Warts!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
Hey All

I was grooming my yearling filly yesterday when I noticed five or six white bumps on her muzzle. They looked almost like ticks but were firmly attached. These warts appeared almost overnight. I've read that they're fairly common in young horses and to just leave them alone and they usually go away. Anyone have any experience with warts? Any remedies?

For some reason, this year we've seen several of our yearlings getting warts, more than usual. Not sure why.

We have always just left them alone and they go away on their own and don't come back.

Some folks here on the Forum have had their show horses get them or the wart(s) are unusually large. They've actually applied human wart remover with some success.

MA

They are called juvanile warts. With time, they will go away on their own. Some people SWEAR by picking them until they bleed (ouch!), that way, the virus that causes them gets into the blood stream and the body fights it off. Some people say do the same thing by squeezing them with pliers. Both those ideas scare me, I MUCH rather just wait for them to go away on their own.

i've heard worse. i think some people on here on a post a while back said they pluck them off, and make the horsey eat it.
default_yes.gif
: YUCK! but i guess it works.....
default_rolleyes.gif
: whatever, i personal would leave them alone but many go by the "pick and eat" standard :lol:

MY mini mare had warts as a 2 yr old and I had the same reaction..specially since it was show season but they went right away in a few months time.

My yearlings usually get them here. Once it cools off they go a way.

funny thing about cutting them off is I have noticed when they would scrape them on something and it caused them to bleed the warts would multiply.

I wonder why it didn't do that to the ones who have them pinched off?

I've had a couple younger ones that picked them up. I just took my fingernails and plucked off some of the end on 1 or 2. It didn't seem to bother them (I didn't rip the whole thing off their face) and they were all gone within 2-3 weeks. I guess it somewhat depends on what you're doing with them as well. Mine, of course, got them during show season. I couldn't bring myself to put it in their food. ICK!

If you do a search for warts on the forum, you'll find lots of answers.

Latest posts

Back