Very strange thing happened

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sending prayers and hoping you can get a vet to see him.

The problem with a vet coming out, still might have to go in to the facility, the way things are sounding.

Hope their is some good updates coming soon.
default_wub.png

OK - so you can push me over with a feather today!! He is able to walk quite well on his three legs. Don't know if maybe the anti inflammatory made him feel better or he just got bored. He still does not want to move much I think he still thinks he is going to fall?? he doesn't. We used a belly support and a team of three to get him onto more level ground. I thought standing on a slope however slight was not good. Little begger took off when I turned my back!
default_aktion033.gif
We still have to get his leg to unlock but it is classic - toe drags and he holds it out (forward not sideways) with toe on ground. He will still be seeing the vet since he probably knows more about freeing it up. We have done massage and tried backing him when we saw how ambulatory he was. It did seem to be unlocking but didn't stay that way. I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel now.

Vets coming YAY! Updates Saturday after he's been and we have time to let the boy settle. GEEZ what a week!!

default_yes.gif

Alright! Good for you for finding someone to get this boy some help! I hope all goes well and would be interested in hearing what the vet thinks it is and how to help your guy!

Sending good thoughts for your little guy. How is he doing?

OK - Bo Update - the vet said yes, a classic locked stifle. We had actually gotten him unlocked before the vet came but he still needed to looked at. The vet did some really thorough mainipulation and showed us how to do it, what to look for AND what to do to prevent. IE - don't be afraid to make him MOVE -- I think all mini owners that have to deal with locked stifle should adopt " I like to move it, move it" as thier theme song
default_yes.gif
Get that quad muscle into shape! So I have been spending 10 to 20 minutes going uphill and down and around - around, every opportunity I get in the day. Trying for at least 4 times a day and progressing to longer stints. Going to set up some things for him to stepover also. I thought these guys would be good for me, just didn't think I'd be getting as much excersize as well
default_laugh.png
The vet also said that Bo has developed a bit of "compensatory laminitis" in the left leg from standing on it so much. He also reccommends massage and moving the joint to help reduce inflamation. I massage after every moving stint and boy does Bo like that - he practically melts!

Chocolate is being a real good boy - follows us around and"herds" Bo. I haven't neglected him - took him out for a drive and gave him lots of scratches and a good brushing.

I am so happy to hear that you were able to get it unlocked and get advise from the vet to strengthen it.

I am surprised to here him say it was classic stifle lock, because I have never heard of a horse being locked up for any long period of time. I have seen them lock once in a while but within a few minutes or backing them up it will unlock. they may lock again a couple of times a day if real bad. They can usually get themselves unlocked fairly quickly if they want to get somewhere. I have never seen it stop a horse from really wanting to move.

I am so glad it wasn't something more serious and I have learned from this. thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would still encourage you to consider some chiropractic by a Licensed Equine Chiropractor. Pelvis/spine misalignments can also contribute to stifle lock.

All the best to you and your horse
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back