Verizon Christmas Commercial

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=12pt]Flame away
default_torch.gif
I thought it was cute
default_biggrin.png
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Joy[/SIZE]

I just saw it and admittedly cracked up when I heard the distorted roaring whinny sound effect. I agree--lighten up guys; the commercial is obviously exaggerated. This reminds me of the news article I just read where they decided it was offensive for Santa to say ho ho ho.

Well, I thought it was funny, too.

And I doubt if it will undermine anyone's sales or breeding program - can someone explain how? I think that at times we get a bit oversensitive about things...

It's a commercial. Not a documentary - or an expose on 60 Minutes...
default_rolleyes.gif

I just saw it and admittedly cracked up when I heard the distorted roaring whinny sound effect. I agree--lighten up guys; the commercial is obviously exaggerated. This reminds me of the news article I just read where they decided it was offensive for Santa to say ho ho ho.
Oh, my husband cracked up over the whinny. He said, "It REALLY doesn't sound like that whinny actually came from THAT horse!"

Well flame my buns. I was the person who first posted that silly commercial on the Photo/Video Forum, and darnit if it hasn't gone around the internet offending people. All I can do is don my flame suit and say it's a silly commercial, and it was funny. Just about anyone who viewed that would know that isn't the right way to house a pony and laugh at the silliness of it all.

I'm sorry if that video offends you. I think that little beggar will convince most people not to buy a pony or horse as a present this year IMO. We all know most miniatures do not represent that little horse also.

default_saludando.gif

:Kim

I watched the commercial on utube and could not see it clearly. I then saw it on tv. I wish they would have had the horse rip some of the roof off rather than have a horse that wind sucked. To me it would have been funnier. It just makes me cringe every time I see a horse wind suck (big or little).

Hi,
default_saludando.gif

I'm posting this response "here" because I've gotten so many emails asking me if the mini in this particular commercial is Chuckie (my trick trained gelding that I recently sold). In hopes to answer everyone simultaneously (because the majority of those who've inquired are also LB'ers here
default_wacko.png
)...the answer to your question is...

Yes, he is a very adorable mini in the commercial, but NO, that is NOT Chuckie.
default_wink.png

The markings are closely similar, I agree, except that Chuckie has a BLACK tail. The tail on the mini in the commercial is white.

Here are a couple "you tubes" that I made of Chuckie before he left us, and you can see that he is not the same little guy in the verizon commercial.

Hope this helps to answer everyone's inquiries...
default_wink.png
Have a good night ya'll.
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I can think of a lot of commercials that are a lot more offensive, I thought it was funny.

I finally saw the comercial this evening and it actually looked like the horse was shakin his head"no" when asked if he bites. If this is the worse they can do to make our babies look bad, I don't think we have anything to worry about. It is staged after all. After all--what horse--big or small--will eat a roof unless it is made of grass or grain??? lol

OK, I am a Scrooge but I did not think it was funny. Roast me on an open fire...

I did not like the spoiled brat teens contemplating the mini... and the fact that many pets are given as gifts during the holidays and many end up as rescues because the new owners "thought" the animal would behave in a certain way. Just ask any rescue organization after the holidays.

I posted on another board and folks had their fun telling me I should get real, that taking my mini to nursing homes etc was dangerous.. and that they did not know what world I was living in. YAWN. Oh yeah, one poster would never buy a horse from me. Like I am worried.
default_rolleyes.gif

Twelve years of community service on a volunteer basis visiting nursing homes, schools and libraries...being hugged by kids with cancer and patted by elderly people who were happy to have us visit - inspiring kids to take on their own therapy projects and an interest in school, making people smile rather than disgruntled, having one of our foals at a pre-school in MA that is on the Boston's Best List and another one at another nursery school in Walpole...and another one in NY state visiting schools and nursing homes....

Changing the world, one mini step at a time...I'd rather see minis shown positively, myself.

I emailed Verizon, too.

Denise

Silversong Farm

The only thing that really bothered me was that the horse was chained to a dog house and chewing on whatever the dog house roof was made of.

The sound gave me a "sick" feeling, and I felt sorry for the horse.

I didn't "catch" the wind sucking and I will try to take better notice next time I see the commercial.

Like all christmas commercials we will see it a lot
default_yes.gif
however I don't think people who are interested in buying a mini will be using that commercial as their basis for doing so.

The mini buyers we are looking for are the ones who are "informed" and if that commercial "turned someone off" they are not the buyers I was looking for anyway.

My hubby and I don't care for it. I didn't think it was funny.

BUT...........IF..........

Same ad but if the horse was seen going poop! And the friend asks "Does he do that often?", and the girl says "Yes ALL the time!" Now THAT would have been funny!

Same message but not portaying the horse as being mean and destructive.

And that is my thoughts
default_biggrin.png

Same ad but if the horse was seen going poop! And the friend asks "Does he do that often?", and the girl says "Yes ALL the time!" Now THAT would have been funny!

And that is my thoughts
default_biggrin.png
I agree, that would have been funny
default_biggrin.png

And that is my thoughts
default_biggrin.png
That is a heck of a lot more funny to me!
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

And the general public knows if it eats, it certainly poops and you have to clean up after it!
default_wink.png

Saw the commercial again last night - IMHO it looked like the mini was crib biting the dog house and when he shook his head at the end, it just looked like his forelock or mane was tickling his ears. Since the girl in the commercial did not seem to like her gift pony, I did not see the correlation with him saying no when the friend asked if it bites.

Just a thought - while many of us have wonderful minis that we know and love... what if the commercial mini panicked while being tied to the dog house? That little horse could certainly drag the dog house around, injuring people and himself in the process. The safety issues and the bratty teens with not an ounce of gratitude is what got to me.

I prefer the Budweiser Clydesdale commercials that use positive portrayals of the horse, and even when they use humor, it focuses on what horses do naturally... like the gassy grey horse hitched to the sleigh in the park with the couple out for a romantic evening....

Just my humble opinion...

Denise

Silversong Farm

[

Just a thought - while many of us have wonderful minis that we know and love... what if the commercial mini panicked while being tied to the dog house? That little horse could certainly drag the dog house around, injuring people and himself in the process. The safety issues and the bratty teens with not an ounce of gratitude is what got to me.
Having been on commercial shoots as well as photo shoots I can tell you the horse would not have drug the house around injuring anyone or himself. They have not only there own trainer but others on site within inches of the horse that you are not seeing those horses are safer in there shoots then any left tied in the barn aisle while we run into the tack room.

And I assure you while a horse going to the bathroom would not be offensive to us those that clean it every day and have on occasion prayed for it with a colicky horse- trust me many others would be very very offended by it. I am not sure I am ready for commercials with dogs, people, and animals visably going poo

Last edited:
And I assure you while a horse going to the bathroom would not be offensive to us those that clean it every day and have on occasion prayed for it with a colicky horse- trust me many others would be very very offended by it. I am not sure I am ready for commercials with dogs, people, and animals visably going poo

I asked the same non-horse people I asked about this commercial what they would have thought if the horse was pooping and they all said they would complain and find it very offensive, especially since the commercial often comes on around dinner time. I was kind of disappointed because I thought the poop idea was pretty funny, but then again I have a twisted sense of humour, and most of my day is spent dealing with poop of one sort or another so I'm kinda used to it...

I found it rather insulting as well... I have not read all the posts.. anyone have an email for them?

I like the poop idea too...

What horse will eat a roof? One that is not getting enough feed or fiber.... my neighbors big horses were kept in wooden corrals, and they WERE fed enough and well cared for, but ate through the boards at least once a month!!

And, you would be shocked at how much info non horse people get from TV. My neighbors bought horses and decided that they can run every where they go- they do it in the western movies!! We told them to go ahead and saddle up and run on out to the windmill (it was miles away) - but take their phone if it works out there cause they would have to call for a ride home when the horses dropped dead. (And yes, we knew of a ranchhand years ago that actually killed 2 horses and almost a third on 2 different ranches- he was fired from both) Ignorant idiot....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back