Voter ID Laws -- Your Thoughts? (POLL & DISCUSSION)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do You Think US Voters Should Be Required To Present Valid ID In Order To Vote?

• YES

Votes: 46 95.8%
  • NO

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • UNDECIDED

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear and see what others on LB have to say on this issue.

It's hard for me to fathom a reason why US Voters should not be required to produce valid ID in order to vote, but I know this is a very controversial and timely topic. Can't even get a library card without valid ID...

The claim I have heard frequently that it's racist to require ID just floors me. I don't get how that makes sense, but if someone thinks it does -- I'm listening
default_yes.gif

What is your opinion regarding Voter ID Laws?

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted yes, could you please explain to me why it would be racist? Would it be because of picture ID? We are a country of many colors and religions, that makes us American, I'm sorry I thought we were past this or maybe I'm niave.

Terry, I have no idea why it would be racist, but that's the arguement I've heard. I've heard that it is racist, but not any explaination. Perplexing! I do NOT think it's racist to require ID to vote. I'm not aware of any specific race having cornered the market on aquiring valid ID... I'm hoping someone can explain that point of view that I keep reading and hearing exists (minus any explainations of how it's so). I'm also interested to hear any reasons about why someone would feel ID shouldn't be required to vote.

I voted a very loud yes.

I think this issue shines a lot of light on how things work, and how the "logic" behind something is so much more important than the final answer. If you think about it, it is minorities that have the most trouble producing a picture ID, due to a larger percentage of them being illegal citizen.. So the idea is, any law that affects one group more than another must be "against" that group, and therefore "racist". I think that logic obviously doesn't apply here, but it is used none the less to rile people up and get them to vote with their emotions not their heads.

On the other hand though, I don’t like or agree with is the timing of this topic's growth and the focus it is receiving all of a sudden. No matter how legitimate the law, I don't like that it is in essence being used by the conservatives to remove what is seen as a large part of the current administrations support. I have trouble trusting lawmakers whose motivation to get important laws in place comes from their fear of losing an election.

Absolutely YES !!! If you're an American citizen of voting age then you'll have no trouble getting a valid picture ID allowing you to vote. If you're not an American citizen you have no right to vote PERIOD end of story.

James, it's me, Terry, you know me and I love you to death buddy, but I'm an old feeble woman, please explain to me your second paragraph, sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Love Me! Oh and Trent always tells me to say Hi, when I respond to you, he loves you too!

No matter how legitimate the law, I don't like that it is in essence being used by the conservatives to remove what is seen as a large part of the current administrations support.
Surely the important issue is that a large group of people who are currently voting ILLEGALLY are removed from the system whether it's being done now (for political reasons) or later for other reasons. It's about time our sovereignty as a nation is upheld. I do understand what your saying James but if the current admin is only in power because of illegal immigrants tipping the voting scale in their favor then they shouldn't be in power in the first place.

Ha ha, I knew that is you Terry, say Hi to litte trent, well probably not so little now.
default_smile.png

Obama and Liberals are considered more lenient on illegal immigrants and therefore would have their vote, so by stopping them from voting, which I agree they shouldn’t be, would be taking away a large amount of his support at the polls. The increased attention on this topic recently makes me think that is the real motivation behind getting these laws in place. While I support the law, I think it shows a fault in what motivates the party or person who is suddenly considers it so important.

There have been quite a few attempts at backdoor amnesty by the current administration and that may play an understandable role in renewed public interest -- I think that's a good thing and hard to criticize.

I registered to vote some 30 plus years ago, so my mind is a little foggy, but we registered at the DMV when we renewed our drivers license, so in my opinion if you could get a drivers license you can register and use that as an ID, NOT! I think you should have to prove citizenship, with either a birth certificate or citizenship, as my daughter in law was born in South Africa but is now a citizen. I don't think just any ID would be beneficial.

As kind of a follow up (I may edit the original post), what are your thoughts on people being able to register to vote online, and/or vote online?

That isn't something I favor. I like that it requires a little bit of effort to get out and vote, and of course, would be very concerned about even more rampant voter fraud if registration (and / or actual voting) could be done online.

I don't disagree at all Jill that the "back door amnesty" has equally as questionable motives also. If the Rep. knows who is voting for Obama then he surely does and I wouldn't hesitate to guess that he would use the same tactic. LOL Again, it is very possibly BOTH parties are using their power to influence the vote, a despicable motive. For me, I think they are both right, in what laws they are passing, but for me, it is truly "the thought that counts", and on that side, neither is impressive. I guess we will see, if Obama stays in office, if his only motive was to increase his voters, he should drop the "back door" amnesty attempts when he is out of terms.

Jill, I agree, we went to vote yesterday here in MD. and the polling place was empty, which was unusal, as it is usally a gathering place for us in the farming community. I was actually surprised, no lines. Usually we see all our neighbors there that we havn't seen in a while and have good converstaions, so we try to feed before we go so we can spend some time with our friends. Not so yesterday, I was sort of disappointed at the turnout. As for online, I do think in the future most everything will be done online including voting, I hope I don't see it in my lifetime, but computers are taking over everything.

I think you should not only have a valid ID to vote, you should also be a citizen of the USA.

We couldn't go vote in any of their countries, why should they be allowed to vote in ours?

The voteing online does scare me! It just seems way to easy to tamper and question. I am all for making voting for an elected official as easy as possible, but not at the cost of accuracy or integrity of the system.

Our area allows for voting by mail, but I support that even if you sign up for that, you should show an official picture I.D.

My driver's license has to be renewed later this year and I've been informed I need to supply a copy of my birth certificate and/or passport. And that's for a RENEWAL. So why do people question the I.D. for voting? It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out why certain folks are against it. Sure, the "timing" is interesting, but is needs to done no matter when.

Interesting poll results and comments. Despite headlines and over turning of voter ID laws, I've yet to talk to any individuals who do not support voter ID regulations.

Latest posts

Back