Update on my mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
She took my breath away the first time I saw her 23 years ago. She was this bright copper sorrel filly, just two months old, and I fell in love with her right away. I would visit her on weekends until she was old enough to be weaned, and we'd play games of tag out in the pasture. When I could finally bring her home, we spent hours and hours together. She was smart as a whip and learned everything so quickly. My biggest challenge with her always was keeping HER challenged. She came with me when I moved out to B.C., where we went on trail rides in the mountains, took riding lessons together, took part in a musical drill team thing, competed in shows, and she gave birth to the first of four foals. When my husband and I got married, he rode her and I rode that filly who was three by then. My daughter learned to ride on her, and my heart swelled with pride.

She took my breath away all those years ago, and continued to do it every day of her life. Today, though, we took her breath away. My dear old Brat was laid to rest this morning. I was away and my friend was looking after the animals in our absence. She was well aware of the situation. When she arrived to do morning chores, she found the Brat down in her stall and unable to get up, even onto her sternum. She called the vet immediately, who said he would come but was recommending euthanasia, and then called me. I had to give the go ahead. I couldn't let her suffer. She looks so peaceful lying there in her stall, and looks like she'll get right up when she hears my voice, but she doesn't.... she never will.

She took my breath away, and the biggest piece of my heart that any animal ever had.

:no: Im Sorry Judy. This must be Terrible for you

I am so sorry. ((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))) I'll say a prayer for you both.

Ginny

Ohhhh I am soooo very sorry for your loss. Sounds like she was that one in a million equine companion.

So sorry to hear about your loss. She will always be with you in your heart and watching down on you. She's up and running now.. You will be in my thoughts.

I'm so sorry for your loss Judy
default_sad.png

I'm sitting here crying. I'm so sorry!
default_crybaby.gif
:

What a lucky girl she was to have you and how lucky you were to have her! She sounds like a most special mare. She will be with you forever in your memories and heart. {{{Hugs}}}

Sunny

I am so sorry for your loss. Was the Vet able to find what was wrong with her?

I am just so sorry, she is playing and running free just over that rainbow bridge

in Heaven she waits for her loving family. She will always be watching you and

your family, and will always be in your hearts.

Vicky

Again Judy,

I am so sorry that the Brat has left you. But as you said in your post, she has taken your breath away so many times, and I'm sure she's given you your breath just as many times.

Hugs my friend, I am sad today for you. We miss you here to give you a hug.

The Macleods

Willowood Stables

Judy,

You wrote a lovely tribute for your special friend. Take care.......

MA

Aww...Judy I am so sorry. I know that even a good many years is never enough with ones like those.

Please know my thoughts are with you and I wish you all the peace and comfort you deserve, knowing you did what was best and right for your little Brat.

Liz M.

I'm so sorry for your loss. But I'm so glad you had 23 good years with your "Brat". There aren't many people that can say they've had a horse through all the stages of it's life and you've gotten to experience that with your mare.

She sounded a wonderful and memorable horse, sorry to hear of her loss.

<<We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle easily and often breached.

Unable to accept its awful gaps we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan>>

Latest posts

Back