Varnish Roan Appaloosas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
Our 2007 appy colt is out of a grulla varnish roan snowcap mare and is sired by a black varnish roan near leopard overoloosa.. With him being out of two varnish roan horses, will he more than likely lose the dark color he has to the roaning and go 'white'?

DSCI0035.jpg

DSCI0011-1.jpg

And do you think he will spot out in the white area? He has several dark skinned spots throughout his white area (most are a tad bigger than the size of a pencil eraser) You can see some in the second picture above and then there's this picture:

DSCI0015.jpg

His dad did not have visible spots when he was born but when clipped out as a weanling spots were found and now he is a near leopard (but I think he is actually going to totally leopard out as he keeps getting more and more spots every year and they're now clear up his neck and face)

Sire as a weanling:

skyweanling.jpg

Sire now:

DSCI0050.jpg

Since you don't seem to be getting any replies, I'll jump in here with my two cents worth.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I'd say he'll roan out to white eventually. Most, but not all, of my varnish roans have turned almost totally white in time. Some take years, though. I don't know about his spots. These appies can basically do anything they want with their color!
default_wacko.png
: I had a solid black filly born this year, and when I clipped her, she had blacker spots all over her butt! The hair was a different texture, and is now growing longer than the hair around them. She's also getting lots of white hairs in the hair around the spots, so I figure she'll eventually roan out white around all those black spots. Whatever color your little guy turns out to be in the future, he sure is a cute little feller!
default_smile.png

Melba

[SIZE=18pt]I have no clue, but I love his coloring. I am partial to appy's. My Smarty was born black:He was darker than this picture when he was born.[/SIZE]

babiescd015.jpg

[SIZE=18pt]This was a year old:[/SIZE]

Smarty7-30-05_01.jpg

and now looks like this at 3 years old:

IMG_1469.jpg

Christy

[SIZE=18pt]He's out of a near lepoard Appy sire and a black and white pinto dam.[/SIZE]

Thank you for your comments gals..

Casnos Minis your little one is adorable, love his color and his face!
default_wub.png
: The white on his face looks like an R

Thank you for your comments gals..

Casnos Minis your little one is adorable, love his color and his face!
default_wub.png
: The white on his face looks like an R
[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

Thanks. My daughter thinks it looks liks a frog with it's legs out behind him.

Christy

Last edited by a moderator:
It just depends on what he has inherited as far as Appy patterns, however, snowcaps are noted for roaning anyhow, so he probably will retain his blanket, but roan out also on the rest.

Roan Appies are born solid, and then begin to roan out at various ages (sometimes with various spots coming out too). My mare Melody was born black, but at two starting to roan over her hips, was roan all over by three, but didnt stop changing color for about two or three more years after that. Her filly this year was born solid but already at six weeks old was covered with white hairs coming in and is getting more color all the time.

Latest posts

Back