanks again, really appreciate all the help. :D

my two girls didn't make a sound when they foaled... some are noisier I believe but it just depends on the mare...

my wireless cam works great as long as I have it in direct line to the laptop it works great
default_smile.png
sorry that you won't be able to do it, I don't know how I would have been able to have two mares foaling without my camers and marestare and these wonderful ladies!

good luck for you babies
default_smile.png

My mares are quiet too so I wouldn't rely on sound. Perhaps you could get a Foal Buzzer to put on her headcollar.

I dont have a halter for her. Every single one ive bought is either too big or too small. I tried all the halters at the two farm stores. Lol i think they thought i was crazy bringing the halters back...lol

Latest posts

Back