UPDATE : Mare with retained placenta after losing foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Sera

Reaction score
from a little place in the South to Mid Michigan
Well ... my poor girl is in good hands but at the Vet hospital. That placenta just does not want to come loose. This morning her temp was 105.1 and she was just miserable with nothing to show for her efforts. No manure in the stall either. Called the vet, he said give her the next oxy shot, banamine and penicillin and get in.

They fixed a big bucket of saline and flushed her .... started an IV, more oxy, he went in and did get ahold of a section of the placenta and tied a piece of hay twine on it and weighted it down with a wet towel. We stood there with the IV drip to see if we could get any more to detach... we got about 3 inches. At that point he started running IV fluids to her and we got her comfy in a stall and she layed down and worked on pushing again. He said he would keep her hydrated and tube feed her if he had to until she felt better and was eating more on her own. They would also take her out to graze and give her some hay as she would tolerate. OH MAN .... I hated to leave her there but they are great and I knew she was in good hands.

My vet just called and said she had passed about 6 more inches of placenta, they took her out and she grazed on some grass and ate a little hay and he did get some fluids in via a tube, soooooooooo

now all we need to do is pray that darn placenta will let loose!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers everyone!

Sounds like your vet is on top of it and making good progress! I'll be praying for your mare!
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
:pray

IMG_3306.JPG

Here is a pic I took of her two days before she lost her foal Monday. She's a little porker anyway, but sweet as can be. She was watching her buddies run around and play in the other pasture. I call her "UNI" She is 5 yrs. old, 31" and minimal tobiano.

not sure but when my mare lost her foal the other day, my vet had her the same oxy and pen, BUT NO BANIMENE. He said that would be bad to have her on it and to defenly not give it cause it made her contract and not let her uterius settle down and bound her poo up too. I also had my mare on 1cc of oxy every 1/2 hr for 4 hrs as the plecentia wouldnt move. After 4 hrs, do 2cc instead. Soon as I did the 2nd shot of 2cc, it came right out. I had to wait 48hrs to give her banimene. Now its been 5 days (Wed) since her ordeal and she seams to be coming along nicely. Not sure if any of this info helps but figured I would tell ya anyway... Oh I hope your lil mare pulls through and gets well soon... I have my fingers crossed for ya since I totally know what ur going through! Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am wishing your mare a quick recovery! Poor girl-but sounds like she is on the right track now.

Poor girl
default_sad.png
It IS coming out, but slowly. I'll send her more prayers!

default_pray.gif
I too am praying that this nightmare ends soon and that your mare can come home.
default_pray.gif

Sending prayers that your mare recovers and is well. This is a scary spot to be in. Hugs to you.

Went to visit my girl this morning after knee therapy. She was flushed this morning again and when I got there she had just passed a large portion of the placenta as it and the towel were laying on the ground in the paddock where she was resting. There may be a portion still missing but she will be flushed and examined again this afternoon. My vet said he will be able to feel a tag or anything left over in there if it tore off. No fever this morning, she ate a mash last night they made for her and she has been slowly grazing and munching hay. Of course, all the oxytocin cramps her up and she feels like crap but it appears that she is getting better and she was glad to see me, and I her!

The office manager wants a mini for her office now! These vets see alot of thoroughbreds off the track and their barn is full of those big guys re-cooping from surgeries, etc. ... so my little girl really gets the attention. They love the mini's!

I am glad to hear she is better, always hard to loose a foal , but much harder when you loose a mare, hoping things continue to progress well

Glad to hear she is better. I feel so bad for you. Any of us can have a run of bad luck. I am curious as to what city the vet is in that you are using since it may be closer to where I travel to sometimes.

Vickie ... Red River Equine Hospital in Benton, on Hwy 3 .... They even have a pic of a mini with their vet tech on their website. They are two brothers that have the place together and they are awesome. I didn't know about them until about a year and 1/2 ago when another vet I was using sent me over there because he didn't have a scope small enough for a weanling with upper respiratory issues. I've been going there ever since!

Sounds like she's on the road to recovery! Pretty mare. So sorry you lost the foal.
default_no.gif

Thanks again for all the encouraging words! You just never know ... one day I'm anxiously awaiting the birth and then this! I always knew not to take the birth of a healthy foal for granted but this sure drives it home!

Talked to the hospital this morning, she is doing good, they will continue to lavage a few more times and treat her with meds. They want to make sure she is clear as it looked like there was a tear at the end of the horn that was expelled yesterday . The concern is laminitis or uterine infection.

CHECK THOSE PLACENTAS and make sure the entire thing has been expelled.

My mare, of course, aborted at 276 days and this was not a regular delivery. The vet had to pull the foal. They can retain placenta anytime, for any number of reasons which may be unknown. I will not be re-breeding this mare ....my choice. She's been through enough and doesn't need to be a broodmare.

You are such a good mini mom! I'm glad to hear your mare is recovering and hope to hear that she is fully recovered and home soon!

Latest posts

Back