UPDATE on the mare I was trying to save

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuGGler_j0e

Reaction score
For those of you who didn't see the first topic on this issue, or who have forgotten, here is the link:

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=82000

Well, my friend/employer started her mare, Jigs, on soaked alfalfa pellets, and she seems to be doing better, although she still has a lot of weight to gain, and she's still dehydrated.
default_sad.png
(I think, due to the fact that her automatic waterer wasn't installed correctly.) She is now getting:

Soaked alfalfa pellets

Soaked beet pulp

Senior feed

and some stuff called Ultima, which is another complete feed of some sort.

It all comes out to aprox. 12 lbs per day, dry. (I used the handy weigh-scale!!) I wish it was more like 18 or 20 lbs though, as 12 lbs dry per day (6 lbs dry per feeding) isn't even 2% of her body weight, and is hardly enough to build anything up with on her. But that's my friend's decision.

Also, it has been confermed that this mare DOES have bad overbite, and BIG hooks on her teeth.
default_frusty.gif
: :new_multi: However, my friend isn't interested in having any of that worked on, which is driving me nuts, :ugh: :ugh: but like someone recently told me, "You can't save the world". Believe me, I'd be making a lot more noise about this if the horse were 20 years younger! :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

Well, that's just about the whole update right there. If you have any questions, just ask and I'll quote you in my reply.
default_smile.png

Believe me, I'd be making a lot more noise about this if the horse were 20 years younger! :new_2gunsfiring_v1:
I realize I am coming in on this issue just now, but....guess I don't understand what her age has to do with it?? Am I missing something?

Your friend is throwing money down the drain without getting her teeth done. She will do much better with the feed and putting on weight with her teeth floated. It doesn't cost THAT much!! She will spend at least that on the feed bill trying to get weight on a horse that just can't chew, not to mention the pain she is probably in with her teeth like that. Bet the inside looks like hamburger!

Your friend is throwing money down the drain without getting her teeth done. She will do much better with the feed and putting on weight with her teeth floated. It doesn't cost THAT much!! She will spend at least that on the feed bill trying to get weight on a horse that just can't chew, not to mention the pain she is probably in with her teeth like that. Bet the inside looks like hamburger!

We rescued a mini 4.5 years ago. His teeth were sooooooooooo long and hooked he "LITERALLY CHEWED THRU HIS CHEEKS AND A PART OF HIS TOUNGE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HGF is correct, she is just throwing a ton of $$$$$$$$$ down the drain. The damage done to his mouth was horendous! :no: :no: :no: We still and always will have this mini. He came from a wonderful show life, we went to look at a mini mare this person had for sale and "bought" him instead. He was tied to a tree in water, was so weak Art had to pick him up and carry him to the trailer and laid him on my lap, I thought for sure I was looking at a dead horse. After a couple weeks at the vet he was well enough to come home..Now mind you he was at the vet for being malnourished and dehydrated he weighed 94 lbs. It then took months of cleaning his mouth (he actually had magots in his mouth) as many times a day as I could to get it to heal. He is fine and healthy now, but it took about 2 years to get him there. Tell your friend she is doing way more harm than good. YOU MUST HEAL FROM THE INSIDE OUT!!! Good luck... I did not mean to go on like this, but it just drives me nuts to hear this..... Theresa

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a tough situation you are in. But everyone is right, if that old horse really does have teeth problems a lot of money is being put into special feeds that could be better used towards filing down some of those points, even if just by a regular vet with a manual file. My old mare does get her teeth worked on regularly, and the last time the equine dentist was out he showed me where the inside of her mouth was a painful mess because of some uneven wearing in there. The inside of her cheek was indeed like hamburger. She was still eating fine but I can't imagine how much that must have hurt!

Poor digestion of expensive food is just throwing money away.

Why are you friend with this person? Why did she bother "helping" if she wasn't REALLY going to help?? It makes no sense. :no:

Believe me, I'd be making a lot more noise about this if the horse were 20 years younger! :new_2gunsfiring_v1:
I realize I am coming in on this issue just now, but....guess I don't understand what her age has to do with it?? Am I missing something?
Well, this mare is 30 years old, and has walked away with some big-time world champ show award like 60 times or something. :aktion033: Basically she's had a good full life, retired, and if she was to be put down now because of this health problem, it wouldn't be a huge loss. If, on the other hand, she was 8 years old, and had the same problem, and the owner was going to have her put down, I would be making a ROYAL scene about it!! :new_shocked: But believe me, I'll still be angry if she does get put down -- because she isn't ready, and I know that for a fact. :no:

Why are you friend with this person? Why did she bother "helping" if she wasn't REALLY going to help?? It makes no sense. :no:
I won't be working for this woman much longer, so there. :no: I'm doing one more job for her while she's out of state, but after that I'm not taking any more money from her. She knows how to ride and show horses well, but apart from that she's actually a bit of a nutcase. (For real!) Horses dying at her farm insn't anything new, I'm sorry to say.
default_thumbdown.gif
:

I beleive that as long as a horse is alive and breathing wether he is 30 or not that he should be cared for teeth and all no matter what. I had an old horse that I knew was going to be put down and I still insisted his feet be done a few days eariler.

Latest posts

Back