Venting about two problem dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
probably an obvious question but has either dog been desexed??
default_wink.png
could be the answer to your probs.... or help the situation... ?

Ok I've read enough so I guess I'll chime in and just talk straight up and hope you don't get mad at me because I do think they world of you.

First, Its very upsetting to me to read what your brother is doing to the dog. Please make him stop. You have to. That cannot continue another day.

These two dogs should not be blamed for a thing. They are dogs and acting the way a lot of dogs do naturally out of instinct. None of what is happening there is their fault whatsoever but yet they are both paying the price. DOG A is being very misunderstood. He is obsessive with your mother most likely because he is insecure and/or trying to be dominant at the same time and is totally confused. It is also natural for many dog breeds to stalk and chase and it does not mean they are bad at all. It is bred into them. Many dogs & cats don't naturally get along in the first place so I don't understand why these two higher energy dogs are being placed with cats right under their nose to be taunted by them by their mere presence in the first place. Same goes for the dogs being put together when they don't get along and of course the result is going to be a dog fight. You cannot force two dogs to get along. That takes a LOT of work and a lot of time and consistency. They have no idea how to respect each other's space and have to be taught and it is not going to happen at this stage of the game on its own. Its the humans in this situation that have set up all these animals in one home together for failure. All of you neglected to set boundaries and provide the necessary time and training and the result is dead cats, dog fights, and horrible dog abuse by your brother. This whole thing is way out of control it makes me so sad I can cry. .

In essence this is what you have: You who are too busy, your mom who is perhaps in denial does nothing, and your brother whose only answer is to plummet the crap out of your dog. I have no idea what to tell you other than a lot of changes need to be made today and I would love you to step up and take control.

One suggestion I can make is to put both dogs on a good strong exercise program such as walking them together on a leash one in each hand for an hour or more a day to get some of that energy and tension out of them and then get them to a treadmill for another couple of hours, teach them and train them and stop the insanity. Adding: I don't think its fair that you are in this alone and hope you can convince your fam to give you back up. Best wishes for success.

Last edited by a moderator:
One suggestion I can make is to put both dogs on a good strong exercise program.
Best idea Marty. There's an old saying that a tired dog is a good dog. However, one person walking both dogs is not a good idea at all. Should they get into a fight while out or decide to go after another dog, then one person will most probably not be able to control things.

First and hopefully, they are both neutered. If not, get them neutered asap.

Secondly, join an obedience class and take both dogs. Complete the course and do the necessary homework between classes.

Thirdly, make sure they are crated and/or never left alone together.

Fourth, get brother out of the picture. Neither are apparently his dogs and he has no business beating them. Beat him if he does it again.

After the obedience classes are over, make sure you keep up the commands at home. When the family is together, put the dogs each on a 'down stay' and make them do it. Neither is realeased until given the ok command.

Practice the NILIF. (Nothing in life is free) They only get rewarded for good behaviour.

They may never like each other, but if obedience trained, they will look to the owners for direction and that is what you want 100% of the time.

I've shown dogs for over 50 years and prefer males, so most of the time I had a great many males (whole males at that) living in the house together. Never had a fight yet. However, ALL were obedience trained. It does make a difference. And lots of exercise each and every day.

Incidentally, my daughter named her Harlequin Farms after our most favourite Harlequin Great Dane. He's been gone now for 32 years, but still missed greatly.

Drumframed.jpg

Good luck.

Lizzie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello hello! I agree with pretty much everything here. It is not that I didnt know what was causing the problems that I posted this vent. It was myself venting about not having everyone on board to fixing them.

Seeing every ones statements does justify what I have been thinking all along though. When I said I didnt have time recently due to work I didnt mean I didnt have any time for Mr. Luke. We still go out and play. I just didnt have time for the long walks that I feel would greatly benefit all of us. It is very true that a tired dog can get into less trouble and a very good philosophy. Its something Ceasar Millan does and I have very much agreed with it.

Back