Warts.....eeew

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildoak

Reaction score
One of my 2 yr olds has had some gunk around her eye, have to admit I hadn't paid a lot of attention to it as it's been so muddy & wet I thought she had just splattered mud on her face. Got to cleaning on it tonight and realized what I was trying to clean off was actually warts all around one eye!! I don't worry much about them on the muzzle, but this is kind of gross. Seems like I've had it happen once before but I don't remember what I did for them. Anybody? I'll call the vet tomorrow but looking for suggestions. Thanks
default_smile.png

Jan

I've never seen that...Hmmmm. I'm sure they will go quickly. I've only had one filly with warts on her muzzle; they went away within a month or two.

Warts - joy.... Since it's in such an awful place, I would get the homeopathic remedy Thuja. Give her two pills three times a day for three days. That should dry it up.

Warts usually go for a magnesium deficient host so maybe add some dolomite to your mineral licks or magnesium to the bail rations.

If they pop up elsewhere you can either use the Thuja or get a wart paint to strangle the lil suckers!

Warts are usually lower on the face but are quite often found around their eyes. The old saying is that they will go away in about 3 months if you treat them and around 90 days if you don't!
default_biggrin.png
Once a horse has had them they develop an immunity and won't get them again. They aren't really a big deal anyway unless there are so many or they are so big they are intering with breathing or eyesight or eating. I once had a horse arrive here with the inside of his ears LOADED with them! Bridling him was difficult because he didn't like his ears being handled - I got them scraped out but otherwise I just leave them alone.

Fantasia, thanks for the homempathic tip - I will try that. Milo, I've always heard that too
default_biggrin.png
and typically the only thing I do (per a vet) is just scrape one enough to make it bleed a little. It's just so awful around her eye, and I did intend to show the mare this year so would be nice if I could hasten their disappearance lol.

Jan

Warts are generally any easy fix. Pinch one off. It will stop the spread. Then I have had good luck with the warts off cream sold at tack stores.

A friend of mine did have a mare with a wart in the corner of her eye. She had the vet come and remove it with a scapel. But maybe pinching one off will do the trick, always works when we get a two year old with them.

Good Luck!

I have never heard of the homeopathic treatment, will have to remember that. Being around the eye that may work better even if it would take a little longer to get rid of. We usually just pinch them off here and they go away, but not sure I would try that around eye.

Good luck.

Are there any around the muzzle? If there are I would pich on off. If not , how many are growing in and around the eye? Maybe a good idea to head straight to the vet.

Our vet recommended plain old crest toothpaste.. Just rub on the wart a couple of times a day, they just fall off...very inexpensive and painless...
default_smile.png

I had a horse years ago that had them on his muzzle. They completely covered the end of his nose and they were growing on top of each other. I tried a couple different things and even the vet. He had suggested castor oil. So I would dap the oil on top of them and nothing. They were just getting worse, so I thought maybe get the oil to the root of them. So I got an eyedropper and started getting it to the base of them and they started coming off after about a week and when it was all done there were not signs he ever had them. Just do it every day. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back