Tucker is sick.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just letting you know that I'm sending you good thoughts
default_yes.gif

Hey Tucker, what the heck you thinking there boy upsetting your mama? I think that sometimes an incubation period for some cooties to show up in a horse are 7-10 days so that could go hand and hand with your farrier bringing something in. Co-incidence? Maybe. That's probably reaching but an idea to investigate.

I totally understand you. The new local vet here is a joke and couldn't find her assets with both hands and refers everyone to the hospital because of her shortcomings. Hauling to the hospital around here is a major production too; its a long 100 mile ride over dangerous narrow winding roads, usually zero visability between here and there with the fog so I do try everything I can on my own first. I can't haul the trailer so I have to depend on finding the Hus and getting him to do it.

So I do the wait and see thing a little bit too lik everyone else and try to cover my bases but only to a point. I don't wait too long though. I keep penicilin on hand as well as bute and banamine, smz, anti-hist etc. and other supplies just in case. If I know what I'm dealing with that's one case but if its something that I can't put my finger on such as the 104.5 temp, weenie and major wus that I am would have probably made me push the panic button because then I figure I am out of my league. If there is a diagnoisis then I'd have a clue of what I'm up against and the proper course of treatment but I'm not real good at taking a shot in the dark either so its always such a judgement call for me. I do like to start out with probios and ulcer meds because that can't hurt and I think that is very wise of you to add that to the regimine. You can also add gatorade or pedialite to his feed and make a mash. Sounds like you are getting a handle on this and hope Tucker continues to rally. Keep a close on on everyone else and hope this doesn't spread whatever it turns out to be. Crossing the finger and toes for you.

Good luck Tucker and get well soon. This is harder on your mama that it is on you!

I haven't read through all the responses. But in my experience it never hurts to run a cath and get plenty of IV fluids into them. If you are dealing with virus, colic, whatever, it is just simpler to not have to deal with dehydration as well. Especially since it is such a simple thing to run a cath and some fluids.

I would also be giving him plenty of probios, maybe some gastroguard to prevent ulcers. Especially since you are giving him SMZ's and banamine.

Alfalfa is good for ulcer prevention too.

Like I said, I didnt read through all the replies so these things might have already been mentioned or done.
It'd help if I was more familiar with the procedure, I'm sure. But she said he'd have to be stalled while it was in and I knew that would create a LOT of stress for him.

It can be done by either a drip or a tube via the nose into the stomach. I have done both for one of my mares that suffers from colic. Both are easy.

It can be done by either a drip or a tube via the nose into the stomach. I have done both for one of my mares that suffers from colic. Both are easy.
The vet said it would have to be cleaned 3-4 times a day... and I worried about exposing him to more germs with it. I don't know how long she wanted him to have it in, but it was to be for the duration of the oxytet--and keeping him stalled that long--yikes. If his temp didn't break he would have one now--but since his temp was down, I didn't want to go that route.

That sounds like she plans on leaving the cath in?? I would certainly speak to your 'favorite' vet, because I would think if it became necessary to hydrate him if could be a 'one-shot' deal to give him a boost -- not a constant thing. Besides, it sounds like he's moving forward, and I, too, would be wary of anything that could be a possible site of infection -- because that would be a bacterial infection, which he certainly does NOT need.

And is sounds like she's back to the Oxytet -- not the hydration element. Hydration is one thing, oxytet is something different...

Again, JMHO ~~ Diane

Oh--if it was a one time deal I never would have hesitated--she meant to leave it in! I just didn't want that.

Okay--update--Tucker is better! No temp and he hasn't been down since I got home--well it's only been 45 min, but hey--that's good. Mark wasn't here all day but only saw him down once and that was in the shade with Mazie. He had his first dose of GG--$56 for a 4 dose tube!!
default_new_shocked.gif
It better work wonders.
default_wink.png

Gypsy was down when I came home and she's never down--but she's my gas colic girl. I was just taking Tucker to graze when down she went right in the walkway between two pastures. Got her into her stall--no temp--and she's feisty begging for food. I'm not worried about her--she's done this before. It's 77 out today--so must be the change in temps.

You are having quite a time. Must be driving you "buggy".

Hope everyone gets over their issues SOON
default_new_shocked.gif
While it's horrible to be dealing with this stuff it is helpful for the forum members and gives us lots of hints to store in our memory banks for the inevitability of some kind of issue or another with our animals.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and good luck.

Yeah, my vet will put the cath in their neck. (Just like when they are pulling blood for coggins, except a different needle with a cath that is left in) Then we give the IV which usually takes about 15 minutes. They are usually just held by someone or tied to the trailer and we watch them to make sure they dont get it out.

Ive had several horses who for some reason or another are sick or colicy. And giving them the IV and keeping them hydrated till they feel better has always seemed to help them heal faster.

Sending prayers for both AND you! This must be frustrating and tiring for you. But you're doing good!
default_pray.gif

Thanks!! The hardest part is wanting to be two places at once! I love my class this year--best one I've had in a long time and I deserve them!
default_laugh.png
I hate leaving them--but I hate being away from a horse who may need me. Mostly I want to watch Tucker every minute.

Speaking of watching him
default_biggrin.png
he is still laying down now and then but for much shorter times and he gets up to eat. So--improvements there. I'm expecting more positive news onw that he has GG in him. I can't wait to see what he drinks tonight. Another good sign was when I grazed him this afternoon--he fought me on stopping.
default_laugh.png

Gypsy is already better. All her talking was to get out of her stall-and she hasn't been down since. She needed to have a toot.
default_wink.png
Wish I had waited 10 min on the Banimine. lol

You are having quite a time. Must be driving you "buggy".

Hope everyone gets over their issues SOON
default_new_shocked.gif
While it's horrible to be dealing with this stuff it is helpful for the forum members and gives us lots of hints to store in our memory banks for the inevitability of some kind of issue or another with our animals.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and good luck.
I don't post much now--but it sure is nice to know all of you are there when I need you. I hope something here will help someone else. The Tums were a great hint and I'll give them every time I start meds. I've never dealt with catheter options or ulcers either. I never knew what low/high wbc counts or temps indicated. This has been very informative for me. When one of my horses is sick or pregnant--I learn a lot.
default_yes.gif

Funny--Tucker is so used to having his temp taken, I took it while he was standing in the barn--not haltered and with the other horses around. I scratched his rump while we were waiting--then he started to groom with his mama. It cracked me up.

Yeah, my vet will put the cath in their neck. (Just like when they are pulling blood for coggins, except a different needle with a cath that is left in) Then we give the IV which usually takes about 15 minutes. They are usually just held by someone or tied to the trailer and we watch them to make sure they dont get it out.

Ive had several horses who for some reason or another are sick or colicy. And giving them the IV and keeping them hydrated till they feel better has always seemed to help them heal faster.
That is good to know--that the "do it once then take it out" option is..well, an option. The second (favrotie) vet I talked to said an IV of fluids can do wonders.

But--leaving it in just spooked me I guess. I was so glad the temp came down when it did so I could say no to it--but if had been a one time deal....

Tucker--what is the big deal? Just drink the danged water!!!
default_wacko.png
:wacko
default_wacko.png
:wacko

He's up more--eating more--but he is not drinking enough. His hay is soaked, he's had dew soaked grass--and applesauce and water with meds. He has a bucket with a bit of Karos syrup and a bucket with some Gatorade. He drank a tiny bit of the Gatorade...not enough. He hasn't peed in his stall tonight, yet. He did have one good poop.

WHY is it so hard for him just to drink the blasted water????? :arg! :arg! :arg!

He may not be drinking as much due to the soaked hay and other liquids you are giving him. I find that my minis that we soak hay on drink way less then the minis that do not get soaked hay. Just a thought. It can not hurt though to have a vet come and run some fluids in. It may help ease your mind and give him a quick pick me up to.

Well, you can contact your vet and tell her/him that you will agree to having him hydrated, as discussed above, but you just want him hydrated -- no meds, and you don't want an in-dwelling catheter. It can't hurt, and could help get him a 'jump-start' and make it less worrisome for you!

default_wink.png
I might do that. I woke at 1:15--couldn't sleep wondering if he's lowered the level of his buckets. I head to the barn and he hasn't. And he resting. I gave him baby carrots in water, then took him to graze for 20 minutes. He rewarded me by peeing--about 4 seconds worth. Hard to tell color in the dark--but it wasn't pale. A decent amount--but the first since stalled at 7:00. He grazed with gusto. I cleaned up his wet hay and gave him some dry--the wet makes a mess of his stall, esp if he doesn't eat it all. I dumped both waters and just gave him plain water. He had about half the poops of everyone else. And everyone else is drinking a lot due to it being a warm night. Sigh.

I'm trying. But a shot of fluids is looking like a good idea.

Oh--I wanted to tell Midnight that the grass here is still lush due to rain... not dry at all.

He may not be drinking as much due to the soaked hay and other liquids you are giving him. I find that my minis that we soak hay on drink way less then the minis that do not get soaked hay. Just a thought. It can not hurt though to have a vet come and run some fluids in. It may help ease your mind and give him a quick pick me up to.
Oh--we were posting at the same time. Thanks for that reminder!! Maybe the soaked hay did keep him hydrated enough. Thank you!

I'll talk to the vet tomorrow.

I'd better try to sleep.

Hi there, hope he is back to normal soon. Have you thought of trying electrolytes? Just a thought. Sending you (and him ) hugs xxx

Along with the wet hay, wet food, wet 'treats' plus the longer spells on lush grass, he may well be getting more fluid than you think.

Not suggesting that you dont talk to your vet about extra hydrating for him, but just thinking about my two boys who are eating dry food, good grass for 3 to 4 hours a day and dry hay ad lib all the time they are in - they never drink more than 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of water each per day. Mind you the weather is cool/cold here - what are the temps like where you are?

How did Tucker do today?? Any update!

default_pray.gif
.Praying for good news!

Thanks Anna and mrsj for your comments. Appreciated. The temps here warmed to 77 yesterday and 73 today--but it's humid.

Thanks for checking in, Diane.
default_smile.png

Well--this morning Tucker hadn't touched his water, but seemed perky. I took him out at 5:00 AM to graze--and he was stuffing it in. lol He ate with the herd all morning, until I left for work. When I got home, just for me, he was standing in the front pasture and peed a long stream and from sitting in the van--it looked rather light in color. Mazie was getting in my line of vision.
default_rolleyes.gif
I fed them all hay and he ate right with the herd. Then I put him out back on grass for 30 min with two buddies in muzzles.

When I brought the three horses off the back pasture Gypsy was a crazy lady and was bucking and leaping with all four hooves off the ground. Tucker ran around with the others for a bit. He's lost a few lbs and looks amazing. I'lhaveatoto get picture. He took my breath away with his movement.

I never saw him lay down once today and he's been with the herd. So many times this week he's wandered to be by himself. Tucked them in at 7:00. I checked them at 8:15 to give him meds and a bunch of carrots--and he was still eating. He had played in one of two water buckets I have in his stall (hey--maybe he wants blue when he's had green???
default_laugh.png
)--I could tell from the TC30 grains in the bottom. That's his routine--to drink after eating his supplement. He didn't drink much though--barely any.

BUT, there's enough good stuff happening for me to stop worrying and checking him. I made myself NOT take his temp tonight. He's going to be fine. I'll of course keep watch over water intake--as I always do with all my horses. I think he's still tired--not at his usual energy level.

Talking to the vet--she called to say the Potomac Fever test was negative.
default_wink.png
She doesn't think he has ulcers at all and said I could save the last dosages of GG because she didn't think he needed them, but I've decided to give them to him over the next few days to play it safe. She said ulcers are more an issue with horses who are shown/raced/on two meal a day so the acid build in their bellies. She thinks this was just a virus. The other vet said we'll probably never know for sure what it was.

Thanks for keeping me company through this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah!! So glad he is feeling better!!

Ulcers can develop from any number of things, like weaning, separating, medications, training, showing, racing and many other things. It is not just in show and race horses. I think you are very smart to give him the ulcer meds. It certainly does not hurt and will help his tummy with all the meds he is getting.

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
Wonderful news
aktion033.gif
I am so happy for you and Tucker, Keep up the good work
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back