Value and Selling Price??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weelovely214

Reaction score
I am considering selling my boy. I have no idea how much to price him around if I decide to. I am fairly new to the minis. Here is some info on him:

Cremello colt with blue eyes. Born July 2010. He is double registered. Measuring right at 28" or a little above right now. He has a perfect bite, straight legs and a very long and thick tail. Nice neck and head. His bloodlines have quite a bit of Samis and Top Banana. His Dam has a cross of Bond and Gold Melody boy lines. He is very proportionate. Nice long legs. He has dropped both testicles.

So, my question is: What is his worth as a stallion prospect? What is his worth as a gelding? I understand the economy is not good. So what is he worth and what is realistic to get out of him? Is he a type that would sell fairly easily or no? Thanks for all that reply!!
default_smile.png

I'll just say this: He'll be worth more as a gelding. A well trained gelding is gold. If your boy is gelded and has a good disposition and is willing to learn then he'll be worth his weight in gold. IMO.

Heck, if you have the time, experience, and resources then keep him, geld him, and train him!

EDIT: And just because he sounds like a little sweetheart, you must post pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics would help but going by your description he may sell better as a stallion and here is my reason why. If you decide to sell him right now he would only be a yearling, next year he will be 2 so the new owners can breed him. He has color, he has the size, he is double registered, and he has the bloodlines.

As a gelding if you want to make some money keep him for a couple of years and train him up, plus the cost of gelding him. Sadly with minis most people look at it like that.

Now if I was looking for a future colt that I wanted as a gelding and I thought he was really something and would do great in driving then maybe I would consider it. But you will have a easier time to sell him as a colt then a gelding.

Pics would help but going by your description he may sell better as a stallion and here is my reason why. If you decide to sell him right now he would only be a yearling, next year he will be 2 so the new owners can breed him. He has color, he has the size, he is double registered, and he has the bloodlines.

As a gelding if you want to make some money keep him for a couple of years and train him up, plus the cost of gelding him. Sadly with minis most people look at it like that.

Now if I was looking for a future colt that I wanted as a gelding and I thought he was really something and would do great in driving then maybe I would consider it. But you will have a easier time to sell him as a colt then a gelding.

Any Idea round about what he may sell for? I live in Ky. I was planning on selling him spring if I do sell him... So he would be a 2yr old Stud Colt. I have seen registered miniatures go anywhere from 200 - 5000+ his age. What exactly makes them worth more? Show experiance maybe?? Im just curious as to what you all might price him at if he were yours..... As a 2yr old Stud or a 2yr old Gelding.

It's VERY hard to say without pictures of him. Straight legs, correct, good bite, etc. dont tell you much about his "type", and that is what the biggest factor will be along with the good conformation.

If he is the really refined type that is showing AMHA right now, and was an amha show prospect, he would sell better as a stallion.

If he is the "performance" build with a more "solid" bone structure, or even the QH, draft, etc. type, he would sell better as a gelding.

I hate to say it, but in the AMHA/AMHR breed, geldings arent super popular. I show geldings, and buy stallions specifically to geld, but I feel like im almost a "rare breed".

If he is more of the "type" that would show 4h, open shows, etc. he would be MUCH easier to sell as a gelding.

Reason being, outside of the AMHA/AMHR breed, "big horse" people all think that its crazy to own a stallion. A lot of people showing 4h or open shows are either big horse people who also have minis, etc.

His bloodlines are good bloodlines, but they aren't whats new and "hot" right now, so honestly, I doubt anyone will consider that a big factor in buying him. Right now the bigger A's, and B horses are whats "in style" in AMHA and AMHR. The little guys are more few and far between. In open shows, I see more of the 32" and under horses, and I feel like im the odd man out with my bigger boys.

For price, sadly, probably $500 or less, unless he has a breed show record, or is a top show prospect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll just say this: He'll be worth more as a gelding. A well trained gelding is gold. If your boy is gelded and has a good disposition and is willing to learn then he'll be worth his weight in gold. IMO.

Heck, if you have the time, experience, and resources then keep him, geld him, and train him!

EDIT: And just because he sounds like a little sweetheart, you must post pictures.

He is definately a sweetheart!! Unfortunately, I have no recent pics of him
default_sad.png
I will post a couple of pics of his daddy though and he is a dead ringer for his dad. Only difference is, my boy is cremello and his dad is Perlino, so my boy is a very light shade, where as, daddy, is a darker creamy look
default_smile.png
But they look Exactly alike.

I have definately considered the idea of gelding him and selling him as a 3 or 4 year old show gelding. He would make an awesome youth gelding. BUT, it will be a while before he will be worth much as a gelding I think. Just because of his age. Hes no trouble at all, but I only have a few minis so the longer I keep him, the more his price will go up until he is priceless ;) So its either sell him next year (if I'm going to) or he probably wont go anywhere unless it was to a forever home.

Squirt\'s Sire.jpg

Whiteout_01.jpg

It's VERY hard to say without pictures of him. Straight legs, correct, good bite, etc. dont tell you much about his "type", and that is what the biggest factor will be along with the good conformation.

If he is the really refined type that is showing AMHA right now, and was an amha show prospect, he would sell better as a stallion.

If he is the "performance" build with a more "solid" bone structure, or even the QH, draft, etc. type, he would sell better as a gelding.

I hate to say it, but in the AMHA/AMHR breed, geldings arent super popular. I show geldings, and buy stallions specifically to geld, but I feel like im almost a "rare breed".

If he is more of the "type" that would show 4h, open shows, etc. he would be MUCH easier to sell as a gelding.

Reason being, outside of the AMHA/AMHR breed, "big horse" people all think that its crazy to own a stallion. A lot of people showing 4h or open shows are either big horse people who also have minis, etc.

His bloodlines are good bloodlines, but they aren't whats new and "hot" right now, so honestly, I doubt anyone will consider that a big factor in buying him. Right now the bigger A's, and B horses are whats "in style" in AMHA and AMHR. The little guys are more few and far between. In open shows, I see more of the 32" and under horses, and I feel like im the odd man out with my bigger boys.

For price, sadly, probably $500 or less, unless he has a breed show record, or is a top show prospect.
He is very refined. Not stocky at all. Probably never will be... Most of all the horses in his pedigree can be "googled" and find that they went Nationals in AMHA. I was afraid he wouldnt be worth much
default_sad.png
Probably more as a proven stud if I were going to sell him as a stallion. Thanks for your input! And for $500 he wont go anywhere ;)

I think the most you could probably make would be $750. I will also say $500 is the more realistic price.

I think he is nice-if you got him conditioned and ready to show, I bet you could sell him for much more than what others have said. You can always get a good price for a show quality horse and I think your boy has potential based on those pictures (it's hard to go by pics sometimes though). A big plus that he is double dilute and double registered. I say keep him a stallion for now and get him in 'show shape'. Take some awesome pictures and maybe go to a show or two.

I guess I just don't agree at all with the others based on info and pics you've posted.

I have a nice(didnt say exceptional) perlino pinto yearling AMHR colt who I have been trying to sell for $350 and I still havent been able to get him sold (not trying to sell him here just using him as an example) The horse market is flooded with horses right now and honestly unless he is really exceptional and has been shown he wont bring much.Not because he isnt worth it but because the market just downright sucks. If you dont wanna sell him for $500 then I guess you should invest in him and show him to up his value more or plan on keeping him.. :) His sire is pretty though..Too bad you dont have pictures of him to show us..

I think he is nice-if you got him conditioned and ready to show, I bet you could sell him for much more than what others have said. You can always get a good price for a show quality horse and I think your boy has potential based on those pictures (it's hard to go by pics sometimes though). A big plus that he is double dilute and double registered. I say keep him a stallion for now and get him in 'show shape'. Take some awesome pictures and maybe go to a show or two.

I guess I just don't agree at all with the others based on info and pics you've posted.
The pictures posted are of his sire, but from what I've seen of the colt on other threads he does look A LOT like him.

I too am surprised by the prices. I think he could bring more, and if I were looking for a great grandson of Gold Melody Boy I would pay more for him. I REALLY like Gold Melody Boy (not the Bond so much) and I like the look of his sire and this colt.

If I were looking for a colt like him I would pay twice as much for him. You guys may call me crazy, but I really like a GMB bred horse. I'd also buy his half sister for that matter too! Lol.

Oh thanks Tremor! That's what I get for skipping around through posts lol. Yes, the market is terrible, but if you have a quality horse and have good pictures (updated!) and a good video and advertise, I stand by what I said-that you can get more than $500-750. Definitely feed him right, get him conditioned, and bring him to some shows. It's the best advertising there is
default_smile.png

What he is worth and what his current value is in this market are two different things. Some fantastic proven show horses and/or produces are selling for next to nothing n this current poor market. If he looks at all like his dad, I would do what a few other suggested and fit him up and get him int he show pen. Being double registered and a double dilute should make his value higher anyway and his daddy is very typey. You have to get great pictures and a video and be ready to do a lot of sales promotion to get him out in front of potential buyers. It only takes one person to fall in love to buy him.

I still stand by the $500, and thats a high estimate for my area. I very recently bought an AMHA/AMHR stallion who is a national top 5 in AMHR and AMHA western regional champion as a weanling. I wont dare say what I paid for him, but If I did, you would gasp. I also have a 11 year old multiple time national champion, reserve national champion, and national top 5 who has his hall of fame in halter, and country pleasure driving. Both horses have awesome bloodlines, my Stallion is heavy bond bred, some martins, and is a son of winners circle kismet. My gelding is one of the very few sons (or foals for that matter) of LTD's Red Cloud, and a grandson of LTD's magic man. Both horses sires are national champions. I paid more for the gelding, but much less than hes worth, and hes trained in driving, halter/jumper, hunter, showmanship, etc.

I guess your best bet would be to look on the sales board. Look at yearling stallions that arent show trained/conditioned and have no show records and go from there.

I agree, this market SUCKS for sellers, but its pretty awesome if your looking to buy. Unless you are a farm that actively shows your horses so has that "advertisement", or is actively showing the horse your trying to sell, your chances of getting much are slim in this economy. My suggestion would be to fit him, and show him AMHA in the spring. I think he would sell better to an AMHA show home because of his size. Not to say there arent those that show the tiny horses in AMHR too, just more in AMHA. Get him out there so people see him.

I also stand by what I said on the $500 - $750 based on what he is right now. Sure price may go up if he is shown and done well. But a unproven, yearling colt, that I can probably say not from a well known farm it would be very hard to sell.

The pictures posted are of his sire, but from what I've seen of the colt on other threads he does look A LOT like him.

I too am surprised by the prices. I think he could bring more, and if I were looking for a great grandson of Gold Melody Boy I would pay more for him. I REALLY like Gold Melody Boy (not the Bond so much) and I like the look of his sire and this colt.

If I were looking for a colt like him I would pay twice as much for him. You guys may call me crazy, but I really like a GMB bred horse. I'd also buy his half sister for that matter too! Lol.
Yes, he does have a lot of Gold Meoldy boy and so does sister
default_smile.png
I guess I will just have to show him some next year. I only live 15 minutes from the Ky Fair when they have that show and the Ky Horse Park is only right at an hour. So maybe I will try to go to those two. I guess he will be in the Junior Stallions 28 - 30" division. I also might put him in color as well as showmanship. I didn't see not one cremello or perlino in color at the Fair Show. It seemed like a small show.

I am very good at advertising horses. I am known for it and im a very good seller if I don't say so myself
default_smile.png
Plus, I am a photographer, so I can get some good pictures of him. Regarding that one AMHR Perlino Pinto colt... Is a horse not worth more double registered? I honestly may be wronged, but I thought having one that was both AMHA and AMHR made them worth quite a bit more? I know horses can be bought and sold cheap always, but I thought the "little things" made them worth more when they work together into one horse. I paid $100 for him so I know and agree horses can always be found for an awesome deal.

Also if his background consists of mostly National show horses? He cant hardly go wrong no matter who he takes after LOL! But definately takes after dad. I will try to get some pictures of him this afternoon. He is a funky yearling right now. Kind of has that grass belly, Still filling out from having lice when I bought him. Plus he LOVES the mud... Sigh, why did I want a white horse? I will also get pics of him this spring when I clip and get into show shape. Thanks everyone!

I don't know what to say on his value. Consider though the monthly cost of keeping your colt. If it costs say $50/month to keep him and you keep him until say May, it would cost you $250 plus any vet, farrier, worming etc expenses. Unless they are exceptional, keeping a horse hoping the value will increase can be expensive in the end! Just my opinion!

Barb

I don't know what to say on his value. Consider though the monthly cost of keeping your colt. If it costs say $50/month to keep him and you keep him until say May, it would cost you $250 plus any vet, farrier, worming etc expenses. Unless they are exceptional, keeping a horse hoping the value will increase can be expensive in the end! Just my opinion!

Barb
Very good point. I hadn't really thought of it like that. His cost per month is more around 15 or 20 bucks though ;)

Barb
bingo!!

I just sold a horse I paid $4500 bucks for.. he has a National show record and is a beautiful gelding. I sold him for $500.. bucks he went to a great home and that was the most important thing. He is being used and loved. HE went to his first 2 shows with them and came home winning grands under every judge - very nice horse but any horse is only worth what someone is willing to pay and long gone are the days when a mini was worth thousands simply due to being a mini or has foals on the ground

Back