Update: Miss Moonpie ****4/24 Baby Is Here!!!****

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice boy! Appaloosas are my favorites, as you might have guessed. We'll just watch Moonpie and see how she "grows". Hard to tell, but the pictures always help.

Speaking of pictures.....how about another one of the fabulous baby!

Well not sure if Moonpie is trying to play with my emotions but when I went to check/feed her this morning her bag has swollen to double the size it was a week ago. It looks painful and is hot and very firm to the touch. I didn't mess with it too much as she is still irritable. Will put pictures up as soon as she is finished eating.

A question about her eating habits. I just find this odd. For the past few days when she eats she has been chewing all her food and spitting it out until it's a powdery mush. She ends up eating it all but I have never had her take her time or display this weird act. I have observed the same kind of action when she is eating her hay too. Chewing it up and then spitting it out.

I would have her teeth checked to see if they need floating......or she enjoys eating mush!

Very exciting news about her changes. Keep us posted!!

Nice boy! Appaloosas are my favorites, as you might have guessed. We'll just watch Moonpie and see how she "grows". Hard to tell, but the pictures always help.

Speaking of pictures.....how about another one of the fabulous baby!
Thank you! I think he is just a doll, and I love blue roans. I had heard that a stud could be a handful but he doesn't act "studdy" at all. My children get him out and groom and bathe and crawl all over him and he just soaks the attention up. The smaller ones even ride him in our round pen and you would never think he is a stud. My sister has a full sized appaloosa that looks just like him. We tease and call him Junior. Your appaloosa's are beautiful, I have looked at your website and checked them out.

I will posting new pics of moonpie here shortly, her bag has made some extreme development.

Just wanted to add these, they are some comparisons of the changes starting from the 11th to today. Don't know why I didn't take pictures on the 12th. I am now realizing I need to be more consistent with the angles I take of her.

sideviews.jpgbag2.jpgvulva.jpg

You've REALLY have gotten the hang of the pictures! And she's definitely making changes and very fast!

Hmm, I don't understand this pregnant mare stuff. Her bag is already back to looking like it was yesterday. Is that normal. I turned her out in the pasture for 2 hours and just went to put her back in and we are shrunk again. I am starting to wonder if I have been fooled and that this may be a phantom.

It is VERY common for an udder the "shrink" with exercise. Perfectly normal. The telltale sign will be when it stays "up" all day long -- even with exercise. So, she's giving you a breather, not to worry.
default_yes.gif

Well not sure if it means too much but one, we have clear liquid coming from both teats(getting test strips tomorrow), two she is really agitated tonight. Usually I can go in with her laying down and she doesn't give me a second thought. I can even go in and she just lays there and I can love all over her. Tonight I have checked on her 3 times so far and each time I walked up she was laying down and the moment she heard me she jumps up. She also did not finish dinner tonight, probably ate half, hard to tell what was left was all mush.

Hi I thought I would stop by and say hi! I love your girl! She is beautiful and you did a amazing job getting her back in shape!!! I hope you have a safe foaling!

Also how many days do you think she is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also how many days do you think she is?
We only have an estimation but we are thinking now somewhere around 320-330. The vet gave us the estimation.

Allure, she is doing well, her bag is still swelling shrinking. It seems to be following a pattern. It will be swollen in the AM and then shrink by late afternoon, stay smaller for roughly two days and then shrink again. It seems to swell back larger each time. I have pictures, but my dog chewed up my camera cord to hook to computer so got to pick up another one. I will update hopefully tomorrow with pictures for the last few days. I am thinking we may have a month or longer left, but still checking on her often. I am trying to work out if I can hook up a cam in the barn. I can only have satelite internet where I am so not sure if it would broadcast.

Naughty dog, doesn't he/she know that the Aunties need regular pictures?? LOL!!

I very much doubt that you will have to wait another month to see this little baby - cant wait for those up to date pics.
default_yes.gif

We only have an estimation but we are thinking now somewhere around 320-330. The vet gave us the estimation.

Allure, she is doing well, her bag is still swelling shrinking. It seems to be following a pattern. It will be swollen in the AM and then shrink by late afternoon, stay smaller for roughly two days and then shrink again. It seems to swell back larger each time. I have pictures, but my dog chewed up my camera cord to hook to computer so got to pick up another one. I will update hopefully tomorrow with pictures for the last few days. I am thinking we may have a month or longer left, but still checking on her often. I am trying to work out if I can hook up a cam in the barn. I can only have satelite internet where I am so not sure if it would broadcast.
Can you take the card out of the camera and load the photos on the computer that way?

Okay, finally got another cord today and took new pictures today.Not going to back track unless you guys think it is necessary. Her bag is shrunk back down but is it me or does her belly look dropped some. Oh and the pictures where taken after trying to catch her for 30 min, the food brib did not work. Had to wear her down until she just gave up.

130820_0001.jpg130820_0002.jpg130820_0003.jpg130820_0004.jpg130820_0005.jpg130820_0007.jpg130820_0009.jpg

Oh and I wanted to share pictures of my sweet yearling APHA colt. His name is Romeo. I bought him at 6 months, and discovered at 7 months that he had a major parasite infection. Apparently he had never been wormed and when we wormed him it caused a flush of all adults and then a hatch of all the eggs in his system. We almost lost him, but we are a determined bunch and he seems to have a lot of will. Then he got ringworm (ugh), and rain rot on his legs. Poor guy is finally fit enough to be turned back out in the big pasture, only during midday when it is dry, and has finally put most the weight back on. He has some unusual roan markings that we are curious to see if the grow bolder or fade away, so far they have only become larger. Oh and it looks like he has texas on one side.

130816_0016.jpg130816_0015.jpg

Oh poor boy, he has had a hard time of it, hopefully things will start to improve from now on, bless him - love his markings with his Texas map!!

Moonpie's three steps forward, two steps back is quite normal for a lot of mares - just extremely annoying for us! LOL!! From the latest pics it does look as though she has a little while to go yet, but with her history you just never know!

May I ask why you have her tail wrapped? Normally there is no need to wrap tails until a mare actually goes into labour - actually we never wrap tails at all, just sweeping them to one side as we assist in the birth, but I do know a lot of folks do wrap/bandage tails at that late stage.

Latest posts

Back