Very Sick Filly only 7 days old....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't add anything else to the good advice already posted but wanted to say I will keep you and your foal in my thoughts and prayers, hope she is doing better this morning, please keep us posted.

Yvonne

Just heard from the vet..

IgG count was normal.

Her WBC was elevated.

Kidneys aren't functioning very well, and the antibotics/banamine she was on, could have

been contributing to that.

Fever still 102.7

They are giving her IV fluids and Antibotic's for being Septic.

Gave her a better than 50/50 shot of making it, as she is still so strong and is still nursing.

They will be monitoring her for at least the next 24 hours. They are to call me this evening with an

update.

Thanks again for all the good thoughts and best wishes...

I will be watching and praying for her! Does she have a name? maybe she needs a strong name full of hope!! Hugs and hoping for the absolute best!!!

I hope she makes it. I cant believe that your vet didnt take more serious action in the beginning. New babies are so fragile, and as someone else here mentioned, crash and burn in a very short time! It is nothing that should be 'put off til tomorrow' and see what happens.

Our neighbors had a baby get sick like this a few years ago, and the regular vet was out of town. It took 3 calls to 3 vets before they got someone out there, who actually saved her (she would not have made it another 24 hours). As soon as they heard it was a Mini, their reaction was 'oh just give it some Pepto, it will be fine'. Turned out she was deathly ill! Seems like some vets just dont take Minis seriously, or dont care.

Please keep us posted and hope she does ok!

P.S. WBC elevation = infection somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be watching and praying for her! Does she have a name? maybe she needs a strong name full of hope!! Hugs and hoping for the absolute best!!!
Thanks so much...

Actually we have not "Offically" decided on a name for her. But my daughter has been

calling her "Sassy" since she was born...

Maybe it fits, she has been a fighter...
default_yes.gif

[SIZE=12pt]I would strongly recommend discussing the oral antibiotics I mentioned above with your vet. It won't hurt her and it has saved foals for us. Best of luck[/SIZE]
default_pray.gif

[SIZE=12pt]I would strongly recommend discussing the oral antibiotics I mentioned above with your vet. It won't hurt her and it has saved foals for us. Best of luck[/SIZE]
default_pray.gif

Thanks, I will look into it..

I am praying for a good outcome for you and your foal.

Hugs,

Robin

default_pray.gif

To be honest, I really don't know what they are giving her now. They said they

were a little more expensive due to the fact that they would not further damage/cause problems with her

kidneys.

Thanks.
[SIZE=12pt]Amakacin can cause damage, but the risk is significantly less when given orally.[/SIZE]

It is too early for foal heat.
Actually they can start to have foal heat at 7 days. Seen it myself (been breeding since '92)

Tammie
I originally did think it was foal heat related, the symptoms were very similar in the

beginning, But she was only 3 days old when this all started. She will just

be a week old this evening about 6.

Take an active part in what your vet is giving her and why. Dont be afraid to ask questions. This can be a great learning experience for you too! Also, vet's are not always right (I can certainly vouch doctors aren't either!) so dont be afraid to ask and demand suitable answers to questions that you have!! Have they done tests or even have a clue as to what it might be? Have they even discussed it with you?

Continue to keep us posted- sending prayers and good thoughts your way! And I think Sassy fits!

Just had a call from the vet...

"SASSY" IS DOING MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_biggrin.png

Her Fever is now down to 99.3, much better than the 103.7 from this am!!!!

They will be continuing to give her IV antibotics and fluid every two hours

for at least the next 24 hours.

Things are looking much better for her at the moment....

Thanks again for everybody's info and best wishes....
default_yes.gif

YAY SASSY!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Please inquire about giving ulcer meds for her if she is to be give oral antibiotics when she comes home.

So glad to hear the great news!! We are pulling for you!

Peggy

default_aktion033.gif

It is too early for foal heat.
Actually they can start to have foal heat at 7 days. Seen it myself (been breeding since '92)

Tammie
I originally did think it was foal heat related, the symptoms were very similar in the

beginning, But she was only 3 days old when this all started. She will just

be a week old this evening about 6.
You had said this had been going on for a few days and so I figured that she was only 3 or 4 days old when it started. It is not usual to have a foal heat that early. So I felt she was septic. My Morgan filly went septic at 3 days and acted like her.

I am so glad to hear she is doing better!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Miniv's suggestion for ulcer meds is a good one. Seems like these things snowball once they get sick, they are so much more susceptible to other complications. I have had great luck with Succeed - and have heard glowing reviews from others. Not ulcer medicine which you may need, but great digestive support which may help prevent ulcers. We had 6 babies on heavy duty antibiotics last summer which caused some serious diarrhea in the beginning. Vet suggested putting them on Succeed, and we had no more diarrhea, no ulcer problems (that I am aware of). Ask your vet, they should have it. Pricey of course and you have to buy it in quantity, but a little goes a long way with these guys.

Glad she is improving! We had a Sassy too who was a fighter. Went through a bout of pneumonia as a youngster, and just lost her a couple of months ago at 12 to colitis. Maybe your Sassy will take her place in the world.
default_smile.png

Jan

Latest posts

Back