Verizon Christmas Commercial

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muffntuf

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I don't know about you, but I work really hard to promote miniature horses and shetland ponies in our area, region and the US. Verizon Wireless has a new commercial out that shows a miniature horse eating a dog house and three teen age girls discussing their Christmas Gifts. One recieved a raspberry colored phone the other the Chocolate phone. While I understand what they are trying to accomplish - they insult the small equine world by implying that the miniature bites people. It even has the Verizing guy almost step back when the miniature pulls a piece of the roof off the doghouse.

Please email and call Verizon and ask them to modify their commercial or pull it. I believe this hurts our small equine image.

I was mad when I saw that commercial last night too. I think it is insulting to all equines and equine lovers. One of the friends ask if it bites and the girl says yes too. It was disturbing to think they have to put down an animal to sell their product.
default_no.gif

Yep - small horses bite & you better be afraid of them!!!
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
Same tactic a lot of salespeople use - show negitivity on something else to make your product look good
default_wacko.png
. Could boycott the product........ Oh & does your mini whinny sound like that one? Not!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I honestly didnt find it offensive at all. To be perfectly honest I think if I didnt have minis I would not have paid much attention to the horse at all

I am not sure anyones opinion would be swayed by a phone commercial? Especially ones that are trying to be humorous

Last edited:
I looked it up on youtube, I don't think it is that big of a problem. If you are interesting in purchasing a mini then I highly doubt that this will be throwing you off. And if they base all of their knowledge off of a phone commercial then they probably shouldn't have one anyways.

The only thing that bothers me is the horse is chained up way, and way too low.

Here is the link if anyone wants to see it:

I saw it and I was not a happy camper.Maybe those people who are thinking about getting their kids a pony for Christmas will have second thoughts.We have lots of education to do in this breed.I have had 2 different parties in the last week wanting to get a pony for Christmas.1 lady has a 3 yr old and an 18 month old and wants a baby Mini so they can grow up togehter.She also has no shelter, no fencing and a 1/4 acre lot.I think(I hope)I talked her out of it.She wants to pay around $200.The other was a grandmom who wants to buy 1 for the grandkids and only wants to spend $100.She also has no idea what is involved.I tried, in a nice way, to give her some education, but she wasn't receptive.she just asked where our local junk animal auction was located and if they had Minis there.My answer was -I don't know.I really feel sorry for the animals that may end up in these situations.

I'm starting to see more minis in commercials which I thought would be great but not any more..one question WHO owns that mini and why would they do that? Besides they don't even know it's NOT a pony! It's a horse! Guess as long as there's money involved it will happen. I just don't watch. :DOH!

Maxine

Thanks so much for posting. AN advertising company called me to use one of my minis. I didnt know the particulars. All they said was they needed a mini and it would be tied to to a dog house. It sounded odd to me and I didnt like to sound of the ad. I am sooo glad I didnt do it!! I hate that commercial. I hate any commercial that makes animals look cruel. Whether it is a mini, cat or dog. I really hate an animal tied up!!!! Shame shame on you!!!!

I saw the commercial for the first time last week. I was a bit put off on the "biting" question in the commercial and how the gal says yes so quickly when asked if he bites. Also ...I'll have to look again...but at one point it actually looks as if the little horse is wind sucking off of the dog house! :DOH!

Gosh it sure doesn't sound like I'm in the majority here but I don't mind that commercial at all. I thought it was kind of cute. I guess I took it as the teenage girl had probably asked for a pony every year when she was younger and never got it. Finally her parents decided to get it for her but now that she is a little older, she no longer wants it. That situation happens a lot with children growing up and losing interest in animals. I could also see a couple of my horses doing the same thing being tied to a dog house - chewing on it and cribbing on it. And I will be the first to admit my horses, especially my geldings, DO nip. I think people are just reading way too much into this.

Well, I also thought it was funny. My non-horsey family who only knows about mini's because I am in the family never even thought it was a mini, they thought it was just a run of the mill pony and that it was funny because they have all heard about pushy little ponies since they were kids. In fact one of them got bit by a nasty little pony when they were little and they thought it was the funniest thing they ever saw. Not a single one even thought it was a mini horse.

I agree with Rachel, people are reading too much into it. I think the commercial and the concept is funny. It's not intended to put down the horse. I doubt any serious buyer would look at this commercial and be swayed.

When I first saw this commercial I thought it was hilarious!! I bought my first mini at Christmas time, and told everyone I got a pony for Christmas.

I looked at it again via You Tube and still find it funny. However, coming from breeding Dalmatians and living through the 101 Dalmatians debacle, this is not so bad. Those who are thinking about getting a pony for Christmas will think again. The people who are not horse oriented, thinking they would make a cute pet, will stop and think about it again with the picture in their mind it is not as easy as it might look.

Those who are horsey oriented will look at it, realizing that it is a funny commercial, that you do not chain minis and that they can not live in a dog house, that they would eat it instead. Much better than making it look easy and that they are cute and cuddly to the general public.

FYI when I bought my first mini, he was on a 10 ft chain with no shelter and a small bucket of water. Needless to say that is not his life anymore, and he LOVES to run in his 2 acre yard. He gives the word spoiled a whole new meaning!

I agree. I don't think its offensive at all. Its just saying how every kid grows up wanting a pony, and they were joking saying now people want cell phones instead of ponies. I don't think it gave a bad rep at all. Just that horse. If people won't go out and buy a mini just because of a verizon commercial then they shouldn't be owning them anyway.

I do not think it is offensive. I sometimes use the "yes it bites" when I don't want to stop and let everyone in the world pet the little horse. Maybe if people who would keep a mini tied to something might think twice before doing so.

I found it hilarious actually
default_biggrin.png
I was totally cracking up that it was "eating" the doghouse roof
default_new_shocked.gif
Of course I also have a very warped sense of humor
default_wink.png

The whole idea of this comercial is to make "every girls dream pony" look bad next to the wonderful, fantastic, amazing new phone they are promoting. It is done lightheartedly and I found it funny as all getout. No real horse lover is going to be turned away from a purchase because of a silly commercial! Relax a little and laugh a bit more--it is just funny!
default_biggrin.png

It is so funny how some people spazz out finding insult behind every tree. The whole dang world doesn't have to be PC on every little tiny thing--really! If you don't like it, turn it off. Frankly I find more distaste in seeing feminine heigene and erectile dysfunction commercials on evening television! That is MY issue, so I turn it. :DOH!

-Amy

Wait wait--can I change my answer???
default_rolleyes.gif

Yes--I am horribly offended and they OBVIOUSLY went to great pains to sabbotage the miniature horse/pony industry! I bet their ad designers sat around and conspired about what animal industry would be the most vulnerable too! Dogs? Welll...what breed? That is pretty wide open. Goats? Naaaaaaaa Aflak already used that one. Ferrets!!! No...Budweiser already made them look bad--along with those wicked racoons, Dang them anyway! Hmmmm...I've got it! PONIES!
default_risa_suelos.gif

Sorry--I have a twisted sense of humor....couldn't help myself.

I'm starting to see more minis in commercials which I thought would be great but not any more..one question WHO owns that mini and why would they do that? Besides they don't even know it's NOT a pony! It's a horse! Guess as long as there's money involved it will happen. I just don't watch. :DOH!

Maxine
I have to respectfully disagree with you Maxine. Miniature Horses ARE ponies. The "Breed" is called "Miniature Horse" only because the people who started the registry decided to call them that. Before the registries started, they were called "Midget Ponies" Technically, any horse under 14 1/2 hands is classified as a pony. So, Miniature Horses definitely fall into that category & are ponies, most of which were bred down from Shetlands.
default_yes.gif

Years ago, people used to get really irate if you called their Miniature Horse a pony.
default_rolleyes.gif
But, we are more "enlightened" know & call them exactly what they are.

I, personally, don't care if people call my Minis....ponies, Miniature Horses, or little horses, or little ponies. They are ALL of these.
default_yes.gif

And......the commercial doesn't bother me at all. You can see all kinds of things in commercials...most aren't taken seriously.
default_wink.png

Personally I think it's a stupid commercial, but I don't know as I'd consider it offensive. I very much doubt it will ruin anyone's sales, because as has been already said--anyone that is seriously interested in horses isn't going to be swayed by something so stupid. Anyone that will be put off of ponies--or Minis--by that commercial is probably someone that is better off not owning a horse or pony in the first place; someone that knows so little about horses/ponies that they are influenced by a really stupid phone commercial that just happens to use a small pony in it...do you really WANT to sell to that person?

And......the commercial doesn't bother me at all. You can see all kinds of things in commercials...most aren't taken seriously.
default_wink.png
I totally agree Dona. Who could possibly take any commercial seriously?
default_wacko.png
Better things to do with my time then worry about some seriously stupid commercial.

Personally I think it's a stupid commercial, but I don't know as I'd consider it offensive. I very much doubt it will ruin anyone's sales, because as has been already said--anyone that is seriously interested in horses isn't going to be swayed by something so stupid. Anyone that will be put off of ponies--or Minis--by that commercial is probably someone that is better off not owning a horse or pony in the first place; someone that knows so little about horses/ponies that they are influenced by a really stupid phone commercial that just happens to use a small pony in it...do you really WANT to sell to that person?
EXACTLY!

Latest posts

Back