unregistered mare---question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHF Fancy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to miniature horses. I've had mini donkeys for several years but this past summer I came across a 3 year old mini mare who was in a very bad situation. I absolutely could not leave her there and I'm so glad I brought her home. My little mare is so sweet and willing and I've lightly started her driving training. My problem is, she is not registered. The person I got her from never registered her and was going through a divorce so he "misplaced" her papers. I've tried several times to get in touch with him but he never responds. I have no idea what farm she came from or who her sire and dam are. I'd love to show her this year but I've been told that even on the local levels she must be registered. I have no intention of ever breeding her as I am not experienced enough for that and she doesn't have the correct conformation for it. Should I register her with the World Class Registry and will that suffice for local shows or should I spend the money and try to hardship her with the AMHA?

I'd also like to know how to go about learning more about mini bloodlines and such. Now that I've been bitten by the mini bug I would like to add another to my family and would like this one to be registered and of show quality.

Thank you

If she is of decent quality, I would try hardshipping her. For AMHA you must wait til she is five years old. I dont know about the other registry. Once you have her A papers, you can use those to register her R as well if you want. Have you tried looking for an updated address or phone number for the person you got her from? Perhaps due to the divorce he has moved? If he no longer has the paperwork, at least he could give you the name of the people he got her from, and you could deal directly with them?

If he owned the sire and dam, perhaps you can trace some info down through the registries for horses that were under his name? Many times the registries can be helpful with info....

I have tried his home phone, cell phone and email but he just doesn't answer me. He bought her as a weanling so the farm she came from is a mystery.

If the mare is extra nice and already five than you might consider hardshipping. If you have the room there are a lot of very reasonably priced show quality horses out there you could buy for a little more than what it would cost to hardship and you could just keep your mare as a pet to drive around home. Getting papers from people who have lost interest is just about impossible, very frustrating. I know there are people that like World Class, I am not one of them but if it will get you papers to show her at local Fairs that might work for her.

To hardship her in A she has to be five years old and 34" or under. It will cost $600 plus DNA testing and inspection. Sometimes you can catch a board member at a show so the inspection is not an issue. Sorry it is so blunt and to the point but, I hope it does answer your question of how she can be registered. I believe she has to have the A papers to be hardshipped into R. Some R people can help with that. If she is over 34" she can not be registered A and therefore can not be registered R.

If you don't live right near WCMHR, you won't get to go to any shows. There are NONE for that registry in the West, and those papers are the same to me as being unregistered.

Can you go to the man's house and/or send him a registered letter? That might help get a response from him. If not, then assess what your mare's quality is.

If she is enough quality, then you could hardship her and figure that as the "purchase" price of such a nice mare. In reality, $600 is nothing for a high-quality, breeding-age mare, so that is no problem (at least to me).

If you could talk with the man and offer to pay the lost paperwork fees to get her original papers, it would be worth it. Once you have A papers, you can also transfer her over to AMHR.

Good luck!

Liz M.

You could hardship her into WCMHR for $75. (I belive)
default_yes.gif

If all you want is to show at some local shows that require registration papers, and the rules don't specify any specific registry, then the WC papers may work just fine. However, before putting the money out for the papers I would contact someone associated with those local shows & find out for sure if WC papers will be sufficient.

Here the local fairs offer a good variety of Mini classes, but the rules do say that the horses must be registered. They don't make any mention of what registries are or are not acceptable, and I think for those shows the WC papers would work okay. Actually in my years of showing at the fairs around here never once was I asked for the papers on my horses. The rules say that registration papers much be available & I always had copies with me, but was never asked to produce them. I'm quite sure that if someone did ask to see papers they would be perfectly happy if WC papers were produced, though I doubt that anyone here does use anything but AMHA or AMHR papers--people here just don't seem to bother with the WC registry.

Keep in mind that many on this board have encountered problems in getting their WC paperwork. Some seem to get their papers okay, while others wait months & months & still never see their papers. Just something to keep in mind when sending in your money.

Please don't discourage people from registering with World Class. Plans are now in the making for a club and shows in Calif. There really IS a lot of interest in WCMHR and the registry is growing. There are two clubs in the east. One is in Maine (I think) and the other is in New York.

You didn't say what color the mare is or if she's pinto. If she is pinto, then the Pinto Horse Registry has a mini division. Just another possibility; if she is pinto.

If that is her in your avatar, she looks like she might qualify as a pinto. She only needs 2 square inches of white with pink skin - tail hair counts too, if it comes from pink skin. Go to www.pinto.org for the info on registration and you can download the forms you need. It is pretty inexpensive. There are lots of pinto shows around the country, and many (if not most) offer driving and other performance classes, plus halter classes, just for minis. Pinto awards national points at their shows that can earn you and your horse prestitious awards. Plus the shows are fun!

Well --- if you are driving her and simply want to show at DRIVING SHOWS in VSE category (Very Small Equine) she does not need to be registered at all. These are not BREED Shows --- they are accredited by the American Driving Society or the Carriage Association of America --- they are ADT (Arena Driving Trials) or CDE (Combined Driving Events).

They are a whole lot of fun - even more so with a mini.

email me if you want more info and don't get it on this thread.. [email protected]

JJay

Thanks everyone. My mare would qualify as a pinto so I will look into their registry.

I do just want to drive her but was told by the woman who runs most of the shows in my area that she does need to be registered. So far, no one has ever been asked to produce proof but if asked I must be able to show that she is indeed registered. Hardshipping her into the AMHA is very expensive considering I have no intention of ever breeding my mare. World Class may be the way to go or the Pinto Association.

If you got the mare for a very reasonable price, the hardshipping is not that bad, considering what you would spend on an A registered mare anyway. And why not be able to show at several types of shows? A, R, Pinto, etc... what fun!

I would send him a certified letter- that way you know he got it, begging him to at least let you know where the mare came from or something. Did he promise you the papers when you bought her? If so, that is not nice to not follow through.

My mare is almost 37 inches(with one partial blue eye) which would make her a B mare so does that eliminate hardshipping? When I bought her she was so underweight with the longest hooves I've ever seen and had double eye infections. I basically bought her to remove her from her current neglectful situation. I had no idea she'd turn out to be a wonderful little gal with the sweetest temperament. I just knew I could not leave her where she was or she would have died. The previous owner said he had her papers at one time but when he got divorced and moved he may have lost them or his ex wife has them. If the ex has them then I doubt I'll ever see them. I know he never registered her in his name as he said he had the original papers from the breeder.

yes -- 37" would eliminate her from AMHA hardshipping.

Sounds like you are right -- Worlds and Pinto are your best bet.

Latest posts

Back