vet called

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvwalkers

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]i don't even know where to start...Petunia has had a set back...as of last night she had stopped eating and drinking, her fever is high again. she also said much more damage was done to her vulva then thought, as it is slothing off, there are large pieces dying and leaving voids, she is calling Cornell in the morning to see if they can give her any ideas on how to keep her from healing shut. at this point if she does heal there will be a large opening that will allow germs to get in and she will need plastic surgery to tighten up and close her leaving a small area for urine to escape. i don't know what to think at this point, i really didn't think she would make it at all and when she said she was improving i couldn't believe it, talk about excited, now this, it was like a punch to the gut! tomorrow she is calling with the total thus far and we will decide from there what we do :no: . i have had enough, i feel like i can't handle one more thing...[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Oh Nikki, I don't know what to say........I'm so sorry, I thought she was showing so much improvement that she would recover fully. I hope they figure out something that can help her, but on the same note I know where you are coming from on having enough. I am sure the vet bills are piling up too. Darn it.....[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I hate to ask, but did they determine why she had so much damage? I know you said the other vet had to pull the foal, was it positioned wrong, or did the other vet cause all this? I only ask because the swelling was soooo bad, and the after effects are continuing her problems, I just have never seen anything like it. Hang in there, and I am still praying for her.[/SIZE]

default_sad.png
I AM SORRY PETUNIA IS NOT WELL, I STILL HAVE MY FINGER CROSSED AND HOPE SHE WILL BE BACK ON A HEALING PATH SOON.

[SIZE=14pt]the foal was in the right position but Petunia had given up and wasn't pushing so she used chains and hooks to pull her out. the baby should have been cut up, as awful as that would have been, but that didn't happen so now this is what i have. when i say i have had enough, i mean of everything...almost a year of bad things and i feel like i just can't take it anymore, i hate to sound like a wimp but i just don't have the strength anymore...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Nikki, try to hang in there Sweetie. I agree that you have been handed WAY more than any one person should have to handle this past year.
default_wacko.png
: But you are stronger than you feel like you are right now and it's going to be alright!
default_yes.gif
: You know I'm just a phone call away.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I really hope Petunia recovers from this setback! She's been through a lot too, bless her heart![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Please let us know as soon as you hear from the vet tomorrow.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Shannon[/SIZE]

Nikki,

I am so sadden to read this. You have done everything you can for her.. I completley understand what you mean by you have had enough. You have been threw so much, I am so sorry and wish there was something I could do to help..I will still be thinking of you and praying for you and Petunia..
default_pray.gif
:

Nikki, You take your time and make the decision you think is right. If Petunia has fought hard, you need to think about life might be like for her if she does make it through. You have given it your all. I will pray for you and Petunia. Your a smart person and though you have gone through a lot of heart ache you can do what you need to here. Prayers still coming!

Nikki i am so sorry to hear this... i know how you feel, we didn't even have the issues with being able to stand and so we were able to have Bonny at home but we treated her twice a day minimum for two months... it's a lot for sure and if she has to stay at the vet's... well, i am keeping the prayers coming, for Petunia, and for you and your family. i wish there was more i could do... big {{{{{hugs}}}}} coming your way!!!

Oh...........Nikki I'm so sorry things have been so awful.
default_sad.png
I hear tiredness in your emails and my heart just feels so sad for you. I wish all this sadness hadn't come your way. Hugs to you, your family and Petunia. I will have you all in my thoughts and praying that things will get better.

chico

Nikki I know this is horrible. Am very sorry you and your donkey have to go through this. Have your Vet talk with Cornell... file a complaint againt the other Vet..more than likely they will not do anything but it will be on file for anyone that wants to check that Vet out. That way,,hopefully they will be warned off.

But don't you dare give up!! Only reason I am handling my accident is because you are there for me.Yes,,very greedy of me.

Don't you give up... I am here if you need someone to talk with.

Nikki I am so sorry this has happened.

Hang on, you would be amazed at what can be done.

Nikki,

I am so sorry to hear this. Keep good thoughts - there are a lot of prayers for Petunia!

Hugs to you and just remember we are all pulling for you and your precious Petunia!

I read this last night and didn't even know how to respond, I still don't. I'm just so sorry for everything you have to go through and sorry for Tunia too. We know you're doing the best you can do and pray that everything turns out ok for Tunia and things turn around for you, nothing but happiness, sunshine and flowers in your future. You are in my thoughts, I wish I lived closer and could help.

I'm so very sorry, I had hoped this would get better. Look deep into her eyes and let yourself feel her.

[SIZE=12pt]Awww Nik...... That really stinks! :no: I'm still praying for you guys. Give me a call ANYTIME!!!! You have the support of some good, true, carring people on here so don't give up!! Some times the emotional stress can be unbarable but that's why you have friends so we all can take some of this load for you. We may not be there in person but know we are thinking of you guys and are just phone calls away!
default_wub.png
:
[/SIZE]

Leya

I am so sorry I know you have really been on a rollar coaster ride lately. Either way you have done everything humanly possible.

I know you feel like you have nothing left to give and are depleted but you are strong and it will be ok.

Oh Nikki,

my heart just sank right along with yours. I can honestly say that I know what you are going through.

Sounds like you are at the end of your rope, just know that we are all here lifting you up through this unbelievably difficult time.

Nikki, I KNOW that no one has fought harder than you have for Petunia. You are an awesome donkey momma.

You and Tuni will be in my thoughts and prayer constantly.

(((((HUGS))))))

Nikki, I am so sorry to hear this.I know how hard this has been on you and Tunia, your both strong, and dont give up just yet. We're all here for you and I am sure everyone of us would feel the same as you do, with everything you have been thru. We're all just a phone call away! Cornell can do wonders with horses, I am sure they will be able to tell you vet what can be done. I know you told me about the first vet on the phone but~~ Did your first vet have ANY knowledge on miniatures, or was she a "cow" vet? I have had a jenny give up pushing too, and I managed to pull the foal out, no damage to the jenny, and the foal was fine, no hooks or chains, and I have also been with my vet when she had to deliver a dead foal that was pushed all the way up to the mares shoulders..she thought she would have to cut, but managed to get in far enought and get the foal out in one piece without any chains or hooks, and no damamge there either. I am going to call you tonight, but it will probably be later..is that Ok...whats the latest? ( not sure what time I am getting back home) Take care Nik, and we're all praying for Tunia and you.Please let us know when you hear from your vet. Corinne

Awww, Nikkii and Petunia. I am just sick for you both. I will say alot of prayers for you both. Big hugs.
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

I too read this last night and was speechless....completely numb
default_sad.png

Just know Nik whatever you and Jody decide...I am here for you.

I do believe that Tunia will have dips like this and this is so normal.

They may just need to change antibiotics...which is normal too.

default_wub.png
: Tunia is a strong girl ... has she bitten anyone yet?

Latest posts

Back