Value and Selling Price??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whether or not you get your asking price on a horse has to do with how long you are willing to keep him too. If you need to get rid of a horse right away, you would be best off giving him away, especially if you really want a good home for him. But, since you said you would be able to keep him, set his price, and if he sells great, and if not you have another horse to play with in the mean time. You really have to wait for the right person to come along and see the horse as you do. Even then, with the market the way it is, $1000 would probably be the top price, and you might have to wait a long time to get it!

I was only using my yearling perlino pinto colt as an example just to give you an idea on the way the market is. Double registered or single registered- value is still only on what someone will pay and what they are interested in. To me your double reg. colt would be worth more to me than my single reg one as that is what I am into but to someone else who is only into AMHR the AMHA papers may mean nothing to them. That's all I was getting at.. :)

I think from what we can see and hear of him, the price range that's been thrown out here is right on. If you can "spiffy him up" and get some really good pictures, then you may be able to get a better price, same if you can get some show wins on him. But, all of that costs time and money. If you've decided to sell him and given the price range, might be a better use of time to network or look for the right home in other ways.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have a boy that I was thinking about selling. However, in my area you are risking someone putting together a load bound for Mexico. So, I would never, if possible, price anything under $800. A man that lives down the street from me tried to buy him and his question was "without papers and training, what would be his price?". He already had 3 horses to go and he had told me he paid $750 for the colt he had. It seems that $800 is too much for them to pay.

I agree with everyone here saying the market is just not there. I've had my 8 yr old stallion (in avatar) for sale for months. He's under 32" and throws small every time he's bred a mare. He has been shown; drives (has a National title 2008); has HOF points, and is a sweetheart but no takers. So tomorrow he'll be gelded so my grandkids can drive him and show him.

The market is way down. In the common price range mentioned, I bought a yearling show colt, triple registered, excellent pedigree, and already has points in halter and color.

He is used to being handled and a very well mannered in your pocket kinda guy, and that alone is, to me, worth twice what I paid for him. I really don't know how to put a price value on him, but I think he is "worth" much, much more than what I paid.

In my opinion, another thing (at least in my area) that is reflecting in the prices for minis is the guy selling goats and minis out of a trailer on the side of the road. His unregistered, poorly put together, and unkempt minis were $100 less than what I paid for my colt.

I am afraid having a champion in his sire and dam line would (and should) count for next to nothing, especially these days.

A horse can be by and out of the overall supreme national grand champion of the world and still have only one testicle or be infertile, or even just not any good in the show ring.

Show me a horse with a good pedigree, who has done well in the ring for himself and thatis the horse I would give a second look to.

So I think those who say 500-750 dollars have got it about right.

Someone might give a bit more because they wanted his dilute, others might actually dislike it, so that makes it both a selling and a non selling point!

You need to get him in the ring, prove his worth and even get him qualified for Nationals or Worlds and sell him with the "ticket".

That would count for a lot.

well i have to say that i would not geld him, you limit who will buy him. if someone wants him as a gelding they can always do that, but once you geld him, then he is ALWAYS a gelding! So look at it like that.

Then you will have to add the gelding fee to the bottom dollar of what you have in him. I think you said it cost you about 15-20 a month to keep him. I have kept a few fillies over the years to replace some of my older mares, and it cost me much more than that per baby per month , but i feed all they can eat safe choice and Alfalfa hay, and worm them till they are a year old once a month, which makes my yearlings look like most peoples two year olds! but i realize after buying several horses this year that people dont feed and worm like i do! I like my horses well fed and cared for, because they produce better, and feel better when in optimal health. So what i am getting at is, the longer you hold on to him, the more you have in him, dont limit your buyers, and above all, dont get greedy!!! you will live to regret that! Been there done that! take the highest offer, if you are wanting to sell him. If you dont get what you want, look at it like "It wont hurt long, and a couple of glasses of nice semi sweet blush wine always seems to help take the sting out of selling horses!

wow- i have actually been looking for a cremello stallion to use in our breeding program. he is worth what someone will pay... around here , cremello stallions are hard to come by, especially with good lineage. i would definitely pay a fair price for him if he was closer. If someone really wnats the bloodline and the color bad enough, they will pay for it regardless of the economy to better their breeding program, IMO...i would not geld him .
default_yes.gif

by the way mini horse mania, the sound of Lil Hoofbeats galloping across the field was music to my ears too!! Hence my farm name!!!!!!!

Back