Tucker is sick.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called the vet. I got to talk to my favorite one! He said it's all good--poops, eating more, no temp...and that he'd give one more dose of Banamine to ease whatever discomfort Tucker is having. And to keep with the SMZs...and ProBios was fine. He did not seem concerned. He didn't mention ulcers--and I didn't think of that--never have experienced it before. Tucker is showing no signs of pain in his belly. So--I'll see if this helps and see how he is tomorrow and go from there. If he's the same tomorrow I'll call back to ask about ulcers.

Thanks!

I asked about the catheter and he said when fluids are run through it really perks an animal up--so that's why she suggested it.

I know we often feel our horses couldn't possibly be stressed, as they live the easy life, but the strangest things seem to stress certain horses, so like the last couple posters mentioned, I'd now look into ulcers. The treatment certainly won't hurt him, and can definitely help.

I have one horses with whom I've learned my lesson; he stays on his supplements year round, including a daily ulcer med (U-Gard pellets work for him); regardless of how well he seems to be doing. He goes down hill fast if not kept up wiht all his extras.

I know we often feel our horses couldn't possibly be stressed, as they live the easy life, but the strangest things seem to stress certain horses, so like the last couple posters mentioned, I'd now look into ulcers. The treatment certainly won't hurt him, and can definitely help.

I have one horses with whom I've learned my lesson; he stays on his supplements year round, including a daily ulcer med (U-Gard pellets work for him); regardless of how well he seems to be doing. He goes down hill fast if not kept up wiht all his extras.
I will definitely look into this. I had Gastro-Gard in the fridge for Rosie when she had Laminitus--but it was outdated so I tossed it. I am calling the vet tomorrow to pick up more ProBios--so will ask the large animal person to run ulcers by the vet and if he thinks it'd help--I'll add those meds too.

You're so right--I do think my horses lead a very unstressed life so would never have thought of this.
default_smile.png
I wish I had read these before I called the vet. Sigh.

I'd be giving Gastroguard/Omeprazole, too, at this point. Willow developed what we think were severe ulcers after her bout with colitis/PHF last year. 30 days on that and she never looked back (along with other treatments, of course).

P.S. My vet gave me a MUCH cheaper suspension of Omeprazole (the active ingredient in Gastroguard); I can't imagine how much I would have spent if I had to give her that brand name, crazy expensive, Gastroguard for 30 days
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My little filly does not seem like the "ulcer type" if there is such a thing.

It also didn't seem like she was in pain. Just laying down a lot and actually eating grass while laying down.

The ulcer meds. did the trick and I keep a close eye on her. I don't think ulcer meds would hurt anything even if it turns out that wasn't the culprit.

Even if Tucker didn't have ulcers to start with, with the Banamine and SMZs he has been getting I would consider treating him. Do you have any alfalfa you could give him (in any form)? Or even Tums or Maalox if you can't get Gastroguard right away. The Probios is also good. I know any time I take antibiotics it kinda throws my whole GI system off, so I always eat some yogurt with active cultures to add some "good" bacteria. Probios will do the same thing for him.

We have been battling the same thing. Just got back from Nationals. Got back on Fri., on Sun. our mare was laying down to eat, and when I took temps 2 horses had 103, 102, and one was normal. On Sun. night I called the vet, and she had me give them a shot of pennicillin and Banamine for the fever. They improved on the fever, but two would not eat their grain. They are now on Uniprim in their food. Since they don't want to eat, I mixed it with applesauce and gave it by syring. Plus, our mare has ulcers now on top of it. Out vet says that white count will go down with a viral infection, but won't with a bacterial. Sounds like your little one has a viral infection. Our mare was even trying to pee at one point, but couldn't. Again, the vet says bacterial. I hope your little one gets well soon. They called us with the price for UlcerGuard......OOCH.......$30.00 a tube, need 16 tubes they said.........OOCH! Good luck, will pray for your little one along with mine.

I would offer him straight alfalfa, too (soaked for a while until you see he's drinking well). And ulcer meds are certainly in order. Gastroguard is quite expensive, so many times I use Maalox super strength or a generic and syringe it in the mouth. Mine like the flavored 'mint' kind. I also have a gallon of a pink "stomach soother" that has little or no flavor that I use, too. I make a "cocktail" of the Maalox and stomach soother, with a little added extra Pribios powder and squirt in their mouths. There's a bit of lip or head shaking when I'm done (some just don't like it), but I've had good results with it.

Continued prayers for Tucker!
default_pray.gif
Thanks! I appreciate everyone replying! I will get on this right away. I tried putting SMZs in yogurt--but Tucker hated it. He had the last ProBios tonight--and TSC did have the powdered form, but I didn't know what to do with it so I was waiting for the tube. So--rather than GG I could give Maalox and ProBios? That seems easier. He's getting so much syringed into him.
default_rolleyes.gif
How do I know how much to give--or is too much not a problem?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited to add--We have Tums kind of tablets! There is fruite flavored and mint--I'm headed to the barn with mint! Yay.

Oh--his temp tonight was 97.9. It's gone down about 1 degree the last three times I've taken it--but it's getting kind of low now.
default_unsure.png

Thanks! I appreciate everyone replying! I will get on this right away. I tried putting SMZs in yogurt--but Tucker hated it.
I use no sugar added applesauce and get little to no complaints, I still end up syringing to be sure they get it all, but they are pretty accepting of the applesauce mix. [i know it costs more, but since I use so little, I buy baby applesauce to mix with, then I don't have to worry about what to do with the extra applesauce. I've also used the little single serve cups too. The baby kind is nice, as it comes in resealable containers.]

I use no sugar added applesauce and get little to no complaints, I still end up syringing to be sure they get it all, but they are pretty accepting of the applesauce mix. [i know it costs more, but since I use so little, I buy baby applesauce to mix with, then I don't have to worry about what to do with the extra applesauce. I've also used the little single serve cups too. The baby kind is nice, as it comes in resealable containers.]
I did the applesauce after the yogurt and it worked, but not as smoothly as Karos. He ate three Tums--right out of my hand tonight. That was easy--how refreshing.
default_smile.png

Oh--the doc I talked to said to add Karos to his water, which I did. I checked him 30 min ago and he had a great poop--but hadn't touched his water. Dang it. He was not laying down though! One step at a time.
default_wink.png

Make sure you soak his hay and basically offer everything soaked or wet down. The laying down can be ulcers or it can be the start of being uncomfortable/colicy (esp. if he isn't drinking) Hand grazing for 10 minutes at a time every few hours is a great way to add hydration too. Just make sure you push the fluids.

Is he peeing and what color is it? Are you checking for signs of dehydration?

Also a lot of time it seems after a virus that presents with a high temp, when it breaks their temp gets low. My vet said not to worry.

I agree with everyone that says soak or wet his hay, you could also try getting some alfalfa pellets and soaking those until they turn to mush and offer that to him as well. You could try adding molasses to his water, or a really soupy bran mash. Are you giving him any salt or electrolytes?

luvsminis, is your vet going by your horses actual weight? Equine weight tapes arent correct for minis, you have to weigh them on a vet scale, or use a certain formula to figure their weight. Roughly each tube of ulcergard treats a mini 4 times when treating to cure ulcers, so you should actually need 8 tubes (7.5, but you cant buy half doses) I think your vet is probably over estimating your horses weight, and thinking they require half the amount a big horse does. I have yet to see a 600lb mini, lol. Each tube treats 1200lbs when treating ulcers, and Ive found that most adult minis are between 250-300lbs

Once your done treating the ulcers for a month, you can give it as a preventative, and the dose is 1/8 a tube once daily.

My morning:

Got up at 4:45 to tend to Tucker's needs. I mixed the SMZs with applesauce for extra fluids. Added Tums to the menu. He was up when I went out, but hadn't drank any water. He had some poops--but not as many as the day before. He left a lot of hay--but I gave him a lot. I got his meds down him and syringed some water into him--2-3 tubes. I know we have to be careful with that--I went slowly. Tempo was 99.

I took him to graze on very dewy grass for 20 minutes. He loved it. Got him back to the barn and fed TC30 to everyone--he ate all his! It's only a heaping tbsp, but he hasn't eaten it for three days. I soaked some hay for everyone--but not for long. I took T's water bucket (has Karos in it) to him to play and he drank a little! Got everyone out for hay.

While I was cleaning stalls Tucker came in and drank heartily from the 16 gal bucket! I held my breath and watched--he drank a long time. I checked--he lowered it 3/4"!! Happiness!! Once he returned to eat hay--he didn't stay long, but wandered off to watch the corn field--he seemed on alert. But he stayed over there, so I took some wet hay over to him and he's eating it there. Kind of sad--looks like he's an outcast, but there was no unusual behavior in the herd--Gypsy was a bossy brat as usual. I had them all a bit closer to keep the hay on the cement pad rather than soil.

So--I'll call the vet to pick up GastroGuard...and ProBios... and go from there. I'm at work until 4:00--I'll take him out to hand graze again then. My husband is off today so when he's here will watch to see how much Tucker is laying down--and email me at work.

Is he peeing and what color is it? Are you checking for signs of dehydration?

Also a lot of time it seems after a virus that presents with a high temp, when it breaks their temp gets low. My vet said not to worry.

I agree with everyone that says soak or wet his hay, you could also try getting some alfalfa pellets and soaking those until they turn to mush and offer that to him as well. You could try adding molasses to his water, or a really soupy bran mash. Are you giving him any salt or electrolytes?
Thanks for the te mp news--I remember that is the case with humans. He was 99 this morning--perfect. My hay is grass... I don't know where to get alfalfa. I sprinkled salt on his hay/mat and even hand fed him a bit last night. He has a salt block at all times. He peed only once last night--hard to tell the color due to shavings. His cap refill time was slow this morning, but I'm hoping with the 20 min of very wet grass, wet hay, and his drinking this morning, and with adding Tums last night and this morning and GG tonight--things will turn around.

I really hate having to work at times like these. I might be able to get out early--the asst principal is very supportive about these kinds of issue. I'll update when I get home and check him out.

Sigh.

Edited to add I hand grazed him for another 15 min just now---so that will give him more good stuff. He has not laid down since 5:00 AM! Mark is going to feed him a few Tums around noon.

So sorry Tucker isnt feeling well.

Even if Tucker didn't have ulcers to start with, with the Banamine and SMZs he has been getting I would consider treating him.
I totally agree with that. I have even had a big horse that got ulcers after only two days on banamine.

We have had a couple gas colics recently. I think ours is due to wildy varying temps. Once day its 80 and the next its 60.

Sending good thoughts to Tucker to feel better

Thanks Kay--

Vet has left a tube of GastroGuard for me--and I'm to give him one 250 lb dose a day until it's gone. He'll get his first dose tonight. Mark said he saw him lay down once (which is always does in the morning to nap) but he's been eating.

I appreciate the replies/support/good wishes. I'm relieved it's not a life threatening issue--all manageable.

I'll graze him when I get home too.

This might be a dumb question, but why do you keep a grazing muzzle on them? This time of year, I don't think there is much grass to get ill on. My horses are out from 8am to 5pm and I have never thought to put a muzzle on mine. So I was just wondering.

This might be a dumb question, but why do you keep a grazing muzzle on them? This time of year, I don't think there is much grass to get ill on. My horses are out from 8am to 5pm and I have never thought to put a muzzle on mine. So I was just wondering.
No dumb questions.
default_wink.png

Two Mays ago Rosie got laminitis. She can't be on grass. In order to keep her with the herd we killed the grass in three pastures. Once all the horses were off grass. they lost weight and looked better-so much better. Now the others aren't used to being on grass, so I muzzle them to keep from having more trouble. We just rearranged fencing out back so there will be more pasture open to them in the spring. There's a shadow of green they can munch on--and that's enough. They get lots of hay. Rosie is now content eating hay and watching the others on grass. The others dive into their muzzles because they know where they are going.

I haven't read through all the responses. But in my experience it never hurts to run a cath and get plenty of IV fluids into them. If you are dealing with virus, colic, whatever, it is just simpler to not have to deal with dehydration as well. Especially since it is such a simple thing to run a cath and some fluids.

I would also be giving him plenty of probios, maybe some gastroguard to prevent ulcers. Especially since you are giving him SMZ's and banamine.

Alfalfa is good for ulcer prevention too.

Like I said, I didnt read through all the replies so these things might have already been mentioned or done.

Latest posts

Back