Update: Miss Moonpie ****4/24 Baby Is Here!!!****

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea Anna the poor guy just has had the worst of luck. I bought him for my niece to train in hunter jumper because when I first saw him he was all legs. Now we are just hoping that he gets healthy and stays that way. The only thing I can say is him having been sick has made him an extremely mellow horse. You can do anything with or to him. It's funny we offer him treats and and will not eat them. You offer him a peptol tablet and he gobbles it up like candy. He doesn't like treats, but likes medicine.

As far as moonpie I am with you. I think I still have a while yet to go, but I hope it isn't going to be too long. We are already starting to have cold weather, and I don't want it to be too cold. Just more to worry about. I wrap her tail to get her accustomed to it. I actually took it out after taking the pictures and putting her back in the stall. it also helps keep debris out of her tail when she is in the pasture. A lot of prickly bushes and stuff to get stuck in there. We usually only bushhog it twice in spring and summer but we have had so much rain this year that it's growing wild.

Poor guy -- he looks like he's doing well for you. Hope he just gets better and better for you.

LOVE the pictures! I had a mare with a "decoration" on her side, too. It was so "neat" to look at.

This was Candee. She wasn't just going for a state, she wanted the whole USA!!

Candee 1.jpg

Hello Ladies,

Sorry I fell of the earth. It is been a long time an I apologize for the absence. So with an update on miss moonpie, turns out I was completely wrong. She was nowhere near as far along as originally thought. All we can guess is she was so malnourished that when she put on the weight fast and having known she was exposed to a stud we just assumed....plus with her bag filling and shrinking, it was all so confusing, and me being a newbie didn't help. THe good news, moonpie is pregnant. I have actually started the baby watch tonight. This time there are more signs, her vulva is very pink, she is bagging but not heavy, she dropped earlier today.Oh and I will post pictures of her tomorrow if we don't have a baby tonight but she is huge. I didnt think she could get any bigger than she was but the poor girls enormous. A lovely enormous but I don't know how she manages to stand. And so lopsided, looks painful. Again, sorry I have kept you all in wonder, but I am back and will be keeping regular updates.

Hey Welcome (or welcome back I should say)

Cant wait to see some pics
default_yes.gif

Great to hear from you again - keep us posted. Good luck!

So glad you're back!

If she's still really lopsided, baby may have dropped but not lined up into position. Think of baby as 'lining' up with his/her spine the same as momma's. When this happens, usually the tummy sides will become flat-sided, and all should be good to go!

Can't wait for pictures!

Okay, only got a few pictures this morning and some didn't turn out so going to post the ones that are decent.I will take some more before the day is out. I watched her off and on most of the night, she was yawning a lot and wagging her back end and doing what looked like trying to pee but she never did. No lying down. Hopefully we'll have a baby soon for real this time lol.

Other news on my homefront. I have my vet coming out in a few weeks to do a blood test on my racking mare who I think may be bred. The only issue there is the only stud she was every exposed to was my mini stud. He is 32-33 inches tall and she is a little under 14 hands, I don't see how that could be possible. Any one ever heard of or experienced something like this? I will put pictures of her up later as well.

CAM00619.jpg

CAM00620.jpg

Oh yes! Where there is a will there's a way. I've often bred very tiny stallions to tall mares. I even had one mare who would actually squat down to reach the stallion's 'target' zone for him!

Will be interesting to see what the vet says! LOL

Oh yes! Where there is a will there's a way. I've often bred very tiny stallions to tall mares. I even had one mare who would actually squat down to reach the stallion's 'target' zone for him!

Will be interesting to see what the vet says!
well castlerock, the lst time she cam into season was August and she was very receptive to our little guys advances. I actually made a comment to my mom that is she squatted any lower or he got her on a downhill slope,9 we have a very hilly pasture), that he would get her. I asked her if I needed to take him out until she was out of season but she said not to worry about it he was too small to accomplish anything.

More pictures of moonpie today, the ones of her bag aren't great because she is so fuzzy it is hard to get to them. I am also putting some pictures of my racking mare. She was dodging me a bit. Hiding around my new gelding mini Zeus. She doesn't look pregnant really but thinking maybe because she lost weight on her regular feed regiment, which I thought was strange. I have since started feeding her like a pergnant mare and she is putting the weight back on. She would be around 7 months if bred. And then I am adding pictures of another new addition. He is a chestnut egyptian arabian 2 year old colt. He still needs weight, was a sort of rescue. ( Previous owner won him in a raffle and didn't really know how to take care of a young horse).

Oh, and moonpie has not eaten any of her hay or feed this morning.

CAM00634.jpg

CAM00635.jpg

CAM00627.jpg

CAM00629.jpg

CAM00631.jpg

CAM00636.jpg

CAM00638.jpg

CAM00641.jpg

CAM00623.jpg

CAM00624.jpg

Moonpie certainly looks very close, so yes I think you should be parked right alongside her overnight from now on! Sorry cant really tell if your other mare is pregnant from the picture, but I have had a 13.2 successfully impregnate a 16.3, so as far as I'm concerned anything is possible. LOL!!

Like the look of your new boy, poor little chap, still he will soon improve under your care - good luck with him.

Well Moonpie is stalled for the evening. I checked her bagging, slowly progressing, felt just a bit fuller than earlier today, no waxing. I almost get a kick, literally, every time I check. She isn't too happy with all this attention right now. I did notice when I checked the color in her vulva that she has darker pink splotches inside, that's new. She seems more streamlined as well, still bulgy on the sides but her belly doesn't look as low anymore. There was about 1/4 of her feed remaining and most of the hay, and I am not even sure if she did the eating of feed because I caught my billy goat over in the corral paying her a visit.

Moonpie looks very close, as Anna said. It appears from the top view, that baby is lining up -- spine matching spine -- so watching her close now is very important. Praying for a happy and uneventful foaling !!

Good day all, no baby last night..Took more pictures of moonpie for you all to review. To me she is looking thinner. Her bag is still slowly progressing and it is firm to the touch. She was very eager to get out into the paddock, and her appetite has returned in full force. I am hoping that in the next few days we will see more progress, or a baby lol. Oh and I did the nail test, and from what I could tell it says filly( I am so hoping for a filly).

CAM00654.jpg

CAM00653.jpg

CAM00648.jpg

CAM00647.jpg

CAM00649.jpg

CAM00650.jpg

CAM00651.jpg

Looks as though she's getting really close - have you got anyone who can help you do the night watches so that you can get the odd snooze and not get too tired?

Good luck - safe foaling!

Latest posts

Back