Tucker is sick.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One good way to get them to drink if they are feeling o.k is to cut up an apple or a carrot and put it in a bucket with about 2-3 inches of water. It will take them a while to get all the pieces and they will take in water in the meantime. ( my youngsters love it and I often do this on rainy days to kill boredom if they are stalled)

I am sending prayers that you find out soon and that he makes a full a fast recovery.

Hugs Renee

Nothing to add, but just wanted to say that I'm still saying prayers and sending healing thoughts for Tucker - hope that temp is still down this morning.
default_yes.gif

Good morning--thank you for the positive thoughts and good wishes--

Tucker's temp was 99.8 this morning--no Banamine in his system, so that's wonderful. He had several poops in his stall and one was pretty soft--still formed--but a little cow ploppy and I'm thinking that's from the Karos syrup. He didn't eat or drink.

I let him out and he ate grass with the herd for 10 minutes then wandered off and stood behind a fence from the herd. I took treats to him and he enjoyed those.

I loved the apples/carrots idea--but we only have tomatoes, lettuce, bananas and nectarines! So, I tried a nectarine in a bit or water, but he didn't like it. He tried! Chloe liked those.
default_rolleyes.gif

I am taking a half day so will be home at noon with apples and carrots... and see what the vet thinks. She may want to still do a CBC but thank goodness he won't need a catheter.

Thanks again!
default_saludando.gif

Sounding good!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Fingers crossed.
default_wub.png
Thanks--and yes it does. I just checked my husband's garden for a carrot--but he fed them to the rabbits and his garden is done. So--I peeked at Tucker again and he was eating hay with his pals.

Happy sight.

Thats wonderful news, I will keep praying for a total recovery very soon.

Okay--this is this wierd, or am I missing something?

I called the vet's office this morning and left the news that Tucker's temp was 100.8 last night and 99.8 this morning. The message said he wasn't drinking or eating well, but he had great poops. The doc was supposed to call back to let me know her thoughts. She left a voice mail (I couldn't answer) and said she said because he wasn't 100% she still thought the catheter and oxyitet was a good idea! I was stunned. Doesn't that seem extreme?

I said no--I didn't want to go that route, but I would definitely be calling if the fever came back.

I bought aples and carrots on the wsay to school--and am leaving for home in 15 min. I'll check replies then--but am I off base??? What would you do??

hhhmmmm, well I am not a vet so I don't know what to say but I would ask your vet to explain what she wants to do and where that will lead you. Not eating and drinking is not a good thing even if he is still pooping.

Karla, I am NO expert, but I believe the same "wait and see" theory with most things too. I too am unsure why your vet still wanted to go a head with the catheter? I would have responded the same way you did, and the only thing I would also do is ask why the vet felt that it was still needed? If it were "just to be on the safe side" then I'd say stick to your guns and continue to watch. Again this is only my humble opinion and I am not a vet... Sending prayers to your boy!!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing she said in her voice mail was "because he isn't 100%." But gosh--if he's been sick for two days, I'm thinking he needs a few days to 100% recoup.
default_unsure.png

Diane--the Lyme test was negative...the Potomac takes a few days to get, but he doesn't have the runs at all--so she should realize it's not that.

I'm home now--he was laying down in the pasture when I drove in. He got up when I came out to the barn and easily walked to his stall. He started looking for strands of hay once in there. I got him some and he's been eating for an hour. He didn't want apples or carrots. Bummer.

Temp is 98.9 That is nearly low--but with humans it's common to go a little low after being high?
default_unsure.png

He pawed in his stall for a bit and laid down for 2 minutes before getting up for more hay. This is the steadiest he's eaten since this started. I fed him treats--he loved those. I did notice many crumbs fall out when he's chewing them. But he doesn't lose hay.

I had left in the message for the vet the idea of checking his teeth--but he'd need sedating for a good check and I didn't know if she'd want to do that when he's not feeling perfect. She never brought the subject up.

I still feel he's on the mend. That's what the signs are saying....

Sometimes a sub-normal temp can just mean a virus -- rather than a bacterial infection which sends the temp upwards. And virus' take a little time to run their 'course'

Sounds like he may be on the mend -- and I agree, after being sick a couple of days, he needs time to 'regroup' and feel 100%.

I'm no vet, but I'd be doing exactly what you're doing, too.

Are you soaking his hay? That will help get more fluid into him, and shouldn't discourage him from eating it. At least you'll know he's getting water -- even if it's not from the bucket!
default_wink.png

Thanks for the vote of confidence!
default_wink.png
Soaking hay--great idea! Thank you! I read that earlier on here and hadn't done that yet. Will do that in a few minutes.

Angie--my horse buddy--looked it up and a low wbc count (what Tucker had) means virus, and a high wbc count means baterial... So I have been thinking virus all along.

Just keep a close eye on him, like you've been doing! If you notice any subtle changes that seem to be going 'backwards' then you can adjust what you're doing. But sometimes, just not feeling good can cause them to lay down in a place they feel safe.

Just my opinion, remember.
default_wink.png
You have no idea how I appreciate your being willing to share your opinion.
default_biggrin.png

Well--he ate a bunch of baby carrots--he just didn't want them in water.
default_rolleyes.gif
He nibbled on more hay. He took a nap. Then when he was fussing I opened the door to his stall and he didn't hesitate to escape. Then--and this is the biggest sign he's feeling better--he walked to be with his herd and spent a little time getting even with Mazie for bugging him.
default_laugh.png
He was standing up front when I decided to muzzle horses and let them on grass out back--and he came at a fast trot to see where everyone was going. I let him graze muzzleless for 10 minutes, then I put his muzzle on too. He kept on eating. No since adding something new to his diet--even 10 min of grass is more than he ever gets. I thought it'd have more water than hay. He always drinks a lot after being on pasture--so hopefully that will happen.

Thanks for the support! I'm feeling better about this every hour. If I didn't know what he'd been through, I might not know there was anything wrong right now.

Karla that is great news, lets keep our fingers crossed that he is on the mend.

I just saw this topic and read through it. So glad he seems to be on the mend.

((((HUGS))))

Barbie

He's laying down a LOT. He was laying down this morning at 5:00 AM--and he was laying down when I came home and when I put them in the back pasture on grass, he laid down part ot the time but he kept eating. As soon as I brought them up--he went to his favorite spot to lay down again. I took a run and was gone 17 min and when I got back he was in a different place but laying down. He never rolls or looks at his side. He looks content and peaceful.

What the heck??? Is this just part of recouping? Should I worry??

Edited to add I did some research on this and the info all says it's either normal--they are resting--or it's colic--which I feel positive it isn't--or it's a neurological issue like WN and he's been vaccinated.

It's just way more than he should be laying down.

The other piece of this that niggles at me is about a week or more ago when I was taking him for a walk, he started stopping and backing. I assumed he was just trying a new stunt and urged him forward for a walk. He did it on the last two walks we took--the last at least four days before he started this. Now I have to wonder if he wasn't feeling well then--although he was showing no other signs if illness.

I was really hoping once the fever was gone we'd be home free.

Like Genie, I would definitely think ulcers may be the culprit. I would be treating him aggressively for that. Ranitidine 3 X day plus UlcerGard 1 X day. Even if ulcers weren't the first problem, anytime a horse is not feeling well for any reason, ulcers can develop when they are under stress.

Latest posts

Back