Wahl proseries cordless clipper reviews please?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamondinmypocket

Reaction score
So I am a goodwill junkie.... Today a found a complete set of wahl pro series cordless clippers for $5.99. Work when charged, can switch blades, which I love. Of course I brought them home!

I would like reviews and tips on body clipping minis with these clippers!

Hope I got a good deal!

Thanks!

If it works and clips, then for $5.99 the ProSeries cordless was a pretty good deal; if I found the right style on line, the set I came across was $40 new.

While great for clean-up, like face, bridle paths and small areas; unfortunately, they aren't likely to be heavy enough for a full body clip, at least not to remove thick winter woolies. [if I found the right style on-line, then its the same as I have, mine are refurbished; they work great for bridle paths and such, and I used mine to clean up a wound area. But, they don't hold a charge long enough to do a full body clip, and mine have trouble getting through the thick winter hair past a small area.]

What is the best clipper set to buy? By the time I get my guy shedded out, its time for him to get ready for the next winter.

Many here on the forum will say Double K, but that's way out of my budget.

When I got my first mini I had a set of smaller Oster clippers, no idea which series, but they were only suitable for the clean-up clipping I did for my saddle horses (so whiskers and bridle paths). I bought a set of Wahl KM-2 clippers and they are just fine for clipping just one or two minis; I bought extra blades, including wide blades to get through the hair easier. After I bought more minis, the hair was too much for the little clippers, so I added a set of Oster Clipmasters (I had already been using my husband's set he uses for clipping to read brands on the cows, I didn't want to share, so I bought a used set off eBay). The Clipmasters are large and vibrate quite abit, but I can manage just fine for that first spring woolie removal. Then, I clean them up with the Wahl's.

I mostly use the Wahl's on this guy, as he's rather small, so the Clipmasters are just too big to get his smaller areas. [i can only clip his back and sides with the Clipmasters, then I have to switch to the Wahl's.] This stallion is 31" tall.

Pic right after first spring clipping in 2012

Che` - May 19, 2012 - haircut.jpg

I have 4 sets of andis agc 2 speed. I have a set of double k's and love them, but if I only had a couple of horses to clip I would not need them. I love my andis clippers. They are light weight for my problem hands and can clip the winter fuzzies off without much problem, Just need to have a couple of sets of blades and blade wash (I actually use kerosene, but be sure to dry them off and put clipper oil on them after they cool) to put sets in while alternating to keep them cool. I do have to replace the blade drive on them every year (part is about $4 from pro cut) but then we usually clip somewhere between 20 and 30 horses every spring and then for shows, we clip 4 or 5 all summer long.

I was lucky to catch a great sale on laube speed feed clippers (dog) years ago - $150 normal price and I got them for $30.

Love them! Cordless, 2 batteries, they barely heat up and you can adjust the length from 9-40 without attachments. Well, my blade gave out on me and so I asked for the wahl cordless for Xmas... Would have just shopped around for a new blade. I trim my cocker all the time and with the wahl ones it looks like a toddler did it. I switch length around the face with the laube but with the wahl it's either SKIN only or the smallest attachment and it just doesn't work the way I'm used to.
default_sad.png

Plus they only have one set of rechargeable batteries. So I think I need to bite the bullet and shop for a blade for my laube and use the wahl as a backup or for longer hair.

I think Oster has a superior line of clippers. No 1 clipper will work for every situation. I have cordless, small plug ins and large plug ins.

My Father does like his cable clippers, but they take a bit to get used to.

Dr. Taylor

I am a Double K fan. I am still using a clipper I bought in 1988-still works great,just not variable speed.(Plan to sell it at a march horsey yard sale near me.I also have another clipper that is a newer model, but as long as I have Minis I will have Double K.Several of my horses are older(as in 24, 23, 21) and have Cushings coats (do not shed normally)so we need heavy duty. Double Ks are often available for sale on line.

Latest posts

Back