Very Sick Filly only 7 days old....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is Sassy doing today?

Thanks for asking...

Her fever has stayed down, but she still has diarrhea.

The most she can go is 4 hours before they need to give her IV fluids again. They

are going to keep her at least another 24 hrs. ...

She is eating well and seems great otherwise!!!

Hopefully another day and she will be out of the woods..
default_smile.png

Keep us posted- hope she continues to improve! Years ago I had a new foal that had to have tons of meds, and I also fed live cultured yogurt to help with digestion and the good bacteria needed in the intestines. Make SURE it says live culture on the label, most yogurts now do not have it!!!

Keep us posted- hope she continues to improve! Years ago I had a new foal that had to have tons of meds, and I also fed live cultured yogurt to help with digestion and the good bacteria needed in the intestines. Make SURE it says live culture on the label, most yogurts now do not have it!!!

Well everybody, I am sad to report that Sassy has taken a turn for the worse.

Her fever is back up to 101 and she still has Diarrhea.

They are back to giving fluids every 2 hours instead of every 4.

They have also been giving her the yogurt as one of you had suggested.

We went and spent so time with her this evening and she is getting really weak,

she is still nursing, but I am afraid it isn't going to be enough.

We were really hoping she was going to make it as she had been fever free

for 24 hrs, but I am not so sure now.

She definently needs everybody prayers and wishes..

We will see what the morning brings..

Last edited by a moderator:
Our prayers are lifted for your sweet baby girl.

[SIZE=12pt]Several years ago I had a colt with chronic diarrhea. As a last resort we put him on Metamucil several times a day. Within a couple of days he was normal and stayed that way. You might try that. I couldn't believe how quick it started to work.[/SIZE]

Good luck with your baby!

Barbie

[SIZE=12pt]Several years ago I had a colt with chronic diarrhea. As a last resort we put him on Metamucil several times a day. Within a couple of days he was normal and stayed that way. You might try that. I couldn't believe how quick it started to work.[/SIZE]

Good luck with your baby!

Barbie

I really do appreciate everybody's support!!

However she has not improved any from last night,as things are still about the same.
default_sad.png

She Still has a fever of 101.3 and still has Diarrhea--which since yesterday afternoon

has been watery and clear, Which is like what she had on day two of getting sick.

I will discuss the Metamucil with them, at this point I don't think it could hurt.

We are going up there in a little bit and try to decide what to do next...

Sorry to hear she's not progressing this morning. BioSponge is a great product for diarrhea, I get it from my vet or directly from platinum performance. Has cleared it up when nothing else would. Hope she overcomes this.

Jan

Sorry to hear she's not progressing this morning. BioSponge is a great product for diarrhea, I get it from my vet or directly from platinum performance. Has cleared it up when nothing else would. Hope she overcomes this.

Jan

Thanks for your suggestion,

The vet has been giving her this since Thurs along with metranitrazol (sp?),

ampicillin, vasoveal (sP?), pepto, yogurt, and one more antibotic that I can't

remember the name of right now. (any and all of these Rx's listed maybe written

wrong, as to type/spelling, they have continually being changing as her condition

changes) As well as fluids.

I feel confident that this vet has given her the best in care. I would just like to

see a glimmer of improvement.

I believe at this point we will probably pick her up this afternoon and continue

to treat her at home for another 24 hours as they have been doing and see what happens.

Oh.. I am so sorry to read that update. She has been so strong though, I bet she can hold on until this is all over. You have my prayers!
default_pray.gif

Jan

I too would recomend this BioSponge. I have a yearling filly that got diarrhea in December. I tried everything to clear her up but nothing seemed to work. We are talking the kind that hits the wall in her stall and drips down. Her tail was one big poop ball, try keeping that clean in below zero weather. I even tried Fasttrack which has always worked for me. No go. By the middle of February I was at my wits end. My vet sent me some BioSponge and the filly cleared up within the week and has been fine since.

Just seeing this and haven't read the whole thread. I do hope your baby can get over this!!!!! Prayers your way.

I had an experience last year with a newborn that developed diahrrea on day 2, so was way to early for foal heat problems, and really not enough time to notice a problem from something entering the navel cord. But he was septic, nonetheless. My vet said that the germs probably entered orally as the baby looked for the teats. He told me that often the germs are from the mare's legs or body. We try to disinfect stalls, but not the mares.
default_wub.png
He said the real expensive KY broodmare farms practically disinfect the mares, with all the cleanliness they insist on. Anyway, that was a problem I had never had, not even thought of.

He put my colt on daily shots of pennicillin and gentamicin for 4 days (only - said that was all a baby could handle). Of course, we treated the diahrrhea with Pepto Bismol. This course of treatment took care of my baby, so maybe you can discuss this with your vet.

Hope this helps.

Rita

I'm so sorry that Sassy is still having problems.
default_sad.png
Will keep her in my thoughts and prayers, hoping for the best!

Latest posts

Back