Paddock Paradise Track System, Pictures!

Discussion in 'Miniature Horse Forum' started by secuono, Dec 8, 2018.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

1. Dec 8, 2018 #1

secuono

secuono

secuono

Hello, all!

I was against this at first, but sometime in spring 2016, I think, I jumped into the deep end head on! And haven't regretted it one bit!

Please add in your pictures, if you have tried this.

Here are some pictures of the original track on our farm property. We since bought the land next door and the horses, and their track, were moved out there. This freed up space for my beloved Babydoll Southdown sheep!

At first, it was just step-in posts with some tposts for corners and 2 hot wires, top wire cold for added height.

Then I added 1/2" white hot tape, because my baby gelding was moving in and he needed to see the fence better.

Sticking to the program and not giving into their big puppy-dog eyes, they lost weight and looked great.

There was one area that was flat, straight and narrow, which I used for trotting practice.

And with the minis racing around us, it was great practice to listen to me and not spook or bolt off with the minis when they rushed us.

The horses did an excellent job of cleaning up overgrown fence rows. So good, in fact, that I had to build a new fence to keep my dogs contained! The weeds were blocking the old, failing fencing...

Then they all got moved! Flat area by the barn became their new home base. The track went up with the idea to use them to clear fencing again and to beat down a large junk weed area. With the track including this open area, I am easily able to drive down to mow the junk regularly, it will soon be good grass and the track will shrink to make room for it to be hay area.

The new land has a pond, it drains through my old land. Hate it. It makes two areas the horses must cross to get home or go out. It has rocks, mud and various depths. Horses hate it when its muddy, but they cross, the minis attempt to simply fly over it...haha!

New area is two lines of hot tape and various types of hot fence posts. The track will eventually go completely around the 20 acres. Plenty of hills, one large ditch they will need to learn to jump over, a couple of steep hills, a wooded hill section that they've made paths through and some flat areas to bolt in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KLJcowgirl and Cayuse like this.
  2. Dec 8, 2018 #2

secuono

secuono

secuono

Screenshot_2016-04-19-21-08-54.png Screenshot_2016-04-19-21-22-15a.png

Yellow, roughly the current track location. Extended at the bottom now.
    landmaptrack.jpg

Old track, Arial view.
    pastures.jpg

KLJcowgirl and Ryan Johnson like this.
  3. Dec 11, 2018 #3

MindySchroder

MindySchroder

MindySchroder

I have had a Track System for two years now and have loved it! I took a lot of flack for it and still do once in awhile but it has been the best thing for my ponies. I have a lot of rocks where my track is and they just navigate around them. I have two feed stations and one place for water, but my track is pretty small. I made it on my old dry lot because it was just a bit too big for them to keep ahead of the grass that grows there and none of my ponies can have grass. So my track is all dirt and I feed hay 24/7.

I have a few posts about it on my blog but will share a few photos here. If I can figure out how!

The first photo is of my track from above. My uncle brought his drone over and took this for me!
    mytinytrackoverveiw.jpg

One of the feed stations. I use the hay nets in this station. I tie them to the bottom of T-Posts. We rent so I can't use wood posts because all of this is temporary. I have rubber mats under the hay nets so they aren't eating off the dirt all the time.
    mikeycollage(2) copy.jpg

These photos are a little older and there are some changes to the track but it gives you an idea!
    skyinforagestation.jpg

skyontrack.jpg
    streetsweeper.jpg

theshed.jpg

Here's a more recent video.

I love visiting about track systems and how they have helped my horses. I think they are a wonderful way for horses to live as a herd.

KLJcowgirl, secuono and Ryan Johnson like this.
  4. Dec 19, 2018 #4

susanne

susanne

susanne

dB

I've considered putting in a track to serve a somewhat different purpose: to take better advantage of our limited space and to give our horses more dry (make that drier...) ground during the rainy season. We have just under four acres, but three acres are in forestry deferral, leaving just one acre to currently divided up amongst corrals, driveway, garden, and house. Our forested area is on a hillside and is rather densely planted, but it has a logging road that could be fenced for part of a track, then I would make a switchback coming back down the hill through the trees, giving them a longer track in a fairly limited area.

5. Dec 19, 2018 #5

Zarah

Zarah

Zarah

These tracks are really interesting. I’d not heard of them before. Great that you posted them so I can learn of such things. I hope more post their versions.

6. Dec 20, 2018 #6

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Admin

@MindySchroder I like seeing how you do this via rented land. I would not have thought of the rubber mat at the feeding stations to keep the hay in good condition.

@secuono I love the photos of your tracks, too. The ones where the horse head is seen and headed up the track are my favorites.

7. Dec 20, 2018 #7

secuono

secuono

secuono

8. Dec 20, 2018 #8

Zarah

Zarah

Zarah

That reminds me more of Texas than of Virginia. I love the open rolling hills for your minis.

9. Feb 20, 2019 #9

KLJcowgirl

KLJcowgirl

KLJcowgirl

Secuono, I do believe you replied to me once on another forum when I asked about doing a track for my horses and I just love yours!

Mindy, I've watched yours come along and only dream of doing what you have done!

I have my horses on my in-laws property, so I am somewhat limited on exactly what I can do, but still have some say. They're on less than an acre, so it's been a little hard to come up with something that works. But I have a track and have loved it. Its helped shed lbs off my QH and both horses seem so much more happy. They also have more dry footing in the spring which has been wonderful.

Here's what I have...

Yellow is outer fence
    Red is inner fence
    Forgot to show gates into the pasture. Have one up by the logs, and one down by where I want gravel.

I have a few things labeled, and I would love to put more terrain in that track... but we'll see what happens.

I have been thinking of making the track a bit wider as well.

I have BIG plans for my own big property one day. Love seeing g what everyone has. :) Screenshot_20190220-145310_Gallery.jpg

10. Feb 20, 2019 #10

Zarah

Zarah

Zarah

@KLJcowgirl, I am liking how you are making maximum use of what you have to work with. How many horses do you have?

11. Feb 21, 2019 #11

KLJcowgirl

KLJcowgirl

KLJcowgirl

@Zarah Thank you! I just have two (for now hehe).