Tri colored bay pinto = Bay Pinto

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seashells

Reaction score
Locally, I advertised a tricolored bay pinto mini mare for a friend, and the horse sold quickly. Now, this isn't world changing, and really must seem silly...

...but someone emailed to inform me technically it's called bay pinto and can only be called bay pinto.

So I said any pinto horse with three colors...is tricolored pinto, in this case, the horse was bay, black with white spots... and can be called tricolored bay pinto (I backed up with dictionary info.)

She replied, in her mind it's only bay pinto, and the dictionary is made by humans, which make mistakes.

I just left it alone.

However, today I thought to share this little conversation in hopes of getting your feedback on the matter.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the term "tricolored pinto" is a little silly because we all know it just means a bay pinto. "Tricolored" just makes it seem fancier imo. The terms are interchangeable though because its true; a bay pinto has three colors: brown, black, and white! People can be so silly sometimes in what they choose to correct people for!

Yes, for all extensive purposes, a tri colored pinto is a bay pinto, but I guess that a buckskin pinto could also be called a tri colored pinto. In the miniature horse world, it is referred to as a bay pinto, or if they have the gene, a bay overo pinto. I think the tri colored horse term comes from certain big horse backgrounds. People typically don't call pinto minis paints either, another full size horse term. It is just terms that carry over from other backgrounds. Some can read ads on the sales board and realize someone came from a certain full size horse background based on the terms they use (or just don't know otherwise).

Someone can call it whatever they choose, I still don't think I would ever have the nerve to email someone and tell them they were using the wrong term in their sales ad, LOL.

I have a mare that I call a tri coloured pinto. She is bay and white with black legs, ear tips, and black mane and tail. I have also had people tell me that I can't ask a different price for male and female puppies. I didn't know there was a "rule"
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

I think some people have too much time on their hands
default_no.gif

I have a mare that I call a tri coloured pinto. She is bay and white with black legs, ear tips, and black mane and tail. I have also had people tell me that I can't ask a different price for male and female puppies. I didn't know there was a "rule"
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

I think some people have too much time on their hands
default_no.gif
You're kidding, right?!! Did they tell you what price you should be asking for your puppies? How funny people are!!

People typically don't call pinto minis paints either, another full size horse term. I still don't think I would ever have the nerve to email someone and tell them they were using the wrong term in their sales ad, LOL.
A 'paint' is actually a particular type of horse, a 1/4horse with colour. It is one of those small things that drives me crazy (my husband still does it too
default_wacko.png
) ... just because a horse has pinto markings does not mean it is a paint, to be one would require that the sire and dam could be traced back to 1/4 horses. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, the Paint horse registry was started because AQHA was trying to eliminate the pinto colours from the breed and would refuse to register anything with too much white regardless of the fact that both parents held AQHA papers.

Now that I've gone off on a tangent I will say I would never e-mail to correct someone either. Unless of course it was a family member lol, in which case they'd tell me to get bent anyway
default_laugh.png

I would aways use the term bay pinto myself , as Carolyn said tri-colour could also mean buckskin pinto , I certainly wouldnt email someone to point it out though , there are some sad people around
default_laugh.png

A bay is brown with black mane and tail. You don't refer to a bay as bi-colored. I've always been told that a "true" tri colored horse doesn't exsist. If it did it would have to have black, brown, and white (or any other three colors i guess) on the BODY not counting mane and tail hair.

So does a bay with ermine marks on her feet make her a tri- color? My mare wants to know.

A 'paint' is actually a particular type of horse, a 1/4horse with colour. It is one of those small things that drives me crazy (my husband still does it too
default_wacko.png
) ... just because a horse has pinto markings does not mean it is a paint, to be one would require that the sire and dam could be traced back to 1/4 horses. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, the Paint horse registry was started because AQHA was trying to eliminate the pinto colours from the breed and would refuse to register anything with too much white regardless of the fact that both parents held AQHA papers.
While I fully understand the Paint Horse Registry, there were horses refered to as Paints LONG before that registry was started. Ever watch any old westerns and see the Indian's Paint ponies?

A bay is brown with black mane and tail. You don't refer to a bay as bi-colored. I've always been told that a "true" tri colored horse doesn't exsist. If it did it would have to have black, brown, and white (or any other three colors i guess) on the BODY not counting mane and tail hair.

So does a bay with ermine marks on her feet make her a tri- color? My mare wants to know.
Bays and buckskins have black legs as well...

I would consider my boy here to be "tri-colored"

173694x4.jpg

And while her black legs are kind of faded here, my bay pinto mare...

HPIM32361.jpg

I do understand the use of Tri- Coloured but it is incorrect.

A Bay Pinto is exactly that, whilst a Buckskin Pinto, which also has three colours on it's pattern, is also a Buckskin Pinto, not a Tri- Colour.

We already have enough confusion with the American additive of the word "overo", we really do not need any more!

Tri-Colour is a description and, in an advertisement, it is an unnecessary one.

The correct term is bay pinto. I mean really people can advertise any way they want but to knowledgeable horse people it is a turn off as it makes it seems as if the owner is not knowledgeable about their own horses.

"Paint" is a breed. Miniature horses are pinto
default_smile.png

Kay

"Real" horseman don't use "tri-colored". They are bay pinto, buckskin pinto, etc. IMHO, it makes the user look like a total novice... or worse.

Thanks for the feedback, I understand it's a personal choice for words. There are crazy pinto markings out there including pintos with two colors...so nothing wrong in using tri colored to describe a three colored pinto (as dictionary speaks of).

Certainly, I'm not novice...have owned horses since 1978, many breeds, disciplines...been there, done that. However, I'll never call myself an horse expert. Horse knowledge is endless!

"Real" horseman don't use tri colored made me smile. That's like saying "real" men don't wear pink. I don't know, it's all silly. I like to use the description tri colored and don't see the harm in it. In this case, the horse is a tri colored bay pinto...and sold right away to a wonderful home.
default_wub.png

I think you are missing the point a bit.

Yes, it may seem petty, just as the distinction between Paint and pinto may seem petty etc, but looking at things that way you may describe anything that you do not agree with as petty!

The fact is they are not Tri-coloured, in the same way a dog is Tri-coloured, for example, Bay has to have a black mane and tail, as does Buckskin, it comes with the territory, as it were. So Bay and White is brown body, black mane and tail (as a given) and white markings, notthree different colours, but a colour package (bay/buckskin) + white.

There is a difference.

And no, I do not think that serious horse people do use the term, it is very much a descriptive, lay persons, term.

I think you are missing the point a bit.

Yes, it may seem petty, just as the distinction between Paint and pinto may seem petty etc, but looking at things that way you may describe anything that you do not agree with as petty!

The fact is they are not Tri-coloured, in the same way a dog is Tri-coloured, for example, Bay has to have a black mane and tail, as does Buckskin, it comes with the territory, as it were. So Bay and White is brown body, black mane and tail (as a given) and white markings, notthree different colours, but a colour package (bay/buckskin) + white.

There is a difference.

And no, I do not think that serious horse people do use the term, it is very much a descriptive, lay persons, term.
I'm sorry, but a three colored horse can be described as tri colored. Nothing petty about it. Paint is a breed, and pinto is color. I could say tri colored paint if it had three colors on his body or "bay paint".

Tricoloured (horse)From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

A tri-coloured horseTri-coloured (archaic: oddbald) refers to a horse with three different coat colours in a pinto spotting pattern of large white and dark patches, usually bay (a reddish colour with a black mane and tail) and white.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact is they are not Tri-coloured, in the same way a dog is Tri-coloured,
I have to chuckle as I have been thinking this exact thing. We have one toy aussie and have picked another that will be coming home in April. Aussies come in a rainbow of colors, of those being a black tri or a red tri, I think I would deffinately chuckle if I came across a breeder that referred to them as bay pinto aussies, LOL.

The correct term is bay pinto. I mean really people can advertise any way they want but to knowledgeable horse people it is a turn off as it makes it seems as if the owner is not knowledgeable about their own horses.

"Paint" is a breed. Miniature horses are pinto
default_smile.png

Kay
100% agreed! Is is a total turnoff to me as an owner, breeder, exhibitor and judge to see someone 'ignorant' of their breed and it's terminology. I'd buy from them - but I'd expect a heckuva deal.

As an APHA owner - and PtHA owner - there are vast differences. Paint's a breed now - and anything can be colored pinto...

"Real" horseman don't use "tri-colored". They are bay pinto, buckskin pinto, etc. IMHO, it makes the user look like a total novice... or worse.
default_smile.png
Ironically we were just discussing this at a breed and judges meeting recently. Things that "real" horsemen do NOT say:

Confirmation

Tri-Colored

intermixing Paint and Pinto

calling something a stud colt

List goes on and on... but like what clothing you wear - REALLY does reflect negatively on what folks think of you...

I'm sorry, but a three colored horse can be described as tri colored. Nothing petty about it. Paint is a breed, and pinto is color. I could say tri colored paint if it had three colors on his body.

Tricoloured (horse)From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

A tri-coloured horseTri-coloured (archaic: oddbald) refers to a horse with three different coat colours in a pinto spotting pattern of large white and dark patches, usually bay (a reddish colour with a black mane and tail) and white.
Not sure quoting a site where ANYONE can enter a word/phrase and definition will help your cause here. You search on the words and defs on there- hilarious!

Back