Update on Rule Measuring work...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This new measuring at the base of the withers rule is a classic example of putting the cart BEFORE the horse.

According to the flow chart for all proposed rule and bylaw changes, an impact statement is to be done by the AMHA office and submitted to all affected committees BEFORE any proposed rule or bylaw change can be voted on. If an impact study had been done prior to this rule being brought to the Annual Meeting to be voted on, then there would/should be answers to the questions like Mary Lou has.

It would be nice to be able to read the impact statements on this rule, if they exist.

No where on the flow chart does it say that the year AFTER a proposal has been passed and before it goes into effect, is the time to find answers to questions.........

It sure looks like the flow chart was not even followed in this case since it appears that nobody has any answers to any questions.

Nikki

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure Neil first off we can start with the fact that no provisions were made for those honest people that turned in the AMHA papers on horses that were over the 34 inch height limit. Those horses could every easily measure in at the new 34 inch height limit.
I am sure the BOD is aware of this issue as it relates to the rule change. Since the rule does not take effect untill Jan 2009 they have plenty of time to deal with this issue and and make what ever changes need to be made. Please give them time to do their job.

I can think of another issue along this same line that they will need to deal with. I am an approved AMHA Measurer. Will I have to be retrained/approved to know where the new measuring spot is or will they assume that I can find it.

From what I have seen and heard at the meeting while watching online that was not even brought up as any part of the discussion. It seems to me that is a big issue. Why should I have to pay full hardship prices to register a horse who was already registered with AMHA?
Please don't waste time assuming things will happen that may well not happen. Bring these kinds of concerns up with your directors to be sure the are relayed on to the rest of the BOD.

I am sure with any rule change there could be other possible changes that should be dealt with as they come up.

I could go on but I will leave it at that for now so as to not be looked as only being negative rather then stating a justified opinion.
What you have said above is a valid concern. Make sure you voice your concern to your Directors.

Neil,

In reference to your comment, that you advise to "Bring these kind of concerns up with your directors to be sure they are relayed to the rest of the Board." That is exactly what we did with a UPS letter to the president, an email to all 26 U S Directors, and 12 Honorary Directors. We simply asked for a courtesy reply from each director and officer to acknowledge that they had received our letter. Do you really think that is too much for members to ask of the directors?

Below is a list of the questions and concerns that were asked of the President and the directors and officers 19 days ago. We have heard no official reply from anyone in the AMHA with any answers to our questions. The only replies that have been received are about a petition the Board thinks we need to get them to do something.

1. Did the staff review this amendment as required in the flow chart for rule change, for the Economic Impact, Computer Programming Requirements, Office Administration Requirements, and Legal/Liability Implications? Did the Board of Directors review the office staff's impact report and approve it?

2. Was proper notification given to the entire membership of this proposed amendment with clear explanation that it would change the procedure of a thirty year old rule in the way an AMHA Miniature Horse would be measured, and would change the Standard of Perfection? How was this official notification published to each member of the Association?

3. What formal training was given or will be given to the people that will be approved to measure horses at all shows?

4. What type of training or instruction will be given to the AMHA members in order for them to correctly measure their horses at the base of the withers for registration certificates?

5. It seems to be of greatest concern to most members as where to find the actual "spot" exactly where the base of the withers is located. This spot is not visible and can only be felt. There is a great variation in the determining the location of this spot, and will cause many problems and a lot of controversy between exhibitors, trainers, and the people measuring the horses. How do you intend to handle this problem?

6. Was any type of study or research done in measuring a number of horses at the base of the withers as opposed to the last hairs of the mane to determine differences in the height of the horses before the amendment was submitted for a vote? What were the findings? Did the horses measure taller or shorter?

7. Many members trying very hard to find the actual "spot" have already found that the majority of their horses measured at the base of the withers were shorter by a half an inch, and sometimes more, than measurements at the last hairs of the mane. The registration certificates on all permanently registered horses whose measurements differ from their current registration certificate will have to be corrected, as they would be making a false statement about the horse if the papers are not corrected. Will AMHA correct and issue new registration certificates to the owners of these horses at AMHA's expense?

8. What will AMHA do about horses that measured oversized at OVER 34 inches tall at the last hairs of the mane and had their papers revoked, but now will measure 34 inches tall or less at the base of the withers? Will these horses be allowed to be reinstated? Will they have to pay a reinstatement fee?

9. Knowing that a bylaw amendment has been presented to be voted on at the 2009 Annual Meeting to change the measuring point for an AMHA Miniature Horse to the top of the withers, what will AMHA do if this amendment is passed? Will any reinstatement fees paid be refunded to the owners of the horses who then have their registration revoked again?

10. Will horses that are hardshipped measuring 34 inches or less after the base of the withers bylaw is implemented be remeasured at the top of the withers should that amendment pass next year? Will their hardshipped fees be refunded, and their registration certificates be revoked, if they measure over 34 inches tall?

11. What will the impact be to the Association in their efforts to develop an International market for AMHA horses now if they are measured at the base of the withers? This was discussed at the meeting by Wayne Hipsley, AMHA facilitator, who stated that when he and the President recently spent three weeks traveling in International countries, the most important request they were given was to measure AMHA horses at the top of the withers. Will AMHA continue to spend money trying to develop an International market now?

12. What impact will the new amendment have on the integrity of the AMHA and the credibility of the registry when, because there is strong member support for using the worldwide, top-of-the-withers standard, it is very possible that the point of measurement may(again?) be changed from one point to another within the next few years? What then? We believe that most AMHA members do not feel that a foundation cornerstone of their organization should be changed, unless for the most compelling of reasons. This change appears to be looking to find a way to 'just be different', or to in fact allow taller horses into the Association while maintaining a pretense that the Standard has in no way been altered.

13. What impact will its implementation have on the acceptance of AMHA within the wider horse world/market, at a time when AMHA is stating that it is moving to become a 'breed' registry, not simply a height registry?

14. Most importantly, will AMHA enforce the rules and bylaws of the Association and revoke papers on horses that do not meet the requirements of an AMHA horse as 34 inches tall or less?

We have many more concerns and questions we would like to have addressed, therefore we submit the names of AMHA members that would like to volunteer to serve on any committees the Board should form to study the new bylaw amendment.

Let me explain about the petition so hopefully everyone will understand...

Article 6, Section 4 (E) Special Measures states, "Proposals to amend a Bylaw: amend the Articles of Incorporation, or disolve the corporation may be proposed at the Annual Meeting and voted on at the next Annual Meeting. Proposals to amend a Bylaw, amend the Articles of Incorporation or dissolve the corporation may be made by a petition signed by at least five (5) percent of the voting members as of the April 1st preceeding the meeting, or by a majority of the Board of Directors and notice of such proposals shall be published in the Miniature Horse World or by mail to all members at least sixty (60) days prior to the next Annual Meeting, etc"

Since we had a very short time to gather signatures we decided this bylaw was NOT the one to use, because the Board could come back to us and say your petition doesn't have enough signatures for us to act on your request. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THE BOARD HAS DONE.

The board could have looked at the 238 signatures on the petition and said, "With this many of our members unhappy over this new base of the withers rule, we should take a vote and if the majority of the directors agree, we can put a bylaw amendment forward to allow a vote for measuring to remain at the last hairs of the mane." A majority vote of the Directors has the power to do this in Article VI, Section 4 (E).

We decided NOT to use Article VI, because we could not gather the 438 signatures necessary for a petition in such a short time. We decided instead to use bylaw Article V, Section 3, Powers of the Board which states, "The Board of Directors shall have the power and authority to make, amend REPEAL, and enforce such rules and regulations, not contrary to law, the Articles of Incorporation or these Bylaws as they may deem expedient and necessary concerning the conduct, management and activites of the Association, etc "

Our request in the letter was to ask the Board to use the power given to them in the bylaws to REPEAL the base of the withers rule passed at the 2008 Annual Meeting. If the Board should choose not to repeal the bylaw, we asked that they handle this new bylaw change in the same manner that they have set a precedent for regarding another matter. (which was pointed out to them in detail)

In using bylaw Article V, for our request, there was no need for an official petition with 5 percent of the membership signatures. We knew they would have to make some decision to either grant us our request, or deny our request. The 238 signatures on the petition was to show the Board how many members requested a repeal of the new base of the withers measuring rule. However, it is evident that the Board did not understand our request, because both replies from the president have mentioned the petition, without the needed signatures, and that AMHA has no provisions for an electronic vote.

So Neil, what more would you advise us to do? Do you think we have done anything wrong? We are simply a group of members waiting for a response and answers to our questions from the Board. It has been 19 days today and still no answers.

So we wait, and wanted to update everyone that signed the petition in support to know what is happening.
default_yes.gif

I have written this post here on behalf of myself, as well as Diane Wolcott and Margaret Cox-Townsend

It bothers me that there is so much stonewalling going on with this issue. Perhaps you didn't have enough votes on such short notice (and it most certainly was) to do the first type of rule change but i would say 230 something members that are upset and want to see a change SHOULD be enough to make these boardmembers and such set up and take notice and start to rethink this issue. i think that perhaps some new rules should be made about such a small number of people being able to enact them to begin with.

Whole thing wreaks and i don't think AMHA relises how many of their people they are upsetting and just might leave them. Not a good business move to not listen to your membership or even pretend to listen to them!!

It bothers me that there is so much stonewalling going on with this issue. Perhaps you didn't have enough votes on such short notice (and it most certainly was) to do the first type of rule change but i would say 230 something members that are upset and want to see a change SHOULD be enough to make these boardmembers and such set up and take notice and start to rethink this issue. i think that perhaps some new rules should be made about such a small number of people being able to enact them to begin with.

Whole thing wreaks and i don't think AMHA relises how many of their people they are upsetting and just might leave them. Not a good business move to not listen to your membership or even pretend to listen to them!!
Exactaly!

Do they realize how unprofessional they are being? Apparently not.

I am posting a copy of the "Flow Chart" here, that I and others have been referring to. This shows the steps that are supposed to be followed when a rule change proposal is submitted. This is in the 2008 AMHA Rule Book. I personally feel that the Flow Chart that is supposed to be used was NOT used, or we would not now be faced with all of these unanswered questions.

amhaflowchart.jpg

I also wanted to say thank you to those that have been emailing and sending PMs of support to us for our efforts throughout all of this. Unfortunately, the real sad thing is, we are hearing time and time again, how they are in support of what we are doing, yet are too scared to sign the petition, because they fear they will be "black-balled" by their peers, show management, and the association. I personally feel that it is pretty sad when people must feel so threatened by wrong doings to them, that they cannot even express their true feelings in public without being made to feel ashamed of what they believe in.
default_no.gif

Again, I cannot express strongly enough, my sincere grattitude to all of you that have been so supportive of our efforts!
default_cheekkiss.gif
You are the best
default_firstprize.gif
and you are what keeps us going! THANK YOU!!!
default_thumbup.gif

I have real concerns about the directorship of AMHA from the response you got.

These people run an organization with a budget of $2.5 million each year of MEMBERSHIP money. Yet if I understand what you said, you heard from members afraid to sign due to repercussions (Real or percieved on their part to be real). That is just sad. MEMBERS of AMHA support this organization and should never feel that way, EVER.

This change passed affects a BYLAW of the organization, therefore affects every single member. The effects of this change should NEVER be worked out AFTER the fact. It should have had a clear proposal presented at the time to show the impact of the change. I really don't give a rat's tail where we measure but the lack of planning is only being re-enforced by the powers that be in their lack of response to the letter. I am sorry, I can't buy the excuse "they are working on it". The bottom line is for me, they should not be "working on it" AFTER the fact....it should have been worked on BEFORE the fact and presented for everyone to see at the convention.

Mona, please don't give up. This is beginning to be a very eye-opening experience for a lot of folks.

I agree suzie. very concerning! I dont' feel they are handling this very well at all.

I am so sorry Neil, it was late last night and I just wanted to quickly quote you before you change what you wrote.. I did not do the roll-eyes to make any fun of you..
Mary Lou, thank you for responding to me. It escapes me why you might have thought that I might change what I wrote but it doesn't matter since I can't see why I might have deleted or changed any of what I wrote.

I understand your concern and will talk to you offline via email. I would rather not drag out this "me too AMHA bashing" justtified or not. There are also some other good postings that follow that I will attempt to respond to personally as time permits this weekend. Postings from Mona and Nikki come to mind but I will look to see if there are more.

Thank you for responding.

Bumping up--with the comment that there is no need for serious, honest, and straightforward responses to the presentation of information which is itself serious, honest, and straightforward, to be labeled 'bashing'. No one with a thoughtful comment need be intimidated away from comment by such a random 'label' from another poster.

Margo

I don't see any bashing. I don't think it is expecting to much for anyone in receipt of the letter . All that was asked of them was to acknowledge receipt by simply sending an email or letter saying thanks I got the email and copy of signatures.

It is just plain and simple common courtesy.

lol i saw that too and thought it funny because of the "issues" surrounding heights right now. pretty rediculous..LOL

Can you imagine this going on....
I just saw an ad here on LB, and look what was showing in promotion of the sale:

Taylor has his own I.R.A. --

I - International height (Measured at the top of the withers) - 34"

R - AMHR height (measured at the last hair of the mane) - 33"

A - AMHA height (measured at the notch of the withers) - 32.5"

Can you imagine all of us having to do this with every horse we hope to sell or register??? I can't wait for the questions....

"Excuse me, Ms. Breeder, how tall is your horse for sale?"

Well, it depends......"

:DOH!

That is so true. I asked the same question on a thread way back and was told that it happens every day in AMHR/Shetlands and to "deal with it and part of my job was to educate the buyer". But you stated the obvious much more clearly than I did. When all I got was smart-butt replies, I just removed the thread. My problem is how can I educate the buyer when as the seller, I don't understand the rationale behind it either?

But I still do not know how to not act stupid in selling and measuring my horses. I have one buyer coming today to pick up a colt. I would say he will measure between 29.5 to 30.25 depending on what registry. I hope they don't look at me like I can't read a ruler when they leave.

I like that acronym though. Perhaps I will start using it on my health records.

WOW! I've just read all these pages here. I've been so consumed the last two months with things happening here at home with my family, that I had no idea the full extent of what all this has evolved into. What an eye opener! I've never been involved in the "politics" of either registry, but so thankful to those of you who are dedicated in taking the bull by the horns at times when needed.

Gosh, this sure has me wondering about my mare now too. All her life "I" have always assumed she was a "B" mare, and have her registered as such. Only recently have I learned that I could have measured her wrong myself, all those years ago. However, I am definately going to have her "officially" measured by our AMHA Area Director in a couple weeks at her first show. It's an AMHR show, so no matter how she measures, she'll still be ok to show there. But, I hope they can measure her the "OLD" way that I am most familiar with, just so I can know for myself if I really was "off" or not, and ALSO, I'd like her to be measured in this "new" way, as because now I am very curious of any variance, if any. This all has my head spinning now.
default_wacko.png
So, hopefully, once I get her "officially" measured, I can at least resolve "her" height status, one way or the other.

As for the issue itself, from a political perspective, I'm still unsure of how to feel. I hope to speak with our Director though at the next show, and hope to learn more about both sides of this, just to know how to feel about this for myself.

THanks so much for this thread. WOW!
default_unsure.png

I'm reminded by SWA of what I saw at the schooling show last month in McMinnville. There was apparently a discussion on this subject (I couldn't hear it, despite being right there, because of my poor hearing) between a girl and her mother or trainer or whatnot. She tried to show her mother/trainer the spot they'd now be measuring at... and ended up searching for it and then sort of guessing where it was!

If it can't easily be found then... really, it's NOT doing the mini world much good, is it? From a non-owner, this is really confusing. Especially when you come over from big horses- since they pretty much all have ONE standard of measuring. Then you come over to the mini side and each group has their own way... and none seem to be all that definitive! Hairs can be trimmed, accidentally pulled out or lost... and a notch is... kinda subjective, isn't it?
default_new_shocked.gif

This new measuring thing hasn't made sense to me from the beginning. But I am not an owner nor member of any registries. I feel sorry for anyone who is, and more so anyone who's selling- having to measure different ways for different groups and then explain why to potential customers is a lot more work and effort.

It is us who owe you all the Thanks! You are all working so hard to represent us.

Thank you for standing up and being our voice.

I have been away and am just catching up on my reading..

As I see things, the directors are suppose to be the voice of the people they represent not the voice of the

AMHA bod. If they read the attached list of people wanting this by-law rescinded they will find a good number

of people in their area on the list.. Trying to fix this by-law after it takes effect is not the answer.. It will be much hard to make it go away after it takes effect than it will before this happens.. We all know this was

passed to squeak slightly larger horses into the AMHA and in do so changed the Standard of Perfection.

This is the thing that really bothers me..

Latest posts

Back