Fed Real ID and NH non complince

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shari

Reaction score
In 1775, New Hampshire was the first colony to declare its independence from oppressive laws and taxes levied by the British crown.

Now it may become the first state to declare its independence from an oppressive digital ID law concocted in Washington, D.C.

New Hampshire's House of Representatives has overwhelmingly approved a remarkable bill, HB 1582, that would prohibit the state from participating in the national ID card system that will be created in 2008. A state Senate vote is expected as early as next week.

The federal law in question is the Real ID Act (here's our FAQ on the topic) that was glued on to a military spending and tsunami relief bill last year. Because few politicians are courageous enough to be seen as opposing tsunami aid, the measure sailed through the U.S. Senate by a 100-0 vote and navigated its way through the House 368 votes to 58.

Unless states issue new, electronically readable ID cards that adhere to federal standards, the law says, Americans will need a passport to do everyday things like travel on an airplane, open a bank account, sign up for Social Security or enter a federal building.

Video: New Hampshire says no to IDs

Rep. Neal Kurk talks about the state's likely declaration of independence from Washington.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is currently devising regulations for these federalized ID cards. One possibility is that the "electronically readable" requirement will be satisfied by embedding a radio frequency identification (RFID) chip. (They'll already be appearing in U.S. passports starting in October.)

That prospect alarmed New Hampshire state Rep. Neal Kurk so much that he gave an impassioned floor speech during the March 8 debate saying the Granite State must not participate in the Real ID system.

"There are times, Mr. Speaker, when we must look beyond the mundane and the pragmatic and take a stand based on our values," Kurk said. "I believe this is one of those times...I don't believe the people of New Hampshire elected us to help the federal government create a national ID card."

Kurk invoked the memory of Patrick Henry's revolutionary speech, "Give me liberty or give me death," and New Hampshire's motto, "Live Free or Die."

"The war on our civil liberties is actually begun," Kurk said. "There's a price to be paid for independence. But I ask you, what price-- liberty?"

Kurk's impassioned plea prevailed. Even though a legislative committee had opposed the measure, the House overruled the committee's recommendations by a margin of 217 to 84.

A Real ID rebellion?

While New Hampshire may be the first, it's not alone. Other state politicians are seething over how the federales

See the Rest here...if this comes to pass in other states...may just move back to NH.

http://news.com.com/2010-1028_3-6061578.html

What's all the fuss with the Real ID Act about?

President Bush is expected to sign an $82 billion military spending bill soon that will, in part, create electronically readable, federally approved ID cards for Americans. The House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved the package--which includes the Real ID Act--on Thursday.

What does that mean for me?

Starting three years from now, if you live or work in the United States, you'll need a federally approved ID card to travel on an airplane, open a bank account, collect Social Security payments, or take advantage of nearly any government service. Practically speaking, your driver's license likely will have to be reissued to meet federal standards.

News.context

What's new:

The House of Representatives has approved an $82 billion military spending bill with an attachment that would mandate electronically readable ID cards for Americans. President Bush is expected to sign the bill.

Bottom line:

The Real ID Act would establish what amounts to a national identity card. State drivers' licenses and other such documents would have to meet federal ID standards established by the Department of Homeland Security.

More stories on this topic

The Real ID Act hands the Department of Homeland Security the power to set these standards and determine whether state drivers' licenses and other ID cards pass muster. Only ID cards approved by Homeland Security can be accepted "for any official purpose" by the feds.

How will I get one of these new ID cards?

You'll still get one through your state motor vehicle agency, and it will likely take the place of your drivers' license. But the identification process will be more rigorous.

For instance, you'll need to bring a "photo identity document," document your birth date and address, and show that your Social Security number is what you had claimed it to be. U.S. citizens will have to prove that status, and foreigners will have to show a valid visa.

State DMVs will have to verify that these identity documents are legitimate, digitize them and store them permanently. In addition, Social Security numbers must be verified with the Social Security Administration.

What's going to be stored on this ID card?

At a minimum: name, birth date, sex, ID number, a digital photograph, address, and a "common machine-readable technology

http://news.com.com/FAQ+How+Real+ID+will+a....html?tag=st.rn

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like this at all!!! I mean I haven't like a lot that's gone on in the US lately with technology and such, but this is out rageous! I want us to be safe, BUT I don't want Big Brother watching me!

Geez.

Maybe I should go get my passport renewed before October, so at least I'd have a few years to see how this plays out and it all lasts.

Ugh..

Yes it IS coming. And Photo Passport Already started for going and coming out of this country, by plane train, airline, boat. and in about a Year this Photo Passport thing will be for also crossing by Auto~!!

And ya some States can say they will not comply But just SEE How long that lasts when the Federal Government tells those States, "Either You go under this new Real Id Act or No More Federal Funding"

And then see how Fast those States make a turn around.~!

been done before by the Feds and can be used again in this case.

And besides What the big deal? There is a photo Now on my drivers license, my Sam's Club card and others??

Pesonally I'm all for it. With the rampant spread of ID theft and illegal immigrants stealing the IDs of legit citiziens, it should help with that. I don't see what the big deal is.

I agree, I don't see what the big deal is. A) Big Brother is ALREADY watching us. B) We already have to provide photo ID to do most of those things, this just adds an electronic component which will make it harder to fake, and C) requiring stricter proof of ID to get the card and then the card to get important things will help crack down on identity theft.

I don't like the government knowing everything either but this particular one doesn't bother me. The military already uses this technology and it is very easy for the person to use. In the future you could link your bank accounts, credit cards, etc. and not carry as many cards. It doesn't sound like more tracking to me, just a faster and less fakeable method. The only thing I can see is that a thief would have your SS number if they got your card. I'd like to see them use fingerprints or retinal scans to lock the information.

Heck, we could prevent loss entirely if we just put the chip in our arms or something! LOL

Leia

If you think your info will be more safe,,,please think again. It is very easy to steal such info. Gov...could not even keep military hubby's retirement checks safe,,what makes you think they can do any better with the National ID program?. Yes..we were part of the oppps...sorry we lost all your personal information and DDS info.

ID theft will be alive and well.

Just do not understand why people think they can keep person information safe? Or that fake ones can not be made. Hubby works for one of the companies supply the tech for this...and it is not fool proof.

Am glad NH is holding out...having once being a member of that state....if anyone can do it..they can and I will be cheering all the way.

Why don't they put to the people,,put it to the vote....we have the right to say what goes in our country. I will tell you why they don't, because if the general masses know about it...it will not happen.

So if they push this through with out our vote,,,then what next?

My parents never thought the day would come when the Gov does what it is doing now. It will not make us more safe.

Leia,, they are already putting chips in peoples arms. There are 100's on the East coast with them. You can get one if you want. But the same problems still apply,, it is very easy to read, give a virus to, steal info from those chips.

As for needing one more piece of ID.. already have a Drivers licence, Military card with all the in-coded bars on the back, and my SS card. Why in the world would I need more ?.Good grief..
default_wacko.png
:

Fed Real ID will just create one-stop shopping for identity thieves.

Keith and I used to joke about becoming "left wing survivalists," but it's no longer much of a joke...it's becoming all too true. (no guns or vicious dogs, though...)

We are living our lives just the opposite of most people...we have purchased successively smaller houses (more land), jumped off the mortgage wagon by buying our current home outright (not the answer for everyone, but it works for us), moved from an "up-and coming" neighborhood in the city to the sticks on the edge of a small town), rarely use credit, own fewer vehicles (one) and socialize far less than we used to.

We're becoming the wackos your mothers all warned you about...

Yeah, I just feel that is going to make it EASIER for info to be stolen and thats why I don't like it! And I don't want to be carrying around a chip that can always be detected, I don't want to be watched like that, that creeps me out! With all that stuff linked together, that'd be a theive's heaven, so much easier access.

Keith and I used to joke about becoming "left wing survivalists," but it's no longer much of a joke...it's becoming all too true. (no guns or vicious dogs, though...)

We are living our lives just the opposite of most people...we have purchased successively smaller houses (more land), jumped off the mortgage wagon by buying our current home outright (not the answer for everyone, but it works for us), moved from an "up-and coming" neighborhood in the city to the sticks on the edge of a small town), rarely use credit, own fewer vehicles (one) and socialize far less than we used to.

I know quite a few people doing the same thing,,,most all middle age or older. We sadly have a mortgage..but hope to pay it off in 1/2 the time.

Am finding people that do not mind it...do not care in as so long as it doesn't stop them from doing what they want to right now. It might not stop you right now...but the way the Gov is winging out these aggressive policies which will in no way keep us safe or stop theives....it will not be long before they take something else away....

And the price..at Least $90.00 per person and how many people in the US? That is a whole lot of free money for the Gov. Mind boggling in fact.

And the price..at Least $90.00 per person and how many people in the US? That is a whole lot of free money for the Gov. Mind boggling in fact.
Wait a minute . that 90 dollars you are talking about that is for Passport Photo ID NOT the Real ID There is 2 different IDs here we are talking about. This is the price for Passport Photo ID New Passport

in 24 hours - $129.95 in 3 to 5 days - $89.95 This Passport Photo ID Already is in effect started the 23rd of Jan... A week ago~! ~!

And the price for Real ID is this::

If anything, it’s surprisingly cheap: Only $37 each for an estimated 295 million people who would get a new ID under this program.
The Real ID is combined with Your Drivers License This is Separate from any Passport Photo ID one~!

get one through your state motor vehicle agency, and it will likely take the place of your drivers' license.

Guess hubby and I are sorta one of those wackos also because we have bought what we were able to pay out right for. It is the only way for us because we have seen how people so easily get themselves in debt and can't dig their way out. This Federal ID thing is a big deal to loose more of our freedom. Will be one

easy way for identity thefts to get what they are after. Already, here in Montana we cannot get our drivers license renewed without showing our birth certificates and I learned the hard way! I happened to let my drivers license expire [old age thing] and now I can't get a drivers license because I don't have a birth certificate. One of those babies born at home and somone failed to register my birth. I am having one heck of a time now proving who I am and can't get enough paperwork together with the names all correct and the same to file for a late certificate. I have been around a long time, having a SS card and paid taxes forever but still they won't give me my identity! We were born into a free country but our freedom is definitely being diminished. :no: Mary

Wait a minute . that 90 dollars you are talking about that is for Passport Photo ID NOT the Real ID There is 2 different IDs here we are talking about. This is the price for Passport Photo ID New Passport

in 24 hours - $129.95 in 3 to 5 days - $89.95 This Passport Photo ID Already is in effect started the 23rd of Jan... A week ago~! ~!

And the price for Real ID is this::

If anything, it’s surprisingly cheap: Only $37 each for an estimated 295 million people who would get a new ID under this program.
The Real ID is combined with Your Drivers License This is Separate from any Passport Photo ID one~!

get one through your state motor vehicle agency, and it will likely take the place of your drivers' license.
Like I said..I am also coming from the source. The "Real ID" will cost each of us at Least $90.00.

Not talking about a Passport to go to Canada or leave the country. Was only talking about one,,and that one is above.

It was interesting to me that I saw this post on here yesterday and then last night on our late news it was one of the big stories. Glad OK is fighting it too.

[SIZE=14pt]National driver's license runs into state resistance[/SIZE]By LESLIE MILLER

The Associated Press

[SIZE=8pt]WASHINGTON — A revolt against a national driver's license, begun in Maine last month, is quickly spreading to other states.[/SIZE]

The Maine Legislature on Jan. 26 overwhelmingly passed a resolution objecting to the Real ID Act of 2005.

The federal law sets a national standard for driver's licenses and requires states to link their record-keeping systems to national databases.

Within a week of Maine's action, lawmakers in Georgia, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Vermont and Washington state also balked at Real ID. They are expected soon to pass laws or adopt resolutions declining to participate in the federal identification network.

"It's the whole privacy thing," said Matt Sundeen, a transportation analyst for the National Conference of State Legislatures. "A lot of legislators are concerned about privacy issues and the cost. It's an estimated $11 billion implementation cost."

The law's backers say it's needed to stop terrorists and illegal immigrants from getting fake identification cards.

States must comply by May 2008. If they do not, driver's licenses that fall short of Real ID's standards cannot be used to board an airplane or enter a federal building or open some bank accounts.

About a dozen states have active legislation against Real ID, including Arizona, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Utah and Wyoming.

Missouri state Rep. James Guest, a Republican, formed a coalition of lawmakers from 34 states to file bills that oppose or protest Real ID.

"This is almost a frontal assault on the freedoms of America when they require us to carry a national ID to monitor where we are," Guest said Saturday. "That's going too far."

Guest filed a resolution last week opposing Real ID and said he expects it quickly to pass the Legislature. "This does nothing to stop terrorism," he said. "Don't burden the American people with this requirement to carry this ID."

Though most states oppose the law, some such as Indiana and Maryland are looking to comply, Sundeen said.

The issue may be moot for states if Congress takes action.

Republican Sen. John Sununu of New Hampshire, along with Democratic Sen. Daniel Akaka of Hawaii, filed a bill last year to repeal the law. Sununu expects similar legislation will be introduced soon.

"The federal government should not be in charge of defining and issuing drivers' licenses," Sununu said.

Privacy advocates say a national driver's license will promote identity theft.

Barry Steinhardt, an American Civil Liberties Union lawyer, said the Real ID ordered by Congress would require a digital photo and probably a fingerprint on each driver's license or state-issued ID card.

That, he said, would make it more valuable to identity thieves because the ID card would be accepted as much more than a driving credential.

"It's going to be a honey pot out there that's going to be irresistible to identity thieves," Steinhardt said.

An identity thief, he said, could buy a Real ID from a rogue motor vehicle department employee with his own photo and fingerprint on it.

"The victim is never going to be able to undo this," Steinhardt said

Finally, a clear article with facts. Yipes! I'm a hermit in that I refuse to watch the news so I hadn't heard any of the details, only what Shari wrote which didn't sound too bad.

Leia

Latest posts

Back