Very Sick Filly only 7 days old....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shimfessel5

Reaction score
I do not post here very often, but do read often for valuable info. Now I am hoping someone

has seen this before and can offer info before my little filly runs out of time...

Our filly was born last Thurs. Very uneventful birth everything went smoothly. She was

given a Tetanus shot and idoine on her navel. She seemed perfectly fine.

Sun. evening she seemed a bit sleepy, more so than normal for a new foal.

Monday she started with Diarrhea that was yellow and smelled horrible.

Tues morning. I talked with the vet he told me to give her Imodium AD and Tribessen (sp?)

Tues noon. I realized she was getting much worse. I call the vet to the farm. Her fever was 102.4

watery D, and borderline dehydrated. They did CBC's which appeared normal. Gave her Baytril,

Gentocin, and Banamine. Which I have been continuing to give.

Tonight her fever is still 102.0, still has D, and now her back legs seem to not be moving properly,

more like she is wanting to drag them or something.

She is really a fighter and is still up and moving around, but I don't see that her current meds

are helping as she has now been on them for over 24 hrs. She is so tiny, I am afraid that

she is running out of strength.

I don't know what else to do has anyone seen this before?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear your baby isn't doing well. Often when the foals show "foal heat diahrea" it turns out much worse than it should be due to infection or lack of antibodies. Since the vet said blood was good it must be infection which although is common the foal can be in danger since they are so vounerable at so young an age. The fact you have the vet taking care of her is right on top of things. Don't hesitate to call the vet again today if I were you (right now) since babies can go down fast. Makiing sure baby is nursing, peeing and pooping is a must as well as getting up and down to do so. If not call the vet. Usually the vets can change meds if something is not working. My suggestion is this- call the vet now and tell him how things are going. Make sure baby is warm, dry and nursing. Clean off babies butt with warm water, paper towel dry and put petroleum jelly all over so she won't get scalded and sore. Keep us updated!

Tammie

Did you have an IgG run on this filly? She almost sounds like failure of passive transfer to me. I would ask your vet if he can do a plasma transfer now. The meds she's on should help if they're going to. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I also wanted to mention that we've had pretty good luck using Spectam (antibiotic) for scours in foals.

also sounds a bit like salmonella infection which must be treated very aggressively! The horrible smelling diarrhea is usually a big symptom of this.

I would get an iv ran on her asap

Sending prayers!

They did give her fluids on Tues afternoon, she was just borderline dehyd. then

I think they gave her 300 cc? subcutaneousally (sp?)

I have checked her even tonight and she does not seem dehhydrated.

She is still nursing, and moving around.

But she spends a lot of time just standing around with her head hung down.

Heres an article on salmonella with foals at the bottom and one on foals with transfer failure. If her back legs arent working you would also have to suspect joint ill. The thing is off of these or any of these can lead to septicimia

What to Watch For

In the mild form, and in the early stages of infection, there may be little or no diarrhea, but fever is prominent in most cases. At this stage, there may be some mild colic signs. Fever and mild colic should suggest that Salmonella might be brewing. This is the stage when Salmonella is often wrongly disregarded.

In more severe cases, the diarrhea is projectile, malodorous, brown, profuse and watery. There is no discernible texture or form to the feces. Defecation makes the horse uncomfortable so tail switching, straining and periodic rectal prolapsing may occur. The horse searches in futility for a comfortable stance. Lying down and getting up repetitively is common when the diarrhea starts to pour.

In the most severe cases, there is considerable bloat, colic, flatulence and even bloody diarrhea. In these horses, Salmonella has probably caused considerable damage to the large and small intestine.

Diarrhea rapidly leads to dehydration of the horse. This is the biggest concern initially, because the horse cannot keep up by drinking. The losses are too much and too fast. Diarrhea washes away water and electrolytes, and proteins leak out of damaged blood vessels.

Horses with Salmonella become very toxemic due to a breakdown between the lining of the intestines and the blood stream. Toxic substances ("endotoxins") enter the blood stream and cause the affected horse to appear very sick and depressed. Endotoxins go everywhere in the body, damaging vessels and organs. This appears as a dark or even bright red discoloration of the gums. In the most severe cases of Salmonellosis (peracute Salmonellosis), the affected horse may be found dead.

Signs of colic during Salmonellosis are attributed to the damage inflicted on the lining of the intestinal tract by the invading Salmonella bacteria. The capability of the damaged intestine to move digesta and gas along is reduced leading to accumulations of distending gas that causes colic pain.

Effects on Foals

Young foals may also develop diarrhea associated with infection by Salmonella bacteria. Certainly, Salmonella infection should be considered as a possible cause in any foal presenting with diarrhea. Unfortunately, Salmonellosis in young foals appears to have a relatively unfavorable prognosis.

In many cases, the Salmonella bacteria invade the body of foals and cause septicemia (bacterial dissemination to different parts of the body). Common locations for Salmonella bacterial spread in foals include the joints (lameness attributable to septic arthritis) and the lungs (pneumonia). The most common symptoms of Salmonellosis are diarrhea and fever.

# Diagnosis (transfer failure)

The veterinary care of the foal with complete or partial failure of passive transfer begins with identifying the potential risk factors, performing a physical examination of the foal and conducting various blood tests. Treatment of failure of passive transfer depends on the foal's age. Specific tests include:

# Measure immunoglobulin (IgG) levels in colostrum before the foal suckles.

# Measure immunoglobulin (IgG) levels in high-risk foals at 12 hours of age. Adequate passive transfer is considered over 800 mg/dl of immunoglobulins (IgG). Complete FPT is defined as an IgG level under 200 mg/dl. Partial FPT is defined as measurements in the foal between 200 and 800 mg/dl IgG.

# Measure immunoglobulin (IgG) levels in normal foals within 24 hours of birth.

Treatment

# If the foal is less than 12 hours of age and has not nursed, then it is assumed that the foal has FPT and that it is in need of immediate colostrum.

# For the average 100 pound foal approximately 32 ounces of adequate quality colostrum is needed. This amount can be divided into 3 equal feedings, given hourly for 3 feedings.

# After 12 hours of age the foal's ability to absorb immunoglobulins is decreased and it is absent at 24 hours of age. In these cases it is important to provide the foal with immunoglobulins from another route. The only way to increase immunoglobulin levels after 24 hours of age is to administer plasma, the immunoglobulin-containing portion of blood, to the foals intravenously. It can also be given to the younger high-risk foal with complete or partial FPT as a supplement to colostrum administration.

Prevention

Not all foals with complete or partial failure of passive transfer will develop a life threatening infection. However, it has been shown that virtually all foals that develop life-threatening infections have at least partial failure of passive transfer. So making sure your foal gets good quality colostrum is the most important prevention.

Another way to decrease the chance of infection (septicemia) in the newborn foal, is to keep a clean foaling environment, especially when partial or complete failure of passive transfer is suspected. In fact, one study of a large well-managed breeding farm in Kentucky reported that foals with FPT did not have a higher rate of infection, in contrast to the common theory that all foals with FPT succumb to infection. What distinguished this farm was likely the immaculate sanitation of the stalls, and a policy that all foalings are attended by experienced foaling personnel. Foaling stalls were cleaned multiple times a day and freshly bedded. Foaling attendants made sure all foals stood and nursed within 2 to 3 hours of birth.

You can also decrease the amount of bacteria that the foal is exposed to by cleaning the stall and the mare immediately after the foal is born. Because the normal foal will suckle the walls, the mare's flank or her shoulder before finding the udder, cleaning the mare thoroughly may help. This has been shown to reduce the rate of transfer of Salmonella to foals, in one study. Special attention should be paid to cleaning the mare's udder, vulva and rear legs.

Next

Result Page:

I also encourage you to get an IgG done asap! Salmonella, ecoli and other problems can come from lack of antibodies.

Keep us posted.

Peggy

It is too early for foal heat.

By the way she is acting, my guess would also be transfer failure. I had a Morgan filly who had this a few days after she was born, and thankfully I caught it early. My vet wanted to watch and see, but a really good friend who is a top vet in Wisconsin said to get her to the U right away, he pegged it as transfer failure. I had the test done 24 hours after she was born and it had been borderline. Thankfully I got her to the U and she pulled through. They did tell me at the U that too many people wait too long, then there is nothing much they can do.

Call the vet and get the IgG test done. Also, when they get dehydrated, they will go down hill fast, so you may want the vet to give her more fluids. She must not be allowed to get dehydrated.

Good luck and let us know how she is doing.

I have spoken w/the vet twice in the last hour. Her fever is now 102.7

We are going to have her @ the vet when they open in the am, for more

tests and IV, etc.

They are also going to test for transfer failure.

Thanks for all the info.

I"m making a call for you to my brother in law who is nearby. I'll be back in touch if he can offer any ideas.

OK I just spoke with my brother in law who is a very well known and respected TB breeder in your neck of the woods up there.

He said he believes it is Botchelism.

He said he gives all his mares a shot of Bot-tox before they foal for this reason.

He said this is basically the same as what he calls the "shaker foal" where it hits the nervous system when it progresses.

He said if you would care to speak to him contact me for his number and he would like to help if possible. He's up on mare stare anyhow and would like to help. He asked who your vet was also on the case. He knows them all quite well.

I dealt with the same thing 2 yrs ago.

Perfectly healthy filly and then the diarrhea and it all went downhill.

Unfortunately, your vet took a very different approach to mine.

Bottom line, it really does not matter what it is...........they never found out the causes of it with my filly.

what is important is IV fluids IMMEDIATELY. My vet told me to get her to the vet clinic within the hour when he saw her. She was on IV's at the vets for a week and made a full recovery.

If I had not done this I would have lost her.

12 hours can be fatal with a situation like this.

Isolate her from other foals, if you have any, as this is normally very contagious.

I had a second foal come down with it and I immediately started giving peptobismol to stop the diarrhea. I also milked the mother and bottle fed the baby. I saved him, Thank God, but TIMING is crucial.

I am not a vet and just sharing my experience BUT I know I would have lost one or both if I had not acted immediately.

The pepto worked well, but I did get started on this before he got to a really weakended state.

The filly was too weak to care for at home.

I hope things turn out well.

I will be thinking of you and your foal.

My thoughts were also along the dehydration line, but it must be more than that, in order for the fever to be present. I would definately work on getting some fluids into this baby. Good Luck...sending prayers.
default_pray.gif

I agree with everyone who has posted......... A newborn going downhill like you described can crash and burn in a matter of an hour or two.

Please be aggressive with your vet. You need mom and baby at the vets' and on an IV with fluids and antibiotics.......no matter what the problem is. It could be botulism, e-coli, septicemia, navel ill........ The important thing is to be aggressive.

I can't give you any more info but I'm sending best wishes that your foal will be fine!!!

Glad you spoke with the vet again, I'd be reluctant to wait until morning if your foal is going downhill that quickly. In addition to the other good suggestions you have had, I have found BioSponge to be a great help with diarrhea. If you don't have it, your vet may carry it. For future reference it can be ordered from platinumperformance.com .

Sure hope for the best for you.

Jan

Thanks so much for all the info/suggestions everyone has been sending..

She has a fever of 103.7 this am.

I spoke with a different vet early this morning at

the equine hospital. My husband and daughter are currently in route to take

the mare and foal there.

I'll keep you posted..

Hope baby will be fine and they find the cause so hard to see them not well so young...

[SIZE=12pt]We have had good luck giving foals with this type of diarrhea oral antibotics (specifically Amikacin) at a dose of 1/4 ml, 2 times a day. It stays much more in the digestive tract to kill the bacteria there, than if it was given in the muscle. This is just what *our* vet recommends, but it has literally SAVED several foals for us. We also use the rescue type foal anti-diarrhea meds like VBG gel (available from a vet) I won't tell you this is not a critical situation, because it is. I hope your little girl starts feeling better very soon. [/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back