UPDATE : Mare with retained placenta after losing foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vickie ... Red River Equine Hospital in Benton, on Hwy 3 .... They even have a pic of a mini with their vet tech on their website. They are two brothers that have the place together and they are awesome. I didn't know about them until about a year and 1/2 ago when another vet I was using sent me over there because he didn't have a scope small enough for a weanling with upper respiratory issues. I've been going there ever since!
Thanks, it is good to have a list of "back-ups."

Thanks again for all the encouraging words! You just never know ... one day I'm anxiously awaiting the birth and then this! I always knew not to take the birth of a healthy foal for granted but this sure drives it home!

Talked to the hospital this morning, she is doing good, they will continue to lavage a few more times and treat her with meds. They want to make sure she is clear as it looked like there was a tear at the end of the horn that was expelled yesterday . The concern is laminitis or uterine infection.

CHECK THOSE PLACENTAS and make sure the entire thing has been expelled.

My mare, of course, aborted at 276 days and this was not a regular delivery. The vet had to pull the foal. They can retain placenta anytime, for any number of reasons which may be unknown. I will not be re-breeding this mare ....my choice. She's been through enough and doesn't need to be a broodmare.
My little mare Serenade is no longer considered a broodmare either. She is the one that rode in a car back in 2008 to get a c-section to save her life. That little angel colt was my reality check. Then upon advise from the vet she was bred again. I took the time and expense to haul her south for a breeding to a 26" stallion and then go get her the next week. Almost absolutely certain she aborted a few months later. Suspect she got re-bred accidentally to my stallion and lost yet another baby. She is for sure "pet quality" although she is the first one that everyone oohs and ahhhs over. I cannot tell you how many people have stopped to just inquire about buying her "for the grandkids". I am sorry but she is not going to somebody's backyard or a trailer park or to be ridden by kids that outgrow her. When she goes (and no doubt she will) it will be to her calling in life and I will recognize that the home is suitable. I picture her as a therapy horse since she is so comfy just strolling through our familiy room or maybe for a kid to show in costume. Meanwhile she will remain my little Nadie Pooh that lives to be pampered and adored. For right now she is "my therapy horse." I truly think my conversations with her after a hard day at work help my cling to a shred of sanity. I go to extremes to keep her from getting in foal. Just this week I panicked thinking she looks like she is with child. I started stressing about maybe it happened through the fence. Then I noticed she is obviously cycling now. She is just a tad short and wide and not much is going to change that unless she gets a workout plan and diet.
default_eat.gif

Latest posts

Back