Very sad couple of days (long)....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lvponies

Reaction score
It's been absolutely awful!!! Have always had really good luck with the minis, but this year.....

One of the maiden mares had next to no belly. Didn't get wide at all. I would have expected her to foal in a couple months maybe. If I hadn't seen the baby move, I would have thought she was just a little pudgy. No signs of imminent birth, no bag, no nothing. Wasn't watching her at all.

Sunday morning I went down to feed the horses. It was about 23 degrees and there was a hard frost. Fed the horses, put out hay. Everything normal. Looked at one of my maiden mares and noticed she was looking a little thinner. Looked closer and saw blood on her legs. No baby anywhere. Started looking around and finally found the bag. No baby! Kept looking and saw a baby lying across the fence line way down from where I found the bag. Thought it was dead and then saw it's mouth moving. Jumped over and picked her up. Yep....a filly and buckskin to boot!! Totally frozen, but still alive. Brought her up to the house and my daughters and I spent about 2.5-3 hours warming her up with a hair dryer in a hot room. Started to see some response as she was moving her legs some. Never was able to hold her head up, never tried to stand. She then stopped responding at all, just laid there. We also tried giving her warm sugar water and some pancake syrup (didn't have any karo), still no response, not really swallowing. Called my vet who said he didn't have the facilities to care for her and told me to call the equine animal hospital. Spoke to a vet there and her first words were......it's going to be very expensive and the prognosis is poor. She felt the baby was probably in a coma which is what I had thought too. Also, the baby's bottom lip was totally hanging down, never came back up at all. She never was able to get control of her head and she just flopped around. Only made a few feeble attempts at moving her legs. I made the painful decision to let her go without further treatment. The filly looked full term......had all her hair, mane & tail. Beautiful little girl!! She actually was a big girl for as small as her mom was. I feel awful, but the mare never showed any signs of impending birth at all. Nothing!! Never got a bag.

Lost another baby yesterday. Mare tried really hard to reposition and deliver the baby. Colt presented butt first. I tried to do what I could, but only felt one leg. Vet came and one leg was hooked, got that straightened out and then was hip locked. Finally got colt out. He was badly deformed. Back feet bent the wrong way (backwards), front feet no tendon, very floppy. Bottom jaw jutted out further then the top. He never could have been able to walk if he had survived. Vet said he probably would have had to be put down if he had survived. Tiny little thing!! Vet said this was one of the hardest deliveries she has had. Mare was very small. She's had 2 or 3 babies before. One for me....a beautiful little filly. Waiting on the mare to pass the placenta. Vet gave her a shot of oxytocin yesterday, so far nothing. Vet will be out again this morning to give another shot.

Terrible, terrible couple of days!! I know breeding is not for the faint hearted, but OMG!!

Still waiting on 3 maidens who are alot bigger then the one who lost her baby. I have all 3 in stalls in the barn because.....you just never know. They may not look ready or show any signs at all and then something awful happens.

Gosh you have had an awful couple of days. Our thoughts are with you for better times with you next 3 mares.
default_sad.png

I am so sorry for your losses. Please make sure your vet gets on that placenta thing soon!!!! I don't want to scare or upset you but I lost a mare 3 years ago thursday to a retained placenta. Of course we lost the baby first and I don't want anyone to go thru that. Keep on top of the situation. Sending prayers. Sheila
default_sad.png

Oh no sending hugs :no:

So sorry for your loss....hope the rest of foaling season for you is easy and happy. :no:

[SIZE=14pt]So sorry for your losses. I know it is really hard.[/SIZE]

Lyn

So sorry for your losses, both are tragic, but you did all you could.

Please don't beat yourself up on this. It's so easy to get into the "What if's" and "I should have's" when you lose a foal. Fortunately your mares are okay. Best of luck with your other three mares.

[SIZE=14pt]So sorry you lost your little babys. For your little guy, there was nothing to be done. As for the girl, I would have done the same thing. If you think they are open, you stop watching so closely. Definately was not your fault. I am sorry you had all this happen to you. [/SIZE]

I am so very sorry for your losses...how painful! It's bad enough to lose one, but to go through that and then lose another, the very next foal, must have been devastating.

In the case of the second one, it sounds like it was a dwarf(from your description of it's legs, both front and rear, from the severely undershot mouth, and also, dwarfs are often in the breach position), so I think that one was a blessing in disguise, but still does not numb the pain of a loss.

Hope the rest of your season goes better. (((HUGS)))

Last edited by a moderator:
Mona,

I think the colt was a dwarf too. Just couldn't bring myself to say it out loud. This is my first ever dwarf. First time this mare and stallion have been bred together. Both mare and stallion have had normal babies when not bred togther. No history of dwarfs for either of them. I won't be breeding this mare back this year as the birth was just so hard on her and won't be breeding her back to the stallion ever. It was a blessing in disguise. My vet felt that he had already passed before she started labor. He was completely cold when he was finally delivered.

Thank you to everyone for being there for me through this!! Hubby and kids are here, but they just don't understand.

Kim

I am so sorry for your losses.It is so difficult to wait almost a year and then lose the babies.Stay on that retained placenta.I had a case many years ago where the mare retained the placenta for almost 1 week.The vet came every day&did a uterine flush on the mare with a saline solution.She suggested that I tie a 1 pint mineral oil bottle to the placenta for a little more weight.You might ask your vet about these options.Everything came out good for my mare&she went on to have more foals.Good luck&keep us posted.

Kim, so sorry, it is always so hard to loss any of them.

Just have to ask was the first mare (maiden) one of the Bandito daughters? You know "grandma" here is just wondering......

I am so sorry for the losses this week... and I agree that the second foal sounds like it was a dwarf. It just had too many issues to survive and further.

Maiden mares can be tricky, but I have had even seasoned mares not show ANY signs of getting closer to foaling. I use a camera and a breeder alert, and without those, could have had a couple of disasters myself. (Purchased because my very first mini foal was from an old mare, who also showed no signs of immediate foaling and the foal suffocated in the sac)

Good luck with your upcoming babies and hope all goes well!!

Erica.....the buckskin filly that didn't make it Sunday was out of Freedom. Pretty filly with beautiful buckskin color!! I was really sorry to lose her. Diva and Freedom's babies were the 2 I was looking forward to the most this year. Diva is still hanging in there. I'm watching her closely. Hopefully, all will go well with her!!!

I'm so sorry for your losses. It's so hard not to "what if" yourself but these mini's are tricky. You did what you could and that's all we can do. I did read an article in Equus the other day that I found interesting about warming cold babies. The vet had suggested putting the foal in the bathtub and the people went one step further....they put it in the hot tub(person laid in the tub and had the foal on top of her). I thought it was a good tip to share for the future. Good luck with your other 3.

I am also sorry that you lost the foals. Best of luck with the next ones.

So very sorry for your loss -- breeding is not as easy as some would have us to believe.

Especially when your horses are "family" not "livestock".

Any mare can have a text book delivery - any mare can have a nightmare experience.

I feel so badly for you --

JJay

I am SOO Sorry. It truly is heartbreaking when these things happen. I know it is part of breeding but it is still hard, like a punch in the gut. I pray all your others foal easily.

Sheri

Latest posts

Back