Triple Crown Lite???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peggy

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the new Triple Crown Lite by Southern States that advertises as being a good feed for minis? We are thinking of putting out big FAT horses on it to take care of a weight problem that many of them seem to have right now. The vet was out today and says its a good idea for a few of the BIG ones. I was reading the literature on it and it says it is good for "easy keepers, Cushing's diagnosed horses, ponies, and minis". It is 12 % protein, 3% fat, and 20% fiber. We had cut our big horses to almost no grain a day because they were getting too fat. At least with this they'll be getting the vitimins and mnerals they need without the fat . I am still researshing. Any ideas?

I just switched over from LMF Lo Carb Complete to TC Lite. It definitely seems like a good choice, especially for "easy keepers". There are others on the forum that I know use it, too.

The NSC (non-structural carbohydrate) level is relatively low - 13%. I like my guys on a little lower NSC level, but this seems okay for now.

Here's the analysis (from my Cushings/IR site):

http://www.sportshorses.com/samples/cstory...wnLite.none.htm

and the website:

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/lite.php

I do think it's a good idea for your guys, especially if there is a weight issue at hand (IR, laminitis, etc.)

Best,

Liz R.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using this right now for my donkeys, we just started with it as we hate Purina products for all species (wanna see goats get the poops? feed them Goat Chow!) and the only other feed available in 1 hour of us is Nutrena, which we were using, but have had major bug problems in and on it from our dealer (which is a brand new store. Ignorant owners and it's very disgusting). Went whining back to the Purina dealer and low and behold, he has a new product, which someone custom ordered 2 weeks prior and never picked up. Made me a good deal on it and the donkeys love it. It's an excellent product with quality ingredients!

I highly recommend Triple Crown Lite for any easy keeper. I have used it myself for several years now and am perfectly happy with the results. It is cost effective as well. 8 oz per day for a 250 lb mini is all that is needed to deliver the full guaranteed analysis -- that means a full complement of vitamins and minerals without need for supplementation. It has no grain in it other than wheat middlings, which is why it is so low in starch and sugar. It is a pelleted product and seemingly very palatable (in an alfalfa base). I have not had a horse think twice about eating it, though I do have some that do not care for Triple Crown 30 which is their version of a ration balancer.

The ingredients in the Triple Crown Lite are top notch, high quality, and the feed has been very consistent. Be aware that all that Triple Crown products are highly supplemented with selenium, so it would be unwise to feed a selenium supplement along with them.

I also feed this to my 1100 lb 20 year old QH mare. Everyone who visits comments on how beautiful she is and have no idea she is a senior citizen.

I feel the TCL along with alfalfa and grass hay, beet pulp, black oil sunflower seed and flax seed. Here's the results:

buffbdw.jpg

Robin C

I used Triple Crown Lite for 8 months on a FAT unbred mini mare. She dropped weight better than on ANYTHING else I tried.

I changed feeds because, I feed a straight grass hay and she didn't look like she was getting enough protein, she took on a hollowed out appearance.

I am now using Gro N Win and grass hay, she is just slightly heavier than I would like but I think over the winter she should lose that little bit of weight.

I may go back to the Triple Crown Lite and Alfalfa Cubes and grass hay for show season.

I feed TC Lite to my fatties -- and TC Complete to the dwarves and aged -- TC Growth to young and very pregnant horses.

Love all 3 products

JJay

Back