Trying to guess at how far along my mare is

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnight89

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just trying to guess at how far along my mare is and thought you'd all have more experience than me! Lol I bought her already pregnant and she was free bred out in pasture. The lady I bought her off said "ahhh any time between June first till beginning of august" :| I can ( and have been able to for awhile, weeks ) feel the foal kick like crazy. I can also physically see the foal move now. She's getting pretty round but still empty udders!

I don't think you can tell by looking, and depending on his the foal is positioned, the mare can look huge one day and slimmer the next. With experience, a lot of breeders can see when the foal is moving into position by the look below the ribs toward the hips (muscle contour).

Keep an eye on her udder, the consistency of her poop, and her appetite. Its also really good to vaccinate (flu, rhino, encephalitis, and tetanus but not rabies if I'm remembering right) about 30 days pre-foaling.

Best of luck!

If you could take pictures of her broadside and directly behind her, at her level; that would help us. Is she a maiden?

If you can visibility see the foal move, she is over five months, quite possibly within the last two months.

Welcome! You have come to the right place. Yes please do post photos
default_yes.gif
Since she was bred the months of June to beginning of August if you'd like you can use our foaling calculator to get some due dates CLICK HERE

Here are some links where you can read some information that you'll need.

Suggested foaling kit items

Preparing yourself for the birth of your foal -. CLICK HERE

Foaling sequence and other important information - CLICK HERE

Additional Information about red bag deliveries - CLICK HERE

and this is our health and information index where you can find some other great articles..- CLICK HERE

Please don't hesitate to ask questions. There is always someone here with many years of experience who will be happy to help pass along information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back