Unwanted in need minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamondinmypocket

Reaction score
It has been brought to my attention that there are unwanted in need minis. I would greatly like to know where to look for such?

You can try one of the miniature horse rescues. Chances Miniature horse rescue is the biggest (or at least probably the most known) in the states: http://www.chancesminihorserescue.org/index.htm And, there is Triple H rescue in ND: http://www.hhhmhr.org/ And, PipSqueak Paddocks in Canada: http://www.pipsqueakpaddocks.com/welcome.cfm I'm sure there are probably more in different areas, but these are the ones I know of.

If you have horse experience, you might be able to bring home a mini in need from an auction (I'm talking the general auctions at livestock yards, rather than private auctions).

None in Texas. I have been to those auctions. Makes me sick in my heart. I know the killers see the horses they buy and watch those horses leave forever. I know I cant help them all. But my years in Animal Control when I had to decide the fate of animals I took care of left me unable to continue in any animal related job. And I was a vet tech for many years before.

I lost all but one cat through a divorce. My horses were the first to go, so I had time to find good homes. It has taken me 7 years to even think about letting a horse into my life.

Through another post I started, I was told so many need help. So I am opening that door to see what might walk through. I am not posting an ad. But my heart is open. I have one mini who has never been alone. She cried all night for a week untill I asked a trusted well respected expert who said get a goat. Wasnt in my plan but for her I did. I have never had a goat. Bumbling my way through but I dont know if I am doing it right. Another mini I think would be better. I am only doing what I can for her. I am no expert, I am human. I will die with so little knowledge no matter what I learn. But my heart is huge. A downfall sometimes. But I AM trying my best.

I do not want any bashing. I had enough of that up untill 2 years ago. I am slowly starting over. Trying to rebuild what I lost. End of story.

P.S. I have a goat expert on hand.

Minis in need are everywhere, you just have to keep an eye out for them--you might find them at a sale, you might find them in an ad in the paper or on line, or you might find them at a rescue.

Craigslist is crawling with minis for money. I check daily for various things. I am in Texas. I am on the side of rescues, but I am a private by nature and local rescue likes to visit many times which I understand. Just too many people for my battleworn psyche.

It's true. Way too many Minis being bred and for no good reason, except someone thought it would be fun to breed their mare, regardless of quality and a miserable market. Have you thought of maybe placing an ad on CL saying something like, "Willing to give unwanted Mini Horse, a good home as company for mine." I wouldn't be surprised if you got several inquiries.

You might also join a few all-breed forums and ask there. I often see people who know of Minis needing homes or who have just been given or rescued one, on such forums.

Lizzie

We usually have one or two at our local Horse Rescue - Colorado Horse Rescue. You could check the ones in your area.

The big horse rescues, animal control, any livestock auction, craigslist, they are everywhere. Even the local dog rescue group has been getting calls from people trying to get rid of horses, ponies, and minis because of the hay situation.

I was offered a herd of 12 mares and a stallion less than a month ago that had been picked up on a starvation case. There are just as many big horses that people just can't afford to feed and they are trying everything to get rid of them including turning them loose.

It is a sad situation when people cannot afford to feed them and can't seem to give them away either. That is the very reason why none of mine are bred. I don't care what kind of papers you have on them or what kind of show record they have, it doesn't protect them from ending up in a rescue situation. There are a lot of breeders out there that are still breeding everything on the place that is breeding age and some of them have just quit registering the stud colts and either giving them away or selling them for what they can get even if it is $10.

There has always been an overabundance of horses being bred and there always will but I can certainly do my part to not add to the ones on the market. We have had 4 foals in the last 25 years and they were all for our enjoyment and never for sale.

To find one or some that need rescue, start with calling the local animal control.

Mary

Where in Texas do you live? I know of a fella that is trying to find new homes for 5 mares and a stallion. They are located in Miles, Texas outside of San Angelo. I know you are not looking for 5, but he might make a deal on one or pair ( mother and daughter).

My last three horses are rescues and the latest is a mini! We absolutely adore her and will continue to rescue, although I'm waiting awhile on the next one! How far are you willing to have a horse shipped? I know a couple places that ALWAYS has minis available and in desperate need of a home but they aren't to close to you.

Back