winter laminitis What information can you share?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chanda--I can get the straight Tim pellets...at our TSC. I have straight grass hay though. It seems weird to have to buy her those when I have grass hay. I just need to get it tested. I emailed the place and they said if I didn't have a probe what to do--but Coop Ext should have one I can borrow (rather than open 12-20 bales)--that's what I need to fit into my day.

Lucky--vet said no x-rays until she's 6 weeks past the episode.

I know you said you have straight grass hay, but if it happens to be high in sugar, the pellets average around that 10% target level, so might be safer for her to eat right now. [Might also perk her up to have some rattle in her dish.] The rinsed, soaked and rinsed again beet pulp would be below that 10% safe level; and you could make up a weeks worth on the weekend and refrigerate or freeze, perhaps make up daily meals in baggies and pull them out as you need them (just add some fresh warm water to make a little soupy or even to just warm it up before feeding).

Update--esp for you, Chanda--our modem quit so no home computer since Sat--hopping it comes today so we are connected again. The hay has been tested and is sent in for analysis--results soon. I've emailed other Coop Ext folks and one vet replied and said late cut grass hay should be very low in sugar/carbs, as compared to early cut hay. Mazie's hooves are still warm--I'm still soaking twice a day, but I'm panicking. I contacted a horse vet and she is coming tomorrow to do blood work. I told her the whole story and she felt bloos work was essential at this point. So... onward.

Mazie is walking around at will and yesterday when I came home she trotted enthusiasticallyfrom the back with the others--but on snow. Once she got to hard ground she walked. This was her first day not being stalled while I'm at work. She doesn't hesitate to walk, but is sure stiff on hard ground. It snowed a little, so hopefully she'll hang on in it some today.

Farrier comes again Monday.

Wanted to add--one vet who emailed me said those pellets are made with top quality hay so too rich! He said to not use any of them.

Just keep in mind that for many recovery can be a long, slow, process (and I mean looooooong and slooooooow) even when all the right management strategies are in place. Prepare yourself mentally and emotionally for that possibility and don't let your guard down for a minute.

Good luck. Founder is a horrible thing which is why I spend most of my life obsessing about preventing it in the rest of my herd. Two chronic founders is two too many for me.

Love the equine vet that came out--and am switching to her. She is doing over $250 of blood tests on Mazie to figure this out. She can see no outward reason for her laminitis, but is suspecting low thyroid. This is from me telling her Mazie is my itchy horse---and she's had an itchy horse test low in this area. There is a IR test, and many others. Should know in a few days. She said she'd prefer Banamine to soaking hooves because B is an anti-inflammatory. This was good news to me. It's a low dose--she is not worried about ulcers but said Gastrogard every three days wouldn't hurt. She loved how well cared for the horses are--and so easy to handle. :)

Sounds like you got a good vet with a good stall-side manner.

With the one dog I've had with low thyroid, skin irritation was the major symptom. Then she just started looking like heck. Thyroid medication straightened things right up. Here's hoping for an equine equivalent!

If your horse turns out to have low thyroid, make sure they are getting enough iodine. They're feed or vitamin supplement should have iodine in it, but check to make sure. Iodine is VERY important for both horses and humans, especially if you're on the west coast with all the radiation (which you're not, but it's still important).
default_smile.png

Don't have time at the moment to read everything... But if you soak the grass hay for 20-30 mins and drain off the "tea" water, it will leach out a lot of the sugar and your little one can have more to eat.

remission those who use this product is it safe for pregnancy mares?

I haven't use any of these products.I was just wondering.

thanks

While the package says Remission is not recommended for pregnant mares, I have given it during pregnancy without adverse reactions (not saying do it just because I have, but just letting you know); but I do take the mare off while nursing, as the magnesium seems to go into the milk and gives baby the runs. I give a teaspoon to my B-size minis (tablespoon is dosage for full-size horse).

Can you give remission with vit and minerals? Also can you give banemine if needed with remission?

Thanks

I just toss it in with their vit/min supplement and whatever else they get with their meal. [Remission is mostly a magnesium supplement, so still basically a vit/min.] I've given banamine or bute to horses that are on Remission without issue, but that is one you might run by your vet, depending on what type of banamine you use (their might be a protocol for timing if using oral banamine). [i usually give something like bute/banamine in the morning, and the horses get their grain with vit/min supplement in the evening.]

On Remission, my vet said it's the same stuff as Quiessence, just marketed differently. Remission is not as readily eaten as Quiessence, so you might want to go with that. I'll keep up with Remission since I have a 4 lb container. I hope they lick it up soon with more enthusiasm because I can easily get it at TSC.

My farrier said no more than 1/4 oz. per mini. The scoop is 1/2 oz. I've been just sprinkling it with the small amount of other stuff they get until they're used to it.

Mazie's hooves are cooler and she's walking normally now. Yesterday she came prancing up with the others--happy with warmer temps--and she did some impressive 180 turns in mid air, followed by bucks. Made my heart sing to see that. Sure wish I had caught it on video. 180...how did she do that? lol

I kept the old scoop, I like them better. Remission used to come with a double ended scoop; Tablespoon on one end (full-size dose for maintenance), teaspoon on the other (works for me for my B-size minis for maintenance). [Double the amount for loading dose.] It took awhile, but mine that need it all readily eat it now. [i think the scoop is now a tablespoon sized "bowl" scoop, with a line for teaspoon measurement.]

The old scoops are always better! lol I wish mine had the little scoop. I'll have to take out a measuring spoon.

Farrier here today--trimmed her again after just 2 weeks--said warm hooves grow faster. He's again coming in a month. He is not worried about rotation, says I can't take her for a walk on the road for at least two months, and he's very pleased with how she's walking normally.

Now to hear from the vet on blood tests.

Karla, if you want one, I'll send you one of those "old" scoops, I saved a couple extra.

Aww--you are sweet, Chanda. But knowing the little one measures a tsp is all I need. I have extra measuring spoons I can take to the barn. Thanks though! Hoping I hear on some blood test results today.

Back