Very strange thing happened

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandminis

Reaction score
Today I went out to bring Bo and Chocolate up to the barn - alls well, they come running down the field to me -- I was getting the halter onto Bo and he did this wierd jerk/step backup (thought he was just trying to avoid the halter, which he normally doesn't do) and then his right hind just went under and he fell down. I had to help him get back up and then he could not put any weight in that leg. His flanks were quivering a bit and he got a bit sweaty. That was 3 hrs ago - right now he is just standing - he is not moving around much, a bit of shifting about. He was obviously sweaty, has the appearance of "dew: on him but is warm and dry underneath. He appears to be putting the foot firmly on the ground now but I don't think he is putting much weight on it. No head hanging. I did phone the vet but he just said "could be several things, bring him in for tests" What I wanted to know isif it is possible for a mini to get such a severe leg spasm/cramp that it would compromise the leg so much? anyone ever come across something like this? Thanks

I've been out with him and was looking at his leg and realised that his hip seems strange - not quite out of wack but definately odd. When I put my hand up under the hip area (right up next to his tummy) the hip joint seems to be pointed out a bit. Maybe that is just from him leaning towards the other side and keeping his foot up. The joint seems fine but when I went to pick his foot up he tried to hop away and fell again
default_no.gif
I got him up again and he is not wanting to walk anywhere. Actually I think he can't even hop around on the good leg. He is still interested in food (only gave a tiny bit of hay to see if there was any problems there) and I noticed his pooping is fine.

Sweating could be due to pain so I would insist that the vet comes out to see him immediately. Could he have his hip out ? My son was born with fragile joints and put them out regularly when he was small, he would scream with pain, as soon as the Dr clicked them back, he would magically start playing again practically instantly.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would certainly insist that the vet comes to you, there is no way your little fella should be travelling in a trailer when he's likely to fall and injure himself further.

Poor lad - hope you can get this sorted for him asap.

((((HUGS))))

It sounds like his hip is out of joint. Don't make him walk. I'd give him Banamine for pain and get the vet to him asap. Tell the vet that his hip might be out of joint & to please look at it. If he's not wanting to walk, put hay and water in his reach.

Good luck

Is it his hip joint (high up, along his topline, at point of hip) or is it actually his stifle (top of leg, just below his flank) that is pointing out?

If his hip were dislocated you would probably observe from the rear that the hips are at different levels, while the hock on the affected side would be lower than the one on the good leg. The horse would stand with toe out & hock in...fractured pelvis--signs depend on where the fracture occured--inability to bear weight and inability to move the leg forward are two signs--

As you said, his stance (stifle out it sounds to me is what you have described) may simply be a result of his effort to take weight off the leg, but it could also indicate that the problem is in the stifle--is the area swollen/hot?

But to answer your original question--no, I would say that horses do not get leg cramps--your horse's problem is something more serious than a cramp.

REO sent me this thread..I only read your post.DO NOT force him to walk!!!! I can not stress this enough....Do a search here on Dreamer. She is my horse. Get a vet to come to you, do not trailer this horse to a vet. Get a vet that has a portable xray machine to xray his hips. Don't let any vet pull, twist or anything on his leg..It sounds like he has a dis-located hip. That is what happened to Dreamer. She was standing, she screamed and went down for no apparent reason. Give him some Bantamine for the pain. A dis-located hip can not be put back in place like a humans can. In dreamers case she had to have surgery. And it was a long healing process. Today she is fine. She was 15 yo when it happened, that was 3 yrs ago. She has a limp, the cold is hard on her, but she runs and plays with her herd....Please keep us posted....Good Luck..This is treatable. Theresa

I read th eother posts. Bring food and water to him. He will not go to it. And if he does,it is very painful for him to try. I had a few vets tell me he had a high fracture, but my and the forums members had a gut feeling it was not. Dreamer was also in heavy foal. 36 hrs into her ordeal, she lost her foal. Keep him comfy, he may try to lay down. If he does let him. Dreamer as she laid down, her leg would not buckle uner her, it was stiff and was straight as a board when she laid down. He will need help to get back up. Don't let him thrash around. I slept with her for 4 days in the barn, to help her till (we) could arrange for her to get surgery. Just breathe and get an xray first thing. Im on my way to work. I will check back later.....If you want to email [email protected] Theresa

Sure sounds like it could be a dislocated femur - we also went through that with a mare a few years ago, did the surgery and bought her several years. If it is, and if you opt for surgery, talk to people on here first to know what you are in for. Sometimes you have a good outcome and they can lead a pretty normal life, some do not come through it well.

Jan

I had a long talk with the vet, also sent pictures-- getting a vet out here you are pretty much paying for the entire day so taking him in is the only viable option, The problem area is resolving into the stifle. The hip area when viewed from the back is even and he is using the affected leg for balance, although he still doesn't want to put weight on it. There is a bit of swelling so the vet will send some anti-inflamitory over. I will take him in somehow, he would fit in the back of the van. I just worry that he will fall over so I will have to figure out how to get him to lie down. He does want to eat so he gets all his hay right in front of him. I bring him water and wait til he drinks because he keeps tipping it over with a flick of his nose if I leave it beside him unattended.
default_wacko.png

I would not make him lay down...that may be way more painful to him than standing. But I agree, he needs to be seen by a vet ASAP, for sure!!

So I went after work to feed/check on him and the vet had suggested I try an ice pack on him --- Did not like it and tried to move away, I managed to help him stay up but saw that his left hoof had turn back underneath his leg when he moved. Got it straightened out but it sure felt like the whole leg was stiff. Now could that be from him standing more on that leg for so long OR maybe the left leg has the locked stifle and the right one was hurt when he fell?? He is now putting weight on both legs - imagine someone standing in the first position of ballet. That's what it looks like.

That really does sound like a slipped stiffle that locked into the wrong position, thus the reason he'd be dragging it behind him. Is this just a young horse, or a new(ish) horse to you??

If it were that his stifle is locked, I'm not sure that you would be able to place his foot in proper position on the ground--not without the stifle unlocking. When the stifle locks it and the hock are both locked in an extended position & cannot flex--and so the leg is out behind with the foot bent back, resting on the front of the pastern/fetlock. With the leg locked in this position it is physically impossible to position the hoof flat on the ground. This sounds to be something more than simple locked stifle.

Back