Very scary few minutes!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty'smom

Reaction score
Today I was doing my usual routine, cleaning the barn/ stall and a freaky thing happened that scared the you know what out of me.......my husband got a muck cart for me back in the summer, I was using a couple of buckets before and this makes the walk across the field to empty them way easier!! Well after I emptied the bucket I set it inside the barn but left the cart outside the barn. Misty and Josie have messed with it in the past like rubbing against it or just pushing it. But today.....I was in the barn and heard a ruckus outside and looked out and Misty had her head through the cart handle and was running spooked full speed with the cart flying off the side of her neck!! With my heart in my throat I tried to get her to slow down, stop, come to me but she didn't for only maybe a minute but it seemed like a long time. She then put her head down THANK GOD, and the cart came flying off. I ran over to her and calmed her down and checked her all over and she was OK! I was still shaking and felt so,so bad, I checked her all over a couple more times throughout the day. Can't seem to shake that image of my poor girl running scared and what might have happened......
default_sad.png

Please if you use one of these keep it away from your minis especially if you see them curious or interested in it!!!

Glad she is ok.

You just described something that happened to Halo, last year. My husband and I had set up our folding chairs, in where she was grazing, to just hang out for the day, and I went to the car to get something, when I looked up and saw that my husband had gotten up and went to look at something, well my curious little girl, sniffed the chairs and my husband's was one of those that fold completely up, very small, made out of canvas. Well, she stuck her head through the arm and that startled her and off she ran, with that chair off to the side of her neck. We didn't chase her, but we did walk fast, trying to get to her. She finally stopped and just stood there, when my husband got to her, he took the chair off and we acted like nothing had happened. Was trying not to freak her out anymore than what she was. When we turned around, all the bigger horses were lined up at the fence line, looking left out...like they wanted to know why they didn't get a toy like that? LOL

These curious little ones, can sure cause a heart attack.

Y'ep scary stuff can happen in the blink of an eye. The most innocent actions can lead to detrimental results. My gypsy vanner had to have her eye removed two years ago, thirty seconds I wish I could take back, that is all it took. Life goes on and she is an amazing girl, but if you ever hear that little voice say " are you sure you want to tie them there, leave that chair there, leave the gate unlatched foe just a second, ......" listen to that voice, it only takes a second for horrible things to happen.

Yep, I didn't think to tell my husband to stay with the chairs. He was sitting there, when I got up to go to the car. We know that now.

I can't imagine a muck cart though. So thankful that Misty was ok.

We sure learned from our experience...now, I freak out, if my husband tries to leave a bucket unattended. Worry about the handle getting over her neck.

Y'ep scary stuff can happen in the blink of an eye. The most innocent actions can lead to detrimental results. My gypsy vanner had to have her eye removed two years ago, thirty seconds I wish I could take back, that is all it took. Life goes on and she is an amazing girl, but if you ever hear that little voice say " are you sure you want to tie them there, leave that chair there, leave the gate unlatched foe just a second, ......" listen to that voice, it only takes a second for horrible things to happen.
Yes. Listen to that little voice. Nothing may happen 100 times. Then 1 time...

So glad Misty's experience turned out all right.

Thanks friends for sharing your scary moments and kind words!! I probably will have bad dreams tonight seeing her so scarred with that cart flying around....even when it came off it went flying through the air!! I was lucky it didn't land on me or Josie who was just standing there watching her poor sister!! Afterward Misty just buried her head under my arm for a big hug, sweet baby girl!!! It's not real heavy but not too light either, the wheels are like small yard tractor wheels. We are so lucky that our guardian angel was watching over us today!!!

I had a hay tote like this one: http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbengraving/Hay%20Tote.JPG Same style, different brand. I had it thrown over a fence panel in the loafing shed, no one had even noticed it til Tilly (yearling donkey jenny); she got curious and got the strap around her neck, it spooked her she ran, it flapped so she ran some more, well it wouldn't have been so bad, but she "chased" poor Baybe (skittish mini mare) around the paddock and spooked Baybe. Baybe was afraid of the barn for like a week after that incident, and doesn't like anything flappy and blue. [she was afraid of Honey in her blue blanket, so I switched her to her pink blanket and no more problem.] No one was physically hurt, but it took weeks for Baybe to completely calm down after that. Once the tote was off, Tilly was back to herself, and pretty much unfazed.

We were fortunate, that Halo really didn't spook that bad. Stopped, let us get the chair off, then we sat the chair up and sat down again, and she never acted afraid of it at all. But I sure look at things differently due to that happening with her.

I am very glad that misty is okay! It is amazing how quickly a situation can turn into a crisis. They say curiosity killed the cat but I think ponies are worse off as they panic and often escilate a situation to catastrophic proportions. My OTTB mare got her head through a cattle corral panel (there were 8 of them pinned together to form a small pen) she panicked and pulled back with her head stuck dragging herself down with the collapsed pen with my mini mare inside it! She knocked me down with it, breaking my jaw and occipital bone and She drug the pile of panels with her nose in the dirt and my mini a $$ over tea kettle half way across the pasture before passing out. I thought she was dead. I pulled the top panel off her head, pulled my mangled mini out of the rubble and my tb came to and just walked off to graze like nothing happened. Luckily my mini only had scratches and bruises and no broken bones. It tookba while to explain to the vet what exactly happened.

Wow Amysue.... seriously scary!!!

Mistysmom... I had a yearling colt do the exact same thing with a muck cart! He ran and ran until he ran into the fence where I pulled it off him. The very next time I took the cart in I thought he would run away from it but instead he tried and tried to reenact it! crazy little beggers! Definitely have to keep an eye them.
default_yes.gif

I'm glad all is ok. Look out for lawn chairs, electrical cords, and kids toys, too. Horses can be extremely accident prone! The more years in horses the more crazy things people come across.

Oh AmySue what a terrible thing to go through!! And you were hurt pretty bad too, a broken jaw and occipital bone, is that a bone near your eye?? I can certainly understand how quick these situations get very dangerous in a blink of an eye. Glad that you and your horses were not hurt worse although your injuries sounded awful!!!!

Jax, I know exactly what you mean, brought the muck cart into the barn area and was trying to pop that bar at the bottom (the one that folds to make it stand up) into place and there was Misty right there with her nose into what I was doing!!!! She did not seen afraid of the cart nor spooked when I moved the cart near the stall. In fact she followed me across the field to empty it with her nose right in the bucket as usual!!! Josie doesn't seem to bother things as much and really minds her own business like a good girl!!!
default_smile.png
Maybe Misty will outgrow some of this curiosity or not!!!! LOl

Here is a picture of my barn and you can see the Muck cart outside the fence. Then there is nosey Misty!! See look at nose, she won't even let me take a picture of her without sticking her nose in the camera lens!!! Then there is sweet Josie minding her own Bees Wax eating her hay!!!!
default_smile.png

IMG_5910.jpgIMG_5937.JPGIMG_5942.JPGIMG_5949.JPG

Glad everything turned out okay! Most of the time when my horses scare themselves from being nosey (obviously not in a dangerous way such as what Misty did) I laugh and tell them that's what they get for being nosey. Also popping in to say I wanna steal little Josie cause shes just so stinkin adorable

Latest posts

Back