Twoie - She's home

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniwhinny

Reaction score
I feel so guilty hogging the message board with all my Twoie posts but from all the responses, PM's and e-mails I know that people really do care.

So here's the latest.

We brought Twoie home today.

Her vet and I are still in close contact but there was nothing more they could do for her there except give her meds and make her comfortable. I can do that here.

Her protein is off the charts. Today her white blood cell count is off the charts. Both very low. She's shaking like a leaf despite being in her stall, in the sun (doors open - barrier is up) with a foal blanket covering her with towels under it. She's not in any pain.

IF she gets diarreah (sp) in the next 3 days we are going to loose her. We're fighting not to let that happen. The vet wants us to call her if that happens, she will put Twoie down at that point because she will be suffering more than she needs to. She was very clear on that. She said that that would be the end :no:

I've shared my life with this brave little lady for 3 years now and I know her. I know from her face and eyes that she is a sick little horse. I can't believe things have gone so horribly wrong. We were expecting so much joy. I've never cried so much in my life.

She's on

Electrolytes in her water.

Metronidazole

Gastroguard

Saccaromyces Boulardi

and Biosponge

We're at the end of our journey. It's all up to her now. We've done everything we can possibly do. Our hearts are aching with such utter sadness.

The next 72 hours will tell us where her spirit needs to be.

:no: Glenn :no: Danna :no: Andrew :no: Matthew

Clickmini...I pm'd you. Our vet knows someone in your vets office and has a call in. I'm afraid Twoie has too many things wrong now....but any hope is worth pursuing.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I am hoping for a full recovery for Twoie! Sending good thoughs your way...

I am so sorry for everything Twoie is going through. I'm really hoping and praying that she will pull through this!!

[SIZE=12pt]thinking of Twoie and you all, i can say i know what you are feeling as i am going through something similar and it is horrible. tears running down my cheeks, Nikki[/SIZE]

Danna,

I can't find your phone number! Call me!

Did you pass on the info from ClickMini's post? This doesn't make sense!

This is NOT a good day for many of us.......... Sending you prayers/White Light/tears........

Call me!

MA

I'll be praying for that miracle for sure!!!! Get well Twoie!!

Tammie~

Twoie, I am praying for you.. You have been threw so much, but keep fighting.. YOur a strong little girl and your human mommie loves you..
default_wub.png
: We all love you and you are in all of our prayers and thoughts..

I'm soooo sorry. You are all in my prayers. Miracles do happen, but if her time comes take comfort in knowing you did everything you could for, and you gave her love that a lot of animals never experience. She knows how much you love her, and that will be a comfort to her no matter what happens.

Danna, I am praying so hard for your girl!!! I will answer your PM in the next few minutes, I just got online and what I told you the other day while on the phone stands no matter what and I have something added to tell you as well. Hang in there and give your brave girl a hug for me.

Praying for that miracle, and they do sometimes happen. MY PRAYERS ALSO FOR YOU, as you face whatever the future brings.

Rita

Sometimes I hate this world so much for all the unfairness that I can scream.....and I do!

This is news that I didn't want to hear. I thought that everything was going to be fine, and now we have Twoie fighting for her little life. I read up on peritonitis which is what you said your vets feared. I hope there is a way they are wrong, or they can fix it.

I am so sad for you. I'd pray, but I gave up praying long time ago, so instead, I will just try to send you possitive energy and well wishes that something will take hold and that Twoie will be granted her life, for your sake. Pease know that someone on a mountaintop cares, is thinking of you and Twoie night and day.

default_crybaby.gif
: Oh no. I am so sorry, but I know you have probably run out of the funds to keep her at the vets and are now just praying for that miracle. I wish I could help you, but I can't...I am caring for two households at this moment.

Ally had all of those things wrong too. She got better. It seemed a miracle to me. Keep Twoie hydrated, that is so important. She needs fluids in her tissue to keep things flushing. Sending hugs and hope your way,

default_crybaby.gif
: Oh no. I am so sorry, but I know you have probably run out of the funds to keep her at the vets and are now just praying for that miracle. I wish I could help you, but I can't...I am caring for two households at this moment.

Ally had all of those things wrong too. She got better. It seemed a miracle to me. Keep Twoie hydrated, that is so important. She needs fluids in her tissue to keep things flushing. Sending hugs and hope your way,

I can't tell you how much this has cost. When we were in there last week a QH came in to be put down. The gal was so sad and said that they'd already put $3000 into healing him and he still wasn't getting well. Gosh, we spent that on day one...but it shows that we all (unless we're millionares) have limits and to be honest...day one was our limit. Kids to feed, Bills to pay. The past 3 days tests alone ran $1200 a day. It's horrible to have money make an influence but there does come a point when every test has been done and nothing is helping, when your hospital doesn't know why things are happeneing and each day is costing thousands (on top of thousands and thousands and thousands already spent) that you have to say enough even though it breaks your heart because you naturally leave thinking..."oh maybe that next test would be the one"..or maybe the test after that". But we've been doing that and even the vet said she doesn't know what's caused all of this. She said it may even be a reaction and damage from the banamine because some horses metabolisms just can't handle it. I have all the meds here to give her that the vet was giving her. She is drinking well. She has access to 2 water buckets. One with plain water and one with electrolytes in it. Hay, grain, and a salt lick.

This afternoon was gorgeous so I opened that back door so the sun came in to the barn. Ozy came over and lay down right by her door and fell asleep there so she has company too. Which is nice.

Thank you all for your thoughts and well wishes. I'm just so sick over this. I know in the big scheme of things she's just a little horse...but as they say "she's my little horse". I truely believe that we've tried everything we can. My vet is going to call tonight and if Twoie changes I have her private cell number too.

Pease know that someone on a mountaintop cares, is thinking of you and Twoie night and day.
I do know. ((((HUGS))))

[SIZE=12pt]thinking of Twoie and you all, i can say i know what you are feeling as i am going through something similar and it is horrible. tears running down my cheeks, Nikki[/SIZE]
Oh Hon, I wish I was closer...we could give each other big hugs...but because we're not ...here's mine [SIZE=18pt](((((HUGS))))))[/SIZE]

have you tried feeding her green grass?? no one knows why but this brought a mare of frans out of a similiar situation while at the hospital. started walking her on green grass and that finally got her started to recovery. they were about to give up hope on her. her problems started after foalign also

sending prayers!

There are lots of us out here praying for your baby.Keep telling her how much you love her.I really believe they understand and can feel the love you have for her.She loves you too and you can feel that.Whatever the outcome the 2 of you are together.I know how difficult it is.I've been there and so have many of your Forum family. Prayers and hugs coming your way.

I will be on pins and needles until she recovers, as I am sure many will. I really hope your vet gets ahold of mine. I do know how much you are spending, I spent over $8k on Ally, it took me months and months to pay off...I know that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach as you have to make the decision, I was hysterical when I was just about ready to sign off my foal's euthanization paperwork because I couldn't financially continue, but nor could I sign that paper...decided to wait one more night to see if she would improve but she grew her angel wings that night and spared me the awful decision...then Ally got sick one week later and spent ANOTHER week in the hospital, it was the worst year ever for my horses, I had two career-ending injuries on my big horses as well. I spent ALL YEAR doctoring horses and spent over $16,000 in vet bills. I didn't show last year because my morale and pocketbook had hit rock bottom. I pray and pray your little Twoie makes it thru this!!! I pray you are spared a loss on top of all of this...

SENDING HUGE HUGS AND HEALING THOUGHTS TO ALL OF YOU DOWN IN OREGON!

have you tried feeding her green grass??
The forcast for tomorrow is clear, sunny and blue so I plan on letting her out into the paddock in the front. We're slow to get our spring growth here (too cold still at night) so although there is nice grass coming through there's no worry of her overeating it. Thanks for the advice. I planned on letting her out there anyway but didn't know of the theraputic values.

I was hysterical when I was just about ready to sign off my foal's euthanization paperwork because I couldn't financially continue, but nor could I sign that paper...decided to wait one more night to see if she would improve but she grew her angel wings that night and spared me the awful decision...then Ally got sick one week later and spent ANOTHER week in the hospital, it was the worst year ever for my horses, I had two career-ending injuries on my big horses as well. I spent ALL YEAR doctoring horses and spent over $16,000 in vet bills. I didn't show last year because my morale and pocketbook had hit rock bottom. I pray and pray your little Twoie makes it thru this!!! I pray you are spared a loss on top of all of this...

SENDING HUGE HUGS AND HEALING THOUGHTS TO ALL OF YOU DOWN IN OREGON!
Oh my gosh.

I already told Ozy...don't run and play...you break a leg we're gonna have to shoot you on the spot 'cus Twoies used your health care for the year LOL.

A few people have mentioned that they have had mares sick and then get better only to get sick again when bred again. There's one thing here for sure. WHEN Twoie gets better she has a life of complete luxury ahead of her because the vets said that she almost certainly would never be able to carry a baby again. It's not worth the risk of even trying to find out incase she has some weak tissue in there after all of this. In fact I may even look into getting her spayed if things still look the same after a good recovery time.

See how positive you guys are all making me feel. I love you all so much.

I just got online and what I told you the other day while on the phone stands no matter what and I have something added to tell you as well.
Smoking that horse dung again Danielle??????? Next you'll be shaving your head *grin*

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back