Walking the Fence

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeBopMini

Reaction score
This is driving me crazy .... just got a stallion in that walks the fence line constantly. I think he has been doing this for some time and it has become a habit but I've never had a horse do this and don't know how to stop it. Can anyone help? I don't want any of my others to pick up this habit. As a result of this constant movement he is way too skinny.

I have one of those too. Poor guy just wears himself ragged
default_no.gif

I learned from his first owner "this is what he does".

He's fine if he's got his mares but when alone he paces. I have found that if I let him have a mare with him he settles down in a few days and then enjoys her company.

I have a rescue gelding (gelded in his 20's) that did it non-stop when Spirit was here. There was a 16' alley between their pastures, but he just couldn't stand having that "competition" across the way. Once Spirit left for Julie's, he calmed down.

He now shares a fenceline with younger in tact males and a gelding but he pays them no attention because they are young, he has all the girls and they aren't a threat to him.

I have had him several years now and he's in the best physical and emotional shape now than I've seen him. If I brought another mature stallion home, which there are no plans to do, it would probably kill him at his age.

Can you give your boy a mare or even try a young gelding or colt as a pasture mate? Just be careful with the introduction until you know if he's the type that will live peacefully with another male. If he's never done it before, he may not accept a young male as a non-threat.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Typical breeding season stallion activity.

They do loose weight this time of year worrying about their mares. Some are worse than others.

I too have had a few differtent stallions that did this. It's the hormones talking!
default_wink.png
He may settle down somewhat over the wonter months when the mares are not showing heat so much. I had to grain heavily to keep the proper weigh on my stallions, and even then, he would grab a mouthful and go back to the fenceline. Then grab another mouthful, and back to the fenceline! He was OK as long as the mares were up front but if they got because the trees, he would start to fret and pace the fenceline once again. And like Parmela said, they will even fret this way if there is another breeding stallion that they can see, even if they are not with the mares or even next to them. Stallions can be a real pain, but when they do this, there is noting you can do other than increasing their feed to accomodate theire constant activity level and watch their hoof condition as well, as they normally keep them worn right down on their own. I am not sure if it would help to keep them in a stall all the time to try and quiet them, but it would not be healthy for them (in my opinion) to be stalled at all times) Good Luck, but I guess pretty much all you can do is grin and bear it.
default_yes.gif

I am glad to hear that my appy stallion is not the only one that does this...My first stallion is so mellow...the girls can be in a pasture adjoining his and he behaves...but not Warrior...he runs the fence...I was thrilled the other day when I thought I would try putting him out with 3 yearling colts...and he did wonderful...no running the fence...he enjoyed being out with the yearlings...

My new stallion Pat will do this non stop day and night unless he has a girl in with him, he won't even stop to eat.

As soon as I put him out with the girls he is as happy as can be.

My Gelding who was gelded at 2 years old does this. if he is not out with other horses. He will pace all day long up and back. When he goes out again with the others he is fine. I know stallions do this but why geldings? He also does the head swinging that i have seen other stallions do. He does it mainly at dinner time. And sometimes when he drives. It Is very bad and i dont know how to stop it.

Welcome to the life of a breeding stallion. Some pace all of the time, some once in a while. It is why it is so hard to keep a stallion in good weight during the breeding season. Once breeding season is over and he is not within site of the mares, he should settle down. Give him a gelding for companionship.

My stallions are in a different part of the property, where they can not see the mares at all. If not being used for breeding, they are kept together for the companionship or with younger boys to teach the boys some manners. Some will still do some pacing, but not all of the time and they seem so much more relaxed.

This is quite mormal with most stallions. It often depends where the other animals are around the premises. I would be very relutant to introduce him to a new companion now at this time of year, unless he has been turned out to breed with his mares, in which case choose one or two that you know are in foal to him and try turning them out with him. Or try a couple of yearling colts/young geldings in the next paddock to share his fence line and give him some companionship - but remove them immediately if this makes him worse. Some like to have horses near them/in view, others dont like to see or hear anyone! It is a case of trial and error and finding what helps.

He will calm down, as has been said, once the breeding season is over, but you must up his feed considerably while he is doing this - it's like the difference in feeding a racehorse as against a semi retired horse who is doing the occasional hack out!!

Thank you all for your replys and advise. In the 20 yrs. of breeding peruvian paso horses and minis for the past 10 yrs. I guess I was lucky to have stallions that had never run the fence line. We bred him today with one mare so I think I will keep her in with him and see if that helps. I just feel so bad for him always going, never resting. His last owner said that he is fine if he can see his ladies but never said a word about running the fence line even when looking at his ladies, nor being so painfully skinny. We have up-ed his grain ration and have him on a weight builder as well.

My other stallion and 2 yr. old are next to each other & next to mares and show no signs of breeding distress like my new little man.

Happy Breeding Season Everyone
default_smile.png

Back