Tyzzer's Disease

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janis

Reaction score
We have a very sick foal and the vet says he thinks he has Tyzzer's Disease. He doesn't give him much hope. It has to do with the liver.

Does anyone know anything about this disease?

Tyzzer's is a clostrium bacteria that lives in the soil, and only a very small percentage of foals are succeptible to it. It destroys the foal's liver very quickly. I've seen 3 foals with Tyzzer's (2 of ours, about 15 years apart) and they all deteriorated and died within a matter of hours, despite intensive treatment at the vet's.

However, recently here on the forum there was a story about a foal who was diagnosed with Tyzzer's and survived!

Thanks Kendra,

He's survived thru the night and still seems alert and not dehydrated. We're trying to keep him hydrated and confortable. The vet doesn't give him much hope and everything I've read doesn't either, but we're not giving up on him. He seems to be a fighter.

I did a search on here for Tyzzer's but didn't get a hit. I'm hoping someone out there knows something more about it that can help us.

I will send you a PM with my freind's email addy, so you can talk to her. Have your Vet's contact the Vetrinary College of PEI, Canada.

This colt of her's beat the odds, and is doing amazingly well. He just had his two week check up since being home, and passed with flying colours!!

I hadn't heard of this disease either. That's what's wonderful about this forum....always learning new things! I hope your colt beats the odds and gets better!
default_pray.gif
:pray

I asked my vet about this when the previous foal on the forum came down with it. It is caused by clostridium bacteria. We routinely give plasma to all our newborn foals and the vet uses a plasma that has clostridium antibodies in it. Clostridium is in the soil. I'm glad to know that there is a way to prevent it, although plasma is a bit expensive. Since the illness is usually fatal, I think the money is worth it to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
As of this morning our little guy is holding his own thanks to Sue and her lovely friend that had just saved her little colt. He received his plasma transfusion around 10:30 last night and is doing good. We are still praying that he'll make it but still know what the odds are.

Keep us in your prayers

Thanks again to Sue - you may have saved our little guy.

I had never heard about it before either until I read this thread. Saying huge prayers for your little one! This forum is just amazing with all of the knowledge and experience!! Thank you to everyone!!

Latest posts

Back