Very Sick Filly only 7 days old....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My vet said that the germs probably entered orally as the baby looked for the teats. He told me that often the germs are from the mare's legs or body
There was an article about this very thing just recently, maybe in The Horse. This is apparently a bigger source of problems with foals than they realized. I've always sponged off the mares legs, teats, etc but it's a far cry from disinfecting them. I will do a better job of it this year.

Jan

I'm so glad that you took Mom and baby in where they will have constant care and the knowledge of what to do. Please keep us posted and I will be praying that the baby will be fine the next time we hear from you.

Must be stressful for Mom too to see her baby not acting right. Sure sounds like it is all on the right track now.

Joyce

[SIZE=12pt]Hoping for a good update today!!![/SIZE]

Barbie

Not to make light of poor Sassy, but 101 isn't really a fever for a foal. That is often a normal temp - a good reason to temp your horses and know what 'normal' is. Our foals normally are in 100-101.5 range. Adults are usually a bit lower 99-101.

The diahrrea on the other hand would give me a great deal of concern. Biosponge as others have mentioned works great as well as keeping her hydrated, but erradicating the underlying infection is the problem.

We've lost a few foals over the years to varying causes - why it can be so hard for your vet to pinpoint exactly what's wrong as septic foals, salmonella, rhotovirus all can cause that same (we call it) death diahrrea - that is an immediate trip to the vet and usually time in ICU. We had a foal one year that an ultrasound revealed serious congenital kidney issues too. The symptoms you have described is much different that foal heat diahrrea - color/smell, etc.

Best wishes, thoughts and prayers for Sassy.

Sassy is definetly living up to her name, she is still fighting!!!

She does seem improved today. Her temp has been steadily coming down since midnight. About an hour ago it was 100.2 and the diarrhea is starting to form a little. It is more like runny oatmeal and that is so MUCH better than 24 hours ago, when she had a constant pipelike watery stream.

She is going 5 hours now between times of getting IV fluids and is still doing fine.

We haven't given up and neither has she!

My daughter who is 9, is continually telling her how many people are pulling for her.
default_smile.png

Glad you posted, I kept checking to see how things were going today!

I'm so glad to hear she is hanging in there!
default_aktion033.gif

default_pray.gif
for the best.

I am so glad she is improving...please keep us posted..She is still in my prayers for a continued improvement and successful recovery. You are also in my prayers..I know you must be tired at this point in her care.

I've seen lots of mat babies make it. Full size horses that are so weak they are on a mat and they need to be turned every two hours.. butt needs frequent cleaning and IV fluids and biosponge was always the course of action when I worked at the equine vets office.

A friend who works at a multi million dollar TB farm had a mare who died when the farm manager turned off the monitors but the foal survived. She had to bottle feed the horse until it was weaned. The foal.. now yearling is going to KY to a horse auction. Rumor is they suspect the foal should sell for over $100K. The foal had nothing but milk replacer.

Please post a picture when you can. I'm praying before you know it, she'll be home playing around your paddock and a happy camper.

I am so glad she is improving...please keep us posted..She is still in my prayers for a continued improvement and successful recovery. You are also in my prayers..I know you must be tired at this point in her care.

Thanks so much!!

She is doing great!!

The vet is considering taking out her IV this pm and just going with

oral meds. She has not required any fluids since 3 am today (and it had been 7 hours before that) and she has been maintaining her

temperature as well. The "D" is now about the consistence of glue, which is much improved.

The Vet told us today that they had been called to two TB farms today for foals with the

exact same symptoms as ours.

I'll keep you posted, but she does seem to be doing well today!!!
default_yes.gif

Every time I see you've posted, I'm almost afraid to read.

Sooo glad it's good news.

She's got a lot of people pulling for her.

Been away so just caught this thread.

Wishing you and Sassy all the very best. She certainly is a fighter. Prayers heading your way.

Anna

Miss Sassy is doing fabulous!!!!!

No more IV's and down to limited meds.... Yeah!!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Thank you all so much for all the prayers and good wishes!!!

default_aktion033.gif
Yay Sassy!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

I was waiting for this thread to open, repeating "please be good news, please be good news"!!! So happy to hear of all the progress she's made.

I am so happy to hear Sassy is improving. I just read about her plight and was afraid to go to the last page. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. I have a pony named Princess but she is better known as "Sassy Pony" because she is a fighter too. She's encountered many health issues but never gives up. Sounds like your little Sassy has her same spirit. She's lucky to have you as her family.
default_yes.gif

I'm so relieved to read that she's been doing better. I have been thinking about her and wishing her well ever since I read this thread.

Thank you for the update, and kudos to you for saving her!

Liz

Latest posts

Back