turnout 24/7 vs. indoor stall

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several very happy neglected horses at the moment then to, add me and mine to the list!

Right now, the only horse i have stalled is a weanling shetland filly that goes out in the daytime and i only bring her in at night to be stalled. Everyone else is outside with the option of run in sheds.

During show season, for the most part they are stalled most the time with light daily turnout.

Mine enjoy it outside and like the option of having their own freedom to come in and go out as they please
default_smile.png
. I have some of the happiest neglected horses on the planet then!
default_new_shocked.gif

I don't think there are any wrong answers but I firmly believe that horses should not be incarcerated and live a life locked up in a stall. Providing shelter from the elements is the key and there are more ways than one to accomplish that effectively. It is what suits you and your horses. I like the idea of run in sheds a lot, but I can't depend that the horses will get under cover when need be so that decision is made by me. We had a bad heat wave this summer with temps that hit 106 degrees. My horses were not out there in that. Also, my son's horse was struck by lightening so leaving a horse out 24-7 for us is out of the question plus we do have predators. Our horses are stalled at night and always in bad weather. That is what the barn was built for, their protection.

Then we ran out of space in the main barn so this week we built two more stalls (still underconstruction). Maybe you would like this idea:

The new little barn is 12 X 24 with two 12 X 12 stalls and a removable stall divider. It opens into a large paddock,. I keep the stall doors open so the two horses over there can go in and out as they please. That paddock in turn, opens up into a grassy field. So I can also open up that gate for their grazing time.

So this is actually a run in situation but I still have the option of containing them within the first paddock or letting them access the field or closing them their stalls when needed. (which I most definately will in severe weather). The little barn and paddock is located inside the main barn yard so not a good chance of predators getting through three fences to get in there. I like it a lot because this gives the horses the best of both worlds, plus I won't be worried about them when bad weather strikes either.

This is what it looks like now. We have a lot more work on it to do:

AAbarn3.jpg

My personal feeling is that I don't want a horse that I have to keep penned up any more than I would want a dog that I had to keep tied up all the time. It just doesn't seem like the thing to do unless you have absolutely no choice. They need exercise and as much freedom to move around and play as we can give them. JMHO

Every time this subject comes up there is always a right and wrong expressed here and the truth is there is no one answer. Every horse and situation is different.

I didnt pay for a 10 stall barn to not use it.

Myhorses are turned out during the day and stalled every night it works for me. I can see who is drinking how much, who is or is not eating all there food, who is passing normal amounts of manure- for me this is important.

Each horse has there own space to not have to worry about herd dynamics (those on the bottom) and relax.

I can tell you in the heat of the day mine RUN for the barn and the auto fly system, in the rain mine run to the barn and they always have a dry place to lay down. So NO it is not every horses preference.

They surely dont need to be dragged to the barn as if they are going to prison.

Our Olympic horses are not turned out 24/7 in all kinds of weather and they are happy and healthy or wouldnt be at the top of there game so that is not a "death sentance" to a horse like I said every horse is different and all need and accept and like different types of living situations no different then people

The horses next door to me live out 24/7 with no shelter and one is like 32 years old so that can work to

So then it comes down to what you feel most comfortable with and what works for you and what you prefer and what makes you feel good :)

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you have all your bases covered. A good plan and very well thought out.

I also keep my horses out MOST times. We have abundant, beautiful shade trees to keep them cool in the summer sun, when they are turned out, but we do bring them in the barn when the weather warrants it. Most nights they sleep under the stars and they LOVE it.
default_yes.gif

wish I had the option of leaving them out 24/7 but we have a big predator problem here with the coyotes. My husband had to shoot 2 of them last week We had no option as in broad daylight they were hanging around the paddocks. Mine are all out all day with shelters but we bring them into the barn at night, so they are protected from the coyotes.
I was just curious on this if you have EVER had a coyote actually attack ?? Or are they just hanging around.

We have MANY coyotes they come into the side pasture everynight, and they run through the 20 acres in broad daylight, I have NEVER had one attack any of our animals, Unless ya count the mice that hang in the barn, lol

so Im just curoious,

We even had a huge ole bear come visit a few weeks back didnt expect that one, lol

Well if I tried to lock up my two little mares I think there would be big trouble! They have a big deep run in shed that is bedded with straw against the far wall. This is where their feeding panel is as well. When they feel like coming in they do and are usually inside at night by dark. Mornings though will find them outside well before daylight. I actually supervise their meals so I know who is consuming what. That's also my way of making sure they are feeling okay. If someone doesn't want to eat then I call the vet.

As for the cleaning part, I find it would be just as much work as if they were stalled in a barn. Perhaps more as they have a bigger area in which to spread their little presents around. The important thing though is that they are happy with being able to come and go as they please and just be horses. In my mind there is no logic for the most part as to when they are in or out. Sometimes they come in during rain/snow and other times not. I suppose it depends on their mood that day.
default_biggrin.png

Hopefully your hubby will be persuaded by all of us other neglectful sorts here.
default_wink.png

I agree. Mine would think they were hostage if I locked them in. They have access to two three sided stalls and they can come and go as they please. They seem happier. Even my mares in foal seem to get ticked when I keep them up all the time to foal watch.

I think it would be great for his moral to have another mini as a companion. Even tho my mini 27 inche stud had a full size mule mare for a companion. He loved her and she loved him. Then she moved on and he was back with the rest of the minis but they did ok with the three side stalls for them to come and go as they please. They love to lay down and sun when the sun is out and if they are in a stall they can not do that.

I like mine the way they are sometimes I worry about them and if there is snow coming (which in north Georgia is infrequent) I want to fasten them up but I restrain myself and let them be horses. I do keep an eye on them in case one of them gets to shivering for some reason or just looks off then I pull them in and fasten them up til they are not shivering anymore. But I keep a close eye on them and I watch their water in take because we had a mare one time (big mare) who did not like drinking the cold water and she colic with a impaction and had to go stay with the vet. Other then that we have uneventful winters.............

Good luck and get your little one a companion . That will warm his heart and his body to have a buddy to stay with and share things with.

We keep ours outside with the option of going in a shelter if they want. They grow really, I mean really woolly coats. One of my horses seems to grow a mane around his chest like a collie or lion. And we have winter blankets for 'em if it gets under 45 degrees or so. They like to go in a run in stall for the windblock or sun if its summer. Just gotta keep fly control though. Seems like those flies like barns even if they are clean. Anyhow, lots of horses live outside and as long as they have a shelter as an option they'll be fine.

If you are going to keep them out 24/7 just make sure you have an adaquate amount of shelters- otherwise the horse(s) lower on the pecking order dont get shelter when they need it but more when they are allowed.

Even in a single large shelter the lower horses might not go in afraid of the dominant horse

Oh, will add that the broodmares due to foal are stalled at night as they are under a camera and on monitors for foaling, but they go back out after they foal. They dont really like being stalled and I think get bored easily- thus creating bad habits like cribbing, chewing, weaving, etc.... (not all do, but some)

Our big horses used to stand outside when it was snowing, though they had the OPTION to walk into a big open barn. They didnt use it much but as long as you have some sort of protection for them if they choose, and yes, their heavy coats are their insulation. They were made to survive in harsh climates, etc...

In answer to someone asking about coyotes, when we lived in eastern Oregon we had coyotes come in sometimes at night and literally eat calves while they are being born! Not always, but it did happen once in a great while, so it is something to watch for. They didnt seem to bother any once they were born and up... but Minis are much smaller and it just bears watching... I dont trust the danged things sometimes, especially when you have a small pack....

Well, I'm kind of going against the trend here -- my horses are out pretty much every day, BUT, I DO bring them in at night to individual stalls. They LOVE
default_wub.png
their stalls and I like the ability to monitor everyone's food & vitamin intake and adjust as necessary. I also like to be able to see all my horses in a good lighting situation (I work and so it usually dark in the morning when I feed and also when I get home) and be able to check them out for anything unusual. I also like to be able to let them dry completely out each night so that their skin is not constantly wet (remember, I live in the Pacific NW = lots of rain = rainrot/fungus!) And then can't forget the fact that we live in the woods and have cougars, bears, and coyotes prowling around that would be happy to take a mini if given the chance.

My barn has 32" tall walls so the horses get plenty of "neighbor" time and I leave the doors partially open so that they get a good cross-ventilation - no colds or crud at my place and I get the chance to be "mommy". Just the way I prefer to take care of things.
default_yes.gif

Stacy

Back