2 pairs of clippers DEAD and still not halfway done clipping. HELP

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Timber Buck

Reaction score
Okay, we started clipping our little guy today with a set of Wahl horse/dog clippers. They started out great...they did the nack great, but really bogged down in the belly fur. They got to where they were pulling and not cutting. We tried cleaning them, oiling them, letting them cool off etc. We moved to my husbands nice Conair clippers that we shave his hair with and they did about half the back and sides and died. We tried all the same remedies and he even sharpened the blade...NOTHING. Now our poor horse looks like he has been attacked by the clipper monster!!!!!!! What brands and sizes work best? I am not wanting to spend over $200 but am headed to Tractor Supply in the evening tomorrow to get them.

I just checked out TSC on-line, and they don't have a very big selection of clippers listed, but perhaps your local store will have more selection. For just one mini, the Oster A-5s may work for you; I don't own a pair, so don't know personally how good they are, just know some are satisfied with their performance, and some aren't. YOu might go to the TSC website and check out the reviews on the clippers they have available, it might help you make a decision.

Edit wasn't working, so...

I don't think they are available at TSC, but I have a set of Wahl KM2 clippers I ordered on line and I'm very happy with them. They worked great for body clipping my boy, when he was my only mini; now that I have 12 I have a heavier duty clipper.

Oster A-5's may work but for a first clip it may burn them up too. If it's warm enough you might try giving him a good bath, using a shedding brush to get out as much undercoat as possible, and clipping him while he is still wet. The Oster's may work. The Double K's are more expensive, but worth every penny IMO.

Andis 2 speed will work for you on dirty, long hair. That is what I use. I have 4 #10 blades, dropping each in blade wash to cool when it gets warm. The cost of blades is significant! I clip 2 horses with this setup. Be sure to store your Andis clippers blade end down, so no oil runs down into the motor.

I read earlier on another clipper topic that rubbing alcohol works as well as blade wash to keep your blades sharp.

I have the KM2 clippers and they are holding up really well with all the clipping we do here.

As I clip, I stop often and clean the blade with a toothbrush and then dip the blades, while running, in a dish of alcohol.

Love my andis super AGR+ cordless clippers with a number 10 ceramic blade. Cuts through dirty coat like butter.

I have been through several clippers and by far my Andis AGC 2 speed clippers!!!!!!!! Easy to change the blades and clips great.

Sorry you are having with your clippers. It happend to us as well a few years ago when we tried to clip without bathing a horse. Now we use 401 BMC Double K clippers and they are worth every penny. Now we give good bath to our horses before we clip them. It saves on blades as well. We can clip up to 8 horses switching 3 #15 blades for cooling. Good luck!

Not bathing a horse will sure do that. You have to get them clean before you clip them. I love my Wahl Storm II clippers and you can find them usually for $160.

If you are trying to go through dry, thick, possibly matted winter hair and a yearlings first cut - those clippers aren't going to get you where you need to go. If you can - bathing is best before clipping. Then use some show sheen right after bathing to make the hair slick - it will help a lot!

Oster A5 two speeds - are around $85-$95 here. They work great. I would not keep using just one blade either - I would have at least six ready to go, and change often.

I was just to a workshop with Mike Rosauer who is a trainer. One of the tips he shared was using a blower rather then bathing before clipping. He said bathing will leave a residue at the base of the hair and gum up your clippers. They blow the dirt out then use the clippers at a low setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like it is just the clipper blade, not the clippers them self. I have had a few blades that would just die on me for no reason. I would sharpen them and they wouldn't work. Especially for a first clip, blades don't last long. Really groom your horse before you start clipping and keep blowing the hair off the clippers so they don't get clogged.

I have had my Wahl Km2 clippers for 4 years and have never had a problem with them. I love them and wouldnt use any other clipper. As for blades, I use the Andis ultra edge. I have noticed that they stay sharp for a long time while clipping and can handle a lot of sharpening when they get dull.

Edit: I try to keep atleast 5 blades on me when I do a full clip for the spring, one blade defiantly won't do the whole horse! Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go to jeffersequine online, you can order and have a set in your hands in just a few days. They have the Andis agc two speed for about $150 with no shipping--last I looked about a week ago. Well worth waiting for. They will work great as that is what we used for many years before we got our double k and still use a lot because we often are clipping two at a time. Cheaper to wait rather than spend money on a cheaper set.

Good luck.

I have clipped many horses large and small with Oster A-5's both single and double speed. I would suggest a couple of extra pairs of blades and I have had the best results if I oil the rails of the blades with clipper oil in addition to using Kool Lube on them. Blades can be resharpened for quite a while so they along with the clippers are a good investment. Be sure to keep your blades stored in blade wash (I use a tupperware pickle container then I can raise them out of the blade wash to select one) and clean your clippers before putting them away so hair doesn't build up on the air vents or under the blades. Good Luck I am looking at clipping 4 here in the next couple of weeks!

default_firstprize.gif
UPDATE!!!! YAY!! Thanks to everyone's great advice I went with the Ardis AGC super 2 speed. They are like a hot knife going through butter!! I had no idea how much better these things were, but WOW!!!! I give them an A+! It was almost dark when we got done, but here's a preliminary pic for ya

BEFORE

2012-03-09_15-37-12_452.jpg

AFTER!!!!! :0)

2012-04-09_19-24-06_517.jpg

I'm glad I ran upon this post..I was looking at buying the Andis clippers, but I am confused..They have different models of the Andis AGC 2 speed clippers..I was looking at model : 22360..Are these the ones I need? And if not, what model number should I be looking for.?

Latest posts

Back